What have you done for your boat lately?

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I set it free. I aged out of being able to use it so I gave it to my son. It lives near Seattle now. Sniff…

View attachment 34384
That's gotta suck.... a hard realization coming to all of us...but your boat looks like it was well used and taken care of.

Based upon the crab pots, I’m guessing you used your boat in the salt occasionally. Did you attach anode plates? And if so, where’d you put them? …. under the hull just in front of the transom?

Last edited:

M_D

Forum Supporter
So here's mine

IMG_E5202[1].JPG
I bought it new in 2002 and like I posted in another thread, for a variety of reasons it's been sitting next to my house mostly unused and ignored for a decade or more. A retirement goal was to either get it in the water or get it gone. So I've spent the latter part of the summer dinking around and getting stuff figured out, maintained, or upgraded.

Like Evan B and others I learned how to replace and repack wheel bearings, got new tires, and trouble shot the trailer wiring.

I was lucky the 15 hp motor only needed routine maintenance and she seems to be running like a champ.....but then it's probably got less than 300 hours on it.

I was bummed to find a bunch of pitting on the floor. Who knew aluminum boats weren't like pop cans and oxidized over time if ya don't pay attention :unsure:

So I spent time sanding and repainting...and hopefully took care of the problem
IMG_5195.JPGIMG_5196.JPG

Next, my OCD compelled me to install a bilge pump...

IMG_5206.JPGIMG_5207.JPG

And I was gonna go waaaay into the weeds and install a Blue Sea System battery switch and isolator but figured I'd wait on that for a bit.

I was also able to troubleshoot and get my 20 year old Garmin Fishfinder 160 up and running....but my crowning achievement was this gem....

wait for it......

V

V

V

V

V

is the anticipation building yet ?? :cool:

...how about now?

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

Yep...you guessed it.... a poor man's casting brace. (y)(y)

I'm contemplating applying for a patent cuz I figure all the cool kids will want one.:cool:

In all actuality, we'll see if the brace leaves the yard after my 30 y/o old son chuckled and said, "Really ?"

Should you see it in action....don't forget to wave back...

1664390479431.png

Mike d

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mike,

That's a lot of nice work on your Lund. I note that it looks like you have two batteries as well as your fuel tank located way aft. That's a lot of weight, given that you as the driver will also be sitting back there. For improved balance and trim - plus I wanted to add the weight of a 4 hp kicker motor to my transom - I move my battery and fuel tank forward between the bow and most forward bench seat. It rides a lot better that way. Try yours out and see if you think your boat is a bit heavy in the rear.

M_D

Forum Supporter
Mike,

That's a lot of nice work on your Lund. I note that it looks like you have two batteries as well as your fuel tank located way aft. That's a lot of weight, given that you as the driver will also be sitting back there. For improved balance and trim - plus I wanted to add the weight of a 4 hp kicker motor to my transom - I move my battery and fuel tank forward between the bow and most forward bench seat. It rides a lot better that way. Try yours out and see if you think your boat is a bit heavy in the rear.
But then where would my nifty caster's brace go? ;)

Just kidding. Thanks for the suggestion. The bow has always ridden high and I just thought I had the motor positioned wrong.....I'd never thought of moving stuff forward. (y)

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I took her down the Yakima last weekend with two friends. I treated her nice, she treated me well.

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
I put new 'toons on my pontoon. I bought my Outcast Cougar from a colorful fella that used to be a mainstay on Westfly. It has been the best, most useful craft I have ever owned.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 2.13.17 PM.png

On a recent trip the bladder on one outside pontoon started bulging out, a result of a de-lamination of its outer cover. I tried to jury rig it for one last trip, but it just was not happening.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 2.15.37 PM.png

So- I got new floats. The floats on the Cougar model were 8 feet long. They now only sell the "Panther" model floats (9 foot), and they sell them in pairs only- meaning both sides of the boat. The frame is the same on both.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 2.10.43 PM.png

If I could have, I probably would have bought the 8-foot floats. I now know that choosing the 8-footers would have been a mistake. The 9-foot floats are a significant upgrade. I will be more comfortable in rivers and it tracks much better with my Minn Kota. I think this craft should last for the remainder of my fishing lifetime.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's gotta suck.... a hard realization coming to all of us...but your boat looks like it was well used and taken care of.

Based upon the crab pots, I’m guessing you used your boat in the salt occasionally. Did you attach anode plates? And if so, where’d you put them? …. under the hull just in front of the transom?
I did not install anodes because the salt use was only a few times per year. I did do a very thorough fresh water wash down inside and out after each crabbing trip.

Reactions: M_D

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sea Eagle Tuff Stuff epoxy creates a complete barrier = zero hull corrosion...years back a buddy bought a harbor docked 21' Bayrunner CC that had some hull pitting and some interior brace junction electrolysis due to improper grounding...two coats of Tuff Stuff to the hull inside and outside with an epoxy finish coat on top of that...saltwater bulletproofed, still looks like a new boat years later

Chucker

Steelhead
Yesterday I Replaced the electric winch with a manual and installed the Fulton hinge for the tongue.

My garage is real small, but this little 15’ boat now fits inside! No messing with boat covers this winter!
View attachment 34899

What kind of boat is that? I also have a very small garage and would like to be able to fit a 15’ boat into it. Though considering that the garage is 17’2” that might be optimistic…

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
What kind of boat is that? I also have a very small garage and would like to be able to fit a 15’ boat into it. Though considering that the garage is 17’2” that might be optimistic…

This is a SeaLaker, built in Sumner. A 1992. I’m told it was the last boat built by the company.

Olympic and GlasPly also made seaworthy 15’ boats that might work for your garage. Sometime the length is a measurement of the gunnel so the centerline length of the boat is actually shorter.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead

Here is an Olympic, in Port Angeles.

Watch out for rot and of course, old outboards89FDBBA0-ECD4-4A9D-8CD7-4FD139F0DA75.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Who builds a 17' garage? That's un-American, probly criminal too! I admonish myself for building my garage only 24' deep.
MEGA thread drift. Someone has a newer home, our house is two years "younger" than I am. In 1951, when this house was built, cars were smaller, pickups were smaller, boats were smaller and RV's*? In 2013 I bought a Forester rather than an Outback because the Forester fits, barely - the Outback not so much.

* I remember a family vacation up to Fort St. John (and beyond) with dad driving a '54 Ford, six banger, three on the tree towing our camp trailer. :unsure:

Back on topic: I need to get some epoxy and paint ordered for my pram

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
might consider a Sportcat if you can find one...their 13' model is actually just under 13' with 68" of beam, extremely stable boat, no other boat this 'small' has as much working space, and with a swing arm should fit in any garage. Mine will get a new Tohatsu power tilt in the spring.IMG_20221003_130213426.jpgIMG_20221003_130254727.jpgIMG_20221003_130321455.jpg

Chucker

Steelhead
Who builds a 17' garage? That's un-American, probly criminal too! I admonish myself for building my garage only 24' deep.

Whoever built this house, in 1926, was not thinking about my future boat needs. How inconsiderate of them!

I currently have a 2001,13’ boston whaler in there, which fits diagonally without a swing tongue. 72” beam, fairly deep V, so I think it is the most capable 13’ boat available. But, two-foot-itis is real….