Brrr

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
IMG_1614.jpeg

Today I decided to get one more trip to this lake before it closes for the year. The temperatures were predicted to be cool so I took my time leaving home this morning for the 3 hour drive. Found this on my arrival, but of course, that didn’t stop me. Launched my Sportsman’s Warehouse version of the FishCat Scout for 4 hours of fishing. Water temp on the main lake was 39 degrees and the fishing reflected that. I landed 4 fish, the largest at just over 18 inches as measured on my stripping apron. I don’t think I missed any strikes today, that would be a first. It sure gets dark (and cold) fast now, and while I was quite comfortable on the water fishing, I froze my butt off packing up my stuff. I think the launch stays in the shade all day and was significantly colder. As I released the air from the valves, my boat did not deflate and maintained its shape due to the ice that formed over the boat. It was quite a chore to get it rolled up and into the pickup bed under the tonneau cover. All in all, a fun day, wish I had more action, but my expectations were low so it’s all good. Time to go steelhead fishing I guess.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I guess we know who was first onto the lake!

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
First and only! I was amazed at how many hikers and photographers I saw on the trail to the lake. (I refuse to call that a road, and I think it is actually getting worse.)
My wife and I have enjoyed hiking the loop around Umatilla Rock (park where the pavement end, yes: that road is getting worse).

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First and only! I was amazed at how many hikers and photographers I saw on the trail to the lake. (I refuse to call that a road, and I think it is actually getting worse.)
I believe the state is intentionally not maintaining it, then another branch might not have to plant it, and the Bureau of Reclamation (and the other 2 agency's) wouldn't have to admit the fixing of the Banks lake dam had a negative impact on Dry Falls lake level.

My conspiracy theory... but look into it and think back to when Dry Falls started to die... after they lowered Banks to record lows to repair the leaking dam, by resealing.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Dry Falls: A couple of years ago I scratched the bottom of my pram on those damn rocks at the launch, the scratch deep enough to get to wood (sure, that's what happens to the bottoms of small row boats) so I contacted the park superintendent and made an appointment with him to discuss improving the launch. He showed me plans that someone from one of the big Seattle clubs had drafted up for a super launch. I suggested that a trackhoe and some crushed rock were all that was needed - widen it a bit, dig out the big rocks and lay some rock. Then it got complicated - did you know that invasive bull rushes (phragmites) have flowers that butterlfies like? Removing invasive plants because butterflies like their flowers? Tough thing to do. The superintendent suggested there was some kind of "agreement" that the road couldn't be improved (agreement between who?). I can't see how Dry Falls is connected to the Columbia River but somehow State Parks felt like we'd need to do some kind of envoronmental assessment to repair the launch up to perhaps an HPA, what? A tiger or brown trout's going to somehow make it to the big river? That effectively ended my efforts to fix the blankety blank launch. Meanwhile, Deep Lake has a brand new concrete launch with many site improvements.

I certainly don't want to have the road into Dry Falls graded with nice new crushed rock the full length but cutting some of the brush that's beginning to choke it and perhaps filling a few of deep holes would be nice.

As it used to be:

Dry Falls.jpg

That big, shallow bay to the right in the picture would warm up faster than the rest of the lake so early in the spring it somtimes fished really well.

RCF

Life of the Party
Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yep! A certain “road” in Canada felt the superiority of the Prius a couple of Summers back.View attachment 92948
Any 15 year old with two sessions of driver ed could get through that in a lifted 4x4. It takes real skill (and chutzpah) to do it in a Prius. Respect.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any 15 year old with two sessions of driver ed could get through that in a lifted 4x4. It takes real skill (and chutzpah) to do it in a Prius. Respect.
There was a “road” on the way in. On the way out a few days later we came around a corner and there was no road. A backhoe and a bulldozer were clearing the area for a new logging road. They saw us and “created” a pathway for us.

I wish I had video of @Yardus Maximus running in front of me chucking rocks.