Basin lake today

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Fished a basin lake for about 3 hours today over the noon hour. Water temp was 67, so temps are dropping finally. I was the only one on the lake surprisingly as it is a drive up lake. And it closes in 2 weeks or so. Plan was to take my new-to-me Z-axis 5 weight for indicator/dry line fishing and my 6 weight with a type VI full sink. When I arrived at the lake I realized I had my 4 weight instead of the 6 weight. So I thought I would fish the 6 weight line on the 5 weight, and the 5 weight floater on the 4 weight. But wait a minute, I had only 1 full reel, the other “reel” was just a spool. So I fished just the 5 weight floater on the 5 weight and left the 4 weight in the truck. I did bring the extra spool with the sinker on the float tube but didn’t need to use it. I started with an olive willy and a boatmen pattern as the launch area is not too deep. Got no love, so went to the indicator with a leech and bloodworm and hooked up but lost on the first cast. Same on second cast, then remembered it’s that stupid balanced leech that never stays hooked. I bent the hook and never lost another fish. Eventually went to using two leeches. Landed about 2 dozen fish, all about 14 inches, some fatter than others and all healthy fighters. Hoped to hook something bigger, maybe could have dredged something bigger up if I had my 6 weight and reel. But a great day overall. And I didn’t forget my waders or get stuck in traffic on the way home.