What have you done for your boat lately?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Somewhere on the web, or maybe even on this forum, I saw a picture of a boat with the oars stored outside the boat on each side. I'm interested in doing this and looking for ideas on how to get it done.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Somewhere on the web, or maybe even on this forum, I saw a picture of a boat with the oars stored outside the boat on each side. I'm interested in doing this and looking for ideas on how to get it done.

But for someone handy with metal it probably wouldn't be too hard to make

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Installed a Garmin Striker 4 transducer inside the Hobie Passport transducer hull cavity. Fits great, and completely protects the transducer with a plate that allows water to surround the transducer. The plate (held on with a couple of SST screws) sits flush with the hull bottom. The sonar outgoing signal and return travels through the plate like it isn't there. Furthermore, the transducer (which can now 'live' in the transducer cavity) is able to use its scupper hole (which is below the boat's elevated seat) as an optimal route topside to the Garmin monitor. A transducer outboard arm, which creates quite a bit of drag on a kayak, is no longer required with this new setup.

Tried out this new setup yesterday at a local lake (along with a new Hobie Mirage drive that allows extremely easy shifting from forward to reverse (Mirage 180 drive). Worked great, and the Mirage 180 drive (with easy rudder control) is a total game-changer for kayak flyfishing.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
@krusty does the plate you mentioned protecting the transducer on the hull bottom come with the transducer or did you buy it separately?
The plate comes with the Hobie kayak. The plate has a couple of extensions designed to accomodate Lowrance fish finder transducers, but it's very easy to adapt it to a Garmin Striker 4 transducer.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk

Most raft owners use these!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Most raft owners use these!

I'm looking for something for the Hewescraft. It's a lot easier to climb out if the oars are out of the way.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Congrats on finishing the project. What a beautiful boat!!! How you could launch it and not paddle out a bit I don't know...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Congrats on finishing the project. What a beautiful boat!!! How you could launch it and not paddle out a bit I don't know...
Thanks! We did two laps of the lake, and picked up trash on the last half of the last lap.

1 pool noodle, 2 tackle boxes (one fully stocked), miscellaneous trash, crawdad trap, and one kayak paddle.

I didn’t have the mental capacity to take photos while wrangling Gilligan and the Skipper.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
She looks great! How does she handle? Well done on the trash (and not so trash) collection!
Thanks!

She seemed very quick, but the munchkins kept leaning over the edge and tipping us and were almost completely useless when it came to paddling. So the jury’s still out on maneuverability.