What have you done for your boat lately?

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Quick plug for Sta-bil. Last year got an old 1993 15hp Evinrude to replace the one stolen off my boat. It ran, so that was a good thing. Replaced the sparks after the first time out. After the second time, when it ran a little bit better (didn’t die and leave me limping in on my trolling motor), decided to grab some Sta-bil and add it in the gas tank. More to preserve the gas but if it magically cleans the engine like some reviewers say, cool. Ran it once then it’s been sitting the past couple months. Took it out yesterday and it’s like an actual trained mechanic took it apart and rebuilt the dang thing. Runs beautifully. Could leave it on idle for days and it would purr along.

So, if you get your motor stolen, accidentally win one from an estate sale condition unknown, and don’t really want to pay someone to look it over - spend $10 on a bottle of Sta-bil and reap the benefits.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I crewed on a Moore 24 on a race out the Golden Gate and back once, were you in the Bay Area?
I'm guessing that would be the Farralons race?
Moores were built in Santa Cruz but have fleets in SC to Seattle. I met my lady in SC but we hooked up when Nationals were at Huntignton Lake outside of Fresno. We will be bringing it back to Hood River where there is a small but uber competitive fleet.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
No, not the Farallons race. I had friends that did the double handed Farallons race one year, and some of their friends boats never made it back. Lost their lives in the potato patch.
This was way back in the’80’s, and as I recall it was the Mile Rocks race that I crewed on. I did a lot more cruising than racing though, racing was too much stress for me, I sailed to relax.

That’s a great story you have to tell about that Moore 24. Fun little rocket ship for your daughter!

I'm guessing that would be the Farralons race?
Moores were built in Santa Cruz but have fleets in SC to Seattle. I met my lady in SC but we hooked up when Nationals were at Huntignton Lake outside of Fresno. We will be bringing it back to Hood River where there is a small but uber competitive fleet.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great stuff here
inspiring work by all of you

i raced on a Moore 24 for a little while at UCSC
didn’t realize they were built there

getting stoked to push some projects onward
thanks

One of the UCSC boats is here in Hood River and I sailed it for many years. Here is a shot from one of the less great moments. Note the yellow and blue stripe is still there!

145-at-Double-Damned-Race.jpg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
In 2003 I was in the midst of my second Olympic campaign when I came home for a break. A good friend had bought a Moore 24 and needed crew so I joined in for a couple races. Soon enough I found a cute girl racing in the fleet that eventually became my wife. 20 years later I'm buying the boat from him so our daughter can race with us at the same location we first hooked up. Quite special for us and an amazing boat; glad to keep it in the family!

View attachment 61461
I've got one of these laying around, you want it for the new rig?
20230418_191143.jpg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The seat mount and some other goodies arrive later today. The framed Striker is almost done. I like how this rack on the back turned out.
Having "out of boat" dry storage will be nice. The frame is leading to more overall room inside the boat. I'll post pics when complete.

20230424_103711.jpg

From above, you can see that I made the rack skinny enough, there should be less chance for branches or whatever to hang. I wanted the boat to be wider than the front of the rack to avoid any stupid situations.

20230424_102949_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
just ordered a 50# MK with digital maximizer for my Sportcat. Was surprised when I put the charger on the Mighty Max AGM batteries - 6 months on a garage shelf and still held 98 and 97 % charges. Anyone coming by the Bend area, have a 35# Newport 30" transom that runs excellent they are welcome to.