Search results

1. Wayne Kohan

Question for swingers and hookups

So I fish for steelhead on the Columbia River, unfortunately competing for some areas with boaters who don't seem to understand good fly fishing etiquette. In any case, it is common for boats to go ripping past me way out on the river, or sometimes nearby, and they throw quite a wake. So if I...
  2. Wayne Kohan

Brrr

Today I decided to get one more trip to this lake before it closes for the year. The temperatures were predicted to be cool so I took my time leaving home this morning for the 3 hour drive. Found this on my arrival, but of course, that didn’t stop me. Launched my Sportsman’s Warehouse version...
  3. Wayne Kohan

Outcast OSG Summit float tube

I am, unfortunately, once again in the market for a new float tube. I’ve had a couple SFCs and love them, in the past year, one had a meeting with barbed wire, and then I bought a used one that looks like it had some sort of damage (sun?) and it decided to split just a little while fishing this...
  4. Wayne Kohan

Basin lake

I love this time of year for lake fishing. Rich and I headed out early to a nice basin lake. We decided on a nice hike as well, so we reached this lake by the lower trail, nearly a three mile hike each way. But before we got started, I had a blowout. Hmm, I was using the old cheaper float...
  5. Wayne Kohan

First steelhead day this fall

So steelhead season opened up today on my stretch of the big dammed river, so I headed up to “the last free flowing stretch” of this mighty river. I do realize it’s a Sunday, and I’m retired so generally allergic to fishing on the weekends, but I’m busy the next few days (tennis, golf...
  6. Wayne Kohan

Basin lake today

Fished a basin lake for about 3 hours today over the noon hour. Water temp was 67, so temps are dropping finally. I was the only one on the lake surprisingly as it is a drive up lake. And it closes in 2 weeks or so. Plan was to take my new-to-me Z-axis 5 weight for indicator/dry line fishing...
  7. Wayne Kohan

Balanced leech LDRs

I fish lakes almost exclusively, except for swinging for steelhead in the winters. I have done well with balanced leeches. This winter I tied up a bunch of balanced leeches on size 12 and 14 barbless jig hooks. I was fishing a couple weeks ago from my boat and hooked up multiple times but lost...
  8. Wayne Kohan

clueless about the Sound

I'll be visiting my daughter and son-in-law the first weekend in January, they live on Point No Point road right on the water. I have never fished the saltwater. Would it be worthwhile to bring the fishing rods, maybe some SRC action right out the back door?
  9. Wayne Kohan

Ugh, that sucks…

So after a few years of decreased steelhead returns to our area (Ringold), I had a good feeling about this year. I went out a couple times in October, had some grabs and landed one fish. Last Friday, I went out, landed one, had three tugs and had what was probably a coho on for a few minutes...
  10. Wayne Kohan

Some days… I’m just an idiot

Headed back up to Leech today for some dry fly action. My wife decided to join me so I took the boat. She likes to read as I fish. I hooked up the boat and headed up there on the 2.5 hour drive. I got the boat ready and backed it down the rough launch. As I was pushing the boat off the back...
  11. Wayne Kohan

Leech temp?

Looking for options for this week's trip somewhere. I suspect Leech temp is pushing high. Anyone been there lately? thanks
  12. Wayne Kohan

Clear Lake Yakima County

Anyone ever fish this lake? I've driven around it on a weekend and it was overflowing at the boat launch. I usually am just going to Leech, occasionally Dog, but have never fished Clear. The WDFW website is kinda intriguing with all the different type of fishes possible. I will likely head...