What have you done for your boat lately?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
sweet, heirloom quality....4 oz with epoxy?
6oz + epoxy. But there was unfortunately something wrong with the fiberglass. It didn’t wet-out and disappear like it should. Not bubbles or anything, and the glass experts I’ve talked with say it may be some weird coating on the fabric.

I’ve done some test patches since and think I can get it to disappear better for the inside-but something about the glass itself is keeping it from going invisible like it has on past projects. So, heirloom perhaps but it’s not one I’m going to take to shows.

1664907689924.jpeg

Fingers crossed for the inside:
1664907761703.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
can be a few reasons for the weave showing....insufficent wetting in application/dry lam...issue with the resin itself... and use of direct sized glass, which is E-glass that wasn't factory heat cleaned...stronger, but tends to flash the weave.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
can be a few reasons for the weave showing....insufficent wetting in application/dry lam...issue with the resin itself... and use of direct sized glass, which is E-glass that wasn't factory heat cleaned...stronger, but tends to flash the weave.
Yeah, it seems like it was a supply-chain issue that led to me getting the uncleaned e-glass. System 3 is good stuff and it's not my first time using it. And the laminations were definitely wetted. It was like the glass resisted wetting in places (the stripes) despite my using random brush directions, etc.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah, it seems like it was a supply-chain issue that led to me getting the uncleaned e-glass. System 3 is good stuff and it's not my first time using it. And the laminations were definitely wetted. It was like the glass resisted wetting in places (the stripes) despite my using random brush directions, etc.
Greenlight an excellent source for glass per exact customer specs

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Greenlight an excellent source for glass per exact customer specs

Thanks! Next time, for sure.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Well, I finally got my boat in the water the other day and as Salmo g guessed, I was too heavy in the back and couldn't get up on a plane.....that and the top of the transom was surprisingly close to the water line :rolleyes:

Last time I used it, I had a couple middle schoolers in the front to add weight and even things out, evidently running solo is another matter. So I let my OCDness run wild and moved the batteries and fuel tank forward.

On a side note, if I hadn't met the monetary threshold with the stuff I did before, the things I added this go round definitely bumped me up past the Break Out Another Thousand milestone.....sheese I'd forgotten just how easy it is to throw money into a boat.

Ah well, a bunch of battery cable, some hole drilling, a wee bit of soldering.......
IMG_5300[1].JPGIMG_5302[1].JPG

and a little help from this guy

IMG_5305[1].JPG

and I was back in business.

IMG_5310[1].JPG

IMG_5309[2].JPG

I took it for a test run this morning and easily got up on plane....plus it was glass smooth so that was kinda nice. No fish...again...but I didn't have to row back to the launch either...so I had that going for me👍

IMG_5312[1].JPG
And the special ed casting brace saw some action today. Pretty sweet, actually, until ya wanna get something in the bow...then it's kind of a tightrope act to get past it. So if ya see a blue Lund bobbing around with no one in it....you'll know what happened. 😉

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
How stable is the Backwater while standing?? I'm 150lbs dripping wet and a little on the short side so I would have plenty of room.
I can stand and cast in it in flat calm water conditions. It does take some good balance and awareness of approaching boat wakes though. I have a wooden flat bottom skiff of the same length and approximately the same weight that is quite a bit more stable though. It’s not as tough as the Backwater so I don’t use it as much.

98B02520-E332-4B57-AE0F-AE856E40372D.jpeg

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I can stand and cast in it in flat calm water conditions. It does take some good balance and awareness of approaching boat wakes though. I have a wooden flat bottom skiff of the same length and approximately the same weight that is quite a bit more stable though. It’s not as tough as the Backwater so I don’t use it as much.

View attachment 38572
That’s a nice looking little wooden boat (y)

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Finished fiberglassing the interior. Two more coats of epoxy, then it's on to the gunwhales, decks, and bulkheads. Then it will be time to can carve the thwart and yoke, and build the seats. Oh, and finish carving paddles.

About 1/2 way to being part of the way done.

B295476C-4374-481A-9EE8-3D6F9094C6A8.jpeg0136C248-A962-4B95-BC7A-2EF03FD7307D.jpeg

Last edited:

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
It’s more for my back but also the boat. I bought a used trailer in September from a guy, that pulled a fast one on me.
I have to admit that I am a trusting person (stupid according to my wife) and don’t know shit about trailers.
The trailer looked to be in good shape and he said he fixed some things on it. NOT. He gave me a title, but after I got home and tried to register it, I was told it was an old version of a title and not the current title. It needed to be inspected by WSP.
Damn! WSP makes you get an appointments but the problem is they are short inspectors due to Covid and backed up for 4-5 weeks. In the meantime I started to install new hubs, bearings and tires because Seattle does not inspect trailers and Bellevue is closed. The only place is Tacoma, Marysville or Spokane. After 3 weeks of trying to get an appointment I finally got one in Tacoma on Halloween.
While working on the trailer, I found the VIN under the trailer! It didn’t match the title! Tried to call the A$$hole, but no answer.
When the ownership is in doubt, you are required to wait 3 years before getting a title. So I can use it until then.
I learned my lesson buying from someone I do know.
Lifting in the back of the truck is getting tougher, now it’s going on the trailer.

DC17BD47-36B7-44F1-A9E9-478CEB234A39.jpegF2C63FD2-32D6-416A-B944-FADECFA85312.jpeg
BTW
If the owner comes looking for it I am saving all the parts I replaced and he gets those in pieces and he can reinstall them bad tires, hubs and bearings.

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
I brought my motor to the shop and found it died. My boating days are done for now. I'm going to sell the boat and put the money towards the material I need to build a 14' aluminum sled with hopefully a 60hp pump. I work at a shop where I'm able to do personal projects and buy materials for cost plus 10% so it makes something like this very doable. My hope is that this will happen before next summer is over.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
A couple weeks ago I made a stand for my outboard out of scrap lumber. It even has some cheapie casters that I saved from something. The casters don’t work amazing but for something free, for now, they are far better than dragging it around.
1667774804227.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
A couple weeks ago I made a stand for my outboard out of scrap lumber. It even has some cheapie casters that I saved from something. The casters don’t work amazing but for something free, for now, they are far better than dragging it around.
View attachment 40070
Man, if I'm seeing what I think I am, that motor did some sitting in the salt, have you replaced the anode? Probably not necessary now that it isn't hanging on the back of boat in saltwater moorage.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Man, if I'm seeing what I think I am, that motor did some sitting in the salt, have you replaced the anode? Probably not necessary now that it isn't hanging on the back of boat in saltwater moorage.
Not yet!
And yeah...I know... 🤦‍♂️

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
If swimmy puts eyes on that garage bench and shelves.....his ocd will come to your rescue.
lol...failry compulsive about a full shop cleanup after every project, this shot taken midway...motor, fibreglass work to customize the interior to a walk thru, stainless anchor fittings, running wire harness for forward battery placement, etc...working on glass boats a fave.
regarding hacks...HDPE cutting boards are a great material for boat upgrades...rectangles for protecting the inside/outside transom from motor saddle clamp wear, base mounts for bow/stern anchor rollers, rod holders, depth finders, etc...