Some days… I’m just an idiot

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Headed back up to Leech today for some dry fly action. My wife decided to join me so I took the boat. She likes to read as I fish. I hooked up the boat and headed up there on the 2.5 hour drive. I got the boat ready and backed it down the rough launch. As I was pushing the boat off the back, the trailer lifted off the ball, as I had failed to lock the hitch down. Luckily it didn’t come off at 70 mph on the freeway. I hurriedly pushed the boat off the trailer and into the water. That’s when I realized I forgot to put the drain plugs in and boat started to fill with water. I have done that in the past and just crank the boat back up on the trailer, but not an option now as the trailer is still not attached to the truck. I quickly spin the boat around and locate the two plugs and get them in. Minimal water but gravel and about 15 tadpoles/frogs made it through the holes. I clean up my mess in the boat, anchor it, get the trailer attached and park the trailer and truck. I get my three rods out of their cases in the back of the truck, carry them in pieces to the boat, figuring I’d rig up out on the water. I place the rod pieces on a side tray of the boat and row out to the middle of the lake. I go to put my rods together and find about 4 inches of one of my rods broken off. But I can’t find the rest of that piece, searched everywhere for it after fishing with no luck. Not in the back of the truck or on the ground or anywhere in the boat, no idea when or how it broke or what happened to the missing section. Hmm.

By the way, fishing was awesome, landed about 15-20 fish and had at least that many on for a bit in about 4 hours of fishing. Most all were on the dry. I caught one fish that had to be a holdover rainbow, it was at least 20 inches and fat as could be. Water temp 65.5, up from 62 last week.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dang man. I can't believe the trailer didn't come off. Did you drive up 410 and 123? There's absolutely no way my trailer is staying on on those highways if not locked down. Even if you didn't have to go on the obstacle course that is 410 & 123, your boat must put most of the weight on the tongue.

Also good thing that launch is so shallow. The tadpoles are quite impressive there. Maybe they helped block some of the water from coming in the boat. :LOL:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Headed back up to Leech today for some dry fly action. My wife decided to join me so I took the boat. She likes to read as I fish. I hooked up the boat and headed up there on the 2.5 hour drive. I got the boat ready and backed it down the rough launch. As I was pushing the boat off the back, the trailer lifted off the ball, as I had failed to lock the hitch down. Luckily it didn’t come off at 70 mph on the freeway. I hurriedly pushed the boat off the trailer and into the water. That’s when I realized I forgot to put the drain plugs in and boat started to fill with water. I have done that in the past and just crank the boat back up on the trailer, but not an option now as the trailer is still not attached to the truck. I quickly spin the boat around and locate the two plugs and get them in. Minimal water but gravel and about 15 tadpoles/frogs made it through the holes. I clean up my mess in the boat, anchor it, get the trailer attached and park the trailer and truck. I get my three rods out of their cases in the back of the truck, carry them in pieces to the boat, figuring I’d rig up out on the water. I place the rod pieces on a side tray of the boat and row out to the middle of the lake. I go to put my rods together and find about 4 inches of one of my rods broken off. But I can’t find the rest of that piece, searched everywhere for it after fishing with no luck. Not in the back of the truck or on the ground or anywhere in the boat, no idea when or how it broke or what happened to the missing section. Hmm.

By the way, fishing was awesome, landed about 15-20 fish and had at least that many on for a bit in about 4 hours of fishing. Most all were on the dry. I caught one fish that had to be a holdover rainbow, it was at least 20 inches and fat as could be. Water temp 65.5, up from 62 last week.
Not locking the hitch is one I haven't done........ I joined two friends for a fishing adventure on Lake Roosevelt. Dusty had this printed out checklist - he used it at his house, at the launch when floating the boat and when he trailered it. I thought that was excessive, until......... yes, until I forgot the boat plug. Once I forgot my waders (twice), my wading boots - which became a nicnname. The worst? I got to Heller's Bar, no one was in the confluence run. No one! I grabbed my two rod carrying case: MT (empty).

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
The worst? I got to Heller's Bar, no one was in the confluence run. No one! I grabbed my two rod carrying case: MT (empty).
Pat - That is one of my constant worries... to make a trip that far and realize you've forgotten a crucial piece of equipment.

I've pretty much forgotten everything at one time or another... whether it was waders, boots, rod, reel, oars, battery, etc... Luckily so far it's only happened on local trips. But to drive all the way to the Ronde and have that happen... :sick:

-andy

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I'm most perplexed about the rod tip issue. I have the top 3 inches but the rest of the tip section is missing. How can that happen? Especially without noticing it? My only explanation is perhaps the rod tip section ended up in the oarlock somehow and the oar broke it off and the piece fell in the water. The rod is a self built Revelation, with a bright blue blank, hard to miss that rod piece laying somewhere. I would think I would notice if I broke it somewhere, anywhere, but by that time I was so befuddled by my boat launching experience.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven’t forgotten to lock the hitch, but over the years have forgotten many things. Reels are the most common…. On year on a September Deschutes steelhead float trip, my brother-in-law forgot his waders. I volunteered to drive him to Maupin where he could have rented a pair but he insisted on going without. It wasn’t too bad during the day and for evenings, but one morning he turned blue.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm most perplexed about the rod tip issue. I have the top 3 inches but the rest of the tip section is missing. How can that happen? Especially without noticing it? My only explanation is perhaps the rod tip section ended up in the oarlock somehow and the oar broke it off and the piece fell in the water. The rod is a self built Revelation, with a bright blue blank, hard to miss that rod piece laying somewhere. I would think I would notice if I broke it somewhere, anywhere, but by that time I was so befuddled by my boat launching experience.
Sometimes I have four fly rods in my 8-foot pram. Depending on the launch (brushy, narrow) I leave the rods in their carrying cases and finish rigging once away from the launch. The downside is the carrying cases take up a lot of space in a very small boat - but they protect my rods from damage. @Northern shared her secret to rod travel: https://www.pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/sedan-rod-travel.1123/#post-27588 I've become a fan of these sleeves.