What have you done for your boat lately?

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Somewhere on the web, or maybe even on this forum, I saw a picture of a boat with the oars stored outside the boat on each side. I'm interested in doing this and looking for ideas on how to get it done.
I ordered my hangers from Journey.

If you’d like to take one to use as a template, just send me a PM. They are ridiculously expensive from the manufacturer, when you add shipping

6F37F1A3-52A7-41C2-91F3-DBB0A5D99A40.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
IMG_2458.jpg

One more light sanding (220 grit) of the "Battleship Gray" tomorrow and a final light coat of enamel: done (for a couple years I hope). The bottom is Raka epoxy with an 8-9% graphite powder additive that obviously turned the hull black. I don't think the graphite powder is going to make me faster when I'm pulling hard on the sticks - it's supposed to help make the epoxy more durable (fingers crossed). I should have the boat fully back together Wednesday - time to order new "Shoal Man" decals for the bow.

Thanks to all you forum members who suggested Raka epoxy and Rustoleum Topside paint.

Last edited:

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Nice job @Buzzy! I recall that you were slimming down the boat fleet by getting rid of a few other craft. Looks like you made the “right good” choice!
I gave all the Battleship Gray paint a light scuffing with 220 grit sand paper today, wiped it down with denatured alcohol then used a tack cloth and rolled on on the last coat; painting is done. I'm going fishing tomorrow, that will let the paint set well (dry, cure?) before I start reinstalling the Scotty mounts, oarlock hardware, lifting handles.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Only upgrades lately is the ever changing colors of green moss on my boats as the seasons change!

Last labor day before a 3 day float trip, 6 yr old Willow, " your boat is dirty, you need to wash it" 🤣🤣🤣

Gotta love the brutal honesty of kids!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just call me Bass Master. :LOL: Or Musky Hunter.
Just roughed in right now. No fancy Hydro Turf yet, but on the list! It will be nice to finally get rid of the blue stuff. Not sure what evil person put that in. :unsure:

20230509_133143.jpg

And on the Striker side of things, bought another pair of AIRE/Outcast blade rests so I could add them aft to make oar hangers. As well as some AIRE/Outcast oar tethers so I don't lose the KBOs. That would be very bad.

20230509_134318~2.jpg

The only bad review for the blade rests is that they can rip off since just velcro. So drilled a whole in the middle (just fabric, not the aluminum) and zip-tied.

20230509_134327~2.jpg

I like them. I've had the 1st pair for over 2 years and never had one fall off and they've worn very well. Highly recommend.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Bought this boat last year for $250. Been working on it lately so I can go up to BC and get in on the worst winter kill in 40 years. It had been sitting on the beach at presidents point since the guy bought it in 1994. It had three holes under the waterline from a downrigger mount. I patched them with stainless rivets. Washed with saltaway and sanded the bottom. Used goop coat-it to seal the pinholes. Applied bottom paint to protect it from UV. Replaced the rotten plywood wheel bracket backers. Flush mount Scotty mounts front an rear for anchors. Added 4 Scotty rod holders with 1" spacers. Added a seat and base in the dark last night. Still need to install the Garmin striker.IMG_20230407_205114609.jpgIMG_20230415_194120670.jpgIMG_20230505_170723345.jpgIMG_20230505_202124382.jpgIMG_20230505_225409202.jpgIMG_20230506_175639135_HDR.jpgIMG_20230509_172626357_HDR.jpg

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Bought this boat last year for $250. Been working on it lately so I can go up to BC and get in on the worst winter kill in 40 years. It had been sitting on the beach at presidents point since the guy bought it in 1994. It had three holes under the waterline from a downrigger mount. I patched them with stainless rivets. Washed with saltaway and sanded the bottom. Used goop coat-it to seal the pinholes. Applied bottom paint to protect it from UV. Replaced the rotten plywood wheel bracket backers. Flush mount Scotty mounts front an rear for anchors. Added 4 Scotty rod holders with 1" spacers. Added a seat and base in the dark last night. Still need to install the Garmin striker.View attachment 64832View attachment 64833View attachment 64834View attachment 64835View attachment 64836View attachment 64837View attachment 64838
That little guy looks like he's ready to deploy the anchor! Nice job restoring the boat! (How many hours?)

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bought this boat last year for $250. Been working on it lately so I can go up to BC and get in on the worst winter kill in 40 years. It had been sitting on the beach at presidents point since the guy bought it in 1994. It had three holes under the waterline from a downrigger mount. I patched them with stainless rivets. Washed with saltaway and sanded the bottom. Used goop coat-it to seal the pinholes. Applied bottom paint to protect it from UV. Replaced the rotten plywood wheel bracket backers. Flush mount Scotty mounts front an rear for anchors. Added 4 Scotty rod holders with 1" spacers. Added a seat and base in the dark last night. Still need to install the Garmin striker.View attachment 64832View attachment 64833View attachment 64834View attachment 64835View attachment 64836View attachment 64837View attachment 64838
Saving a boat has to give some good fish karma. Nice work!