Basin lake

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I love this time of year for lake fishing. Rich and I headed out early to a nice basin lake. We decided on a nice hike as well, so we reached this lake by the lower trail, nearly a three mile hike each way. But before we got started, I had a blowout.

1696622023418.jpeg
Hmm, I was using the old cheaper float tube because it weighs a few pounds less. Rich asked if I wanted to chance it and since I had three separate air chambers, and the tube itself was intact, I decided to give it a go. I did make sure my inflatable life vest was secure before I jumped in the water.
So we headed on down the trail. The hike from the lower access is about 2.75 miles each direction. Elevation gain was only 63 feet and I averaged a heart rate of 109. (More on that later.)
1696622497121.jpeg
After getting everything ready, we busted through the reeds and headed out on the lake. Fishing was decent, but spotty. We fished for about 7 hours, caught fish on multiple flies. I landed about 15-20 fish, lost about the same number, double or triple that number for Rich.
The fish were fat and feisty
1696622792095.jpeg
The weather was gorgeous as was the scenery.
1696622886562.jpegIf you closely at the picture above, you can see Rich not fighting a fish, which is unusual.

The fishing remained decent but sporadic, I was getting worn out by the sun beating on me, I forgot my hat back at the truck and totally spaced out on the thought of sunscreen, and my tube’s tear was enlarging, so we decided to head back. The return trip started out good but became miserable with my sun-burned face and the sweat pouring into my eyes. Elevation gain heading back was a little more at 180 feet but with my dehydration and sunburn and fatigue from fishing all day my average heart rate jumped to 153. I was gassed when we got back to the car, but felt better after a quart of Gatorade and a quart of water.

Overall a great day of fishing, might have to hit it up one more time before it closes for the year. And I won’t forget the sunscreen. Or my hat.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Nice report, glad you made it out!

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
That’s a physical day of fishing no matter how you access the lake (upper or lower trail). Nice report and good reminder of the importance of water and sun protection.

PS I was there the last day the upper gate was open.

Last edited:

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love this time of year for lake fishing. Rich and I headed out early to a nice basin lake. We decided on a nice hike as well, so we reached this lake by the lower trail, nearly a three mile hike each way. But before we got started, I had a blowout.

View attachment 84824
Hmm, I was using the old cheaper float tube because it weighs a few pounds less. Rich asked if I wanted to chance it and since I had three separate air chambers, and the tube itself was intact, I decided to give it a go. I did make sure my inflatable life vest was secure before I jumped in the water.
So we headed on down the trail. The hike from the lower access is about 2.75 miles each direction. Elevation gain was only 63 feet and I averaged a heart rate of 109. (More on that later.)
View attachment 84829
After getting everything ready, we busted through the reeds and headed out on the lake. Fishing was decent, but spotty. We fished for about 7 hours, caught fish on multiple flies. I landed about 15-20 fish, lost about the same number, double or triple that number for Rich.
The fish were fat and feisty
View attachment 84830
The weather was gorgeous as was the scenery.
View attachment 84831If you closely at the picture above, you can see Rich not fighting a fish, which is unusual.

The fishing remained decent but sporadic, I was getting worn out by the sun beating on me, I forgot my hat back at the truck and totally spaced out on the thought of sunscreen, and my tube’s tear was enlarging, so we decided to head back. The return trip started out good but became miserable with my sun-burned face and the sweat pouring into my eyes. Elevation gain heading back was a little more at 180 feet but with my dehydration and sunburn and fatigue from fishing all day my average heart rate jumped to 153. I was gassed when we got back to the car, but felt better after a quart of Gatorade and a quart of water.

Overall a great day of fishing, might have to hit it up one more time before it closes for the year. And I won’t forget the sunscreen. Or my hat.
Nice report and photos! That's a long, dusty hike for sure, especially when you're carrying your float tube and assorted gear. The reduced planting rate seems to be producing better quality fish at that lake.