What have you done for your boat lately?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Got an Anchor Wizard to replace the stern mounted Scotty anchor lock on my largest fishing kayak. The Scotty works fine, but I often avoid using it since it's a bit of a PITA to deploy and retrieve frequently. We'll see if the Wizard solves that minor problem.
Just an update on how the Anchor Wizard worked out. Have to report that it performs extremely well and makes frequent anchor deployment and retrieval an absolute breeze, with no loose anchor line to deal with. A 'game changer' for stillwater kayak fishing.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I have an old 12' Trailorboat that my dad and I bought used in the early 80's. It really needed some love. So, I showed a little love this year by:

• replacing the wheels and trailer winch,
  • wiring in a new light harness connector and replacing a few running light fixtures,
  • bought new tie-down straps.
  • bought anchors, ropes and lift-n-locks for the front and rear,
  • added Scotty's rod holders and mounts, and
  • grabbed my brother's old trolling motor and bought a new battery and box.
Then, like an idiot, I thought I'd just add a simple rubber floor mat. We that turned into:
  • a paint job for the inside,
  • sanding and refinishing the benches and adding stainless hardware,
  • Cutting and gluing down Hydromat to the benches for some padding,
  • and adding a rubber floor that I'm still working on.
To add to the idiot part, I started the floor late in the summer during all the warm weather and am just finishing it up. Here are some pics:

20220910_112242.jpg20220910_112449.jpg20220910_112410.jpg

Someone once said that "A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." Well, they forgot to add "time".

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Looking good Brian! Now I’ll just join you when I fish that lake.....in your “new” boat!
You're certainly welcome to join me. That way I'll discover a few more of your secrets. ;)

If you do come down, the boat should have cupholders by then. Just sayin...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Just an update on how the Anchor Wizard worked out. Have to report that it performs extremely well and makes frequent anchor deployment and retrieval an absolute breeze, with no loose anchor line to deal with. A 'game changer' for stillwater kayak fishing.
Do those anchor wizards work on boats? I only ever seem to see them on kayaks. But I'd love a tidy way to retrieve/store anchor line on my 12' aluminum boat.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I'm replacing a leaking Summit 2 valve in my Outcast Pac 900 pontoon boat. It's leaking at the valve stem area.
I contacted Outcast/Aire repair dept. by phone and spoke with Ryder there.
I will say he was one of the best I've ever dealt with in any service position I've needed help from.
I explained the issue and he told me to first try cleaning the valve with rubbing alcohol and Q tips by locking the valve in the open position and swabbing the area inside the valve seal and rim the valve seals against.
He explained that 90 plus % of summit valve leaks are from sand or dirt of some sort getting inside the valve causing it not to seal. He said I don't want you to spend your money needlessly if you don't have to.
Well, I did the swabbing trick and reinflate pontoon trick 3 times without success. The valve was no good.
I began to remove the valve with the plastic wrench that comes with the boat.
That s.o.b. was stuck so hard I couldn't budge it. I was afraid the wrench would break. I had removed the air and could not get a firm enough grip on the bottom valve section through the vinyl of the pontoon to keep it from turning when I turned the wrench.
I fashioned a cheater pipe for the wrench.
By gripping the very top of the bottom valve section by pulling the hole liner material down around the valve I got a much firmer grip. I put the cheater pipe on the wrench and with all the strength I could muster was able to get the valve broke loose. Surprised as hell the wrench didn't break.
I called Ryder back to order the new valve and asked what trick is there to remove severely stuck valves. He said keep the pontoon inflated as the air pressure will hold the valve bottom in place while you loosen the top section.
Wow, I wish I'd have known that😖
Anyway I asked to order 2 valves since I have an Outcast float tube too I wanted a spare just in case.
Ryder asked how old my boat is and I said 6 or 7 years. He said since less than 10 years old he'd only charge me for one valve. I was happy with that.
We talked about the potential of plastic wrench breaking and said he'd sell me a metal $30.00 wrench at wholesale for $17.00.
I bought the wrench too.
I had a great learning experience and saved a little money thanks to Ryder, a top notch repair technician at Outcast/Aire. 😊

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I have an old 12' Trailorboat that my dad and I bought used in the early 80's. It really needed some love. So, I showed a little love this year by:

• replacing the wheels and trailer winch,
  • wiring in a new light harness connector and replacing a few running light fixtures,
  • bought new tie-down straps.
  • bought anchors, ropes and lift-n-locks for the front and rear,
  • added Scotty's rod holders and mounts, and
  • grabbed my brother's old trolling motor and bought a new battery and box.
Then, like an idiot, I thought I'd just add a simple rubber floor mat. We that turned into:
  • a paint job for the inside,
  • sanding and refinishing the benches and adding stainless hardware,
  • Cutting and gluing down Hydromat to the benches for some padding,
  • and adding a rubber floor that I'm still working on.
To add to the idiot part, I started the floor late in the summer during all the warm weather and am just finishing it up. Here are some pics:

View attachment 31484View attachment 31485View attachment 31486

Someone once said that "A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." Well, they forgot to add "time".
Nice clean looking old timer!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Do those anchor wizards work on boats? I only ever seem to see them on kayaks. But I'd love a tidy way to retrieve/store anchor line on my 12' aluminum boat.
I can't see why not. The anchor weight limit is 10 lbs. On a larger boat I'd probably go with the full sized version...holds more line.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
When I bought my boat, the previous owner had been using a nylon webbing ratcheting strap to secure it to the trailer over the stern. This worked well enough as far as the boat not falling off the trailer, but it was kinda jenky and caused the gunwale rubrail to work its way off.

79FD464C-EA71-4395-80F1-69DE76D14ECC.jpeg

I wanted to replace it with some of the Boat Buckle ratcheting straps, but those usually go on the transom and my boat doesn't have any of the attachment points that it would require. I was a little stuck as for what to do until I realized that some previous owner had installed some eyelets through the corner brackets.

ED885840-4C2E-44BC-B912-7D8189D2542A.jpeg

That made installation of a pair of Boat Buckle Mini (1" straps instead of the 2" that are on the regular version) ratcheting buckles pretty easy. I did need to use the Universal Mounting Brackets for them. But now they work quite well. I'd recommend these for anyone.

FCC21534-7DEE-4550-BDE4-6C6511731B05.jpeg 92D2EDF8-47EE-43AB-B98C-FA3E798E7A96.jpeg
2154EC4B-BF1A-44AC-B051-E96018CB2CE0.jpeg B005A990-B14F-4331-AE38-C923903370BA.jpeg

Attachments

• F7C1EA9D-58CB-4533-916A-AF67F444FD0E.jpeg
    F7C1EA9D-58CB-4533-916A-AF67F444FD0E.jpeg
    641.7 KB · Views: 7

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We brought a new one (to us) home on Tuesday. All I've been doing is cleaning, cleaning ,and cleaning. Tomorrow will be more cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning! Then more cleaning.
2002 Crestliner 1800 Super Hawk/trailer with a Volvo Penta 3.0 130hp 4 cylinder.
What were we thinking?:oops:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I replaced my 16 ft Klamath side console windshield with a 16 ft Smokercraft. A bit heavier boat, but has a windshield, canopy, and jump seats for the grandchildren. I’m looking forward to a warmer ride upriver in the late fall. Going to order the Boat Buckles. My son bought a set for my drift boat that someday will be his. Yes, those are bait casting rods on the background that I use for walleye fishing. I’m thinking that walleye can be caught on a fly, but that’s another thread. My son who lives on Whidbey Island is getting the Klamath. A8AD7CB7-4DB0-476A-8FDA-BEE2D7FF4D73.jpeg