NFL 2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
This was very much happening in Seattle, too. There was just less noise about it.
This is from an article appearing in Larry Brown Sports

"Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, who served as a Seahawks radio analyst for the first seven years of Wilson’s career there, said that Wilson was getting what he had always wanted now that he was in Denver: the chance to be a pocket passer. That, Moon said, is precisely why things are not working.

“Everybody wants to blame the coach,” Moon said, via Jason Cole of OutKick. “But this is what Russell wanted. He wanted to be a pocket quarterback. That’s what he has always wanted.

“(Seattle) wanted to have him in the pocket about 60 percent of the time and then move him around the rest. All that stuff about, ‘Let Russ cook’ is really him talking about wanting to be in the pocket all the time. He can’t do that. He’s too short. You have to get him out in space a lot of the time so he can see everything.”

Moon added that Wilson often talked about Drew Brees being one of his favorite quarterbacks, but that the Seahawks could not mimic what Brees’ Saints did because of how their roster was constructed."

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
The Seahawks have a very hard decision to make at the end of the season. The absence of a effective run defense was one of the keys to the loss of this game and several others this season. There is enough talent on the team to perhaps squeak into the playoffs (or not), but not enough to really contend.
So, do they pay Geno versus draft a young, cheap first-round quarterback? While Geno Smith has played far better than just about anyone would have expected, his errors in several games this season (2 interceptions and nearly a 3rd against the Panthers) leave serious questions about whether he is a top 5 quarterback. Top half yes, top third perhaps, top 5 no. And given his numerical statistics, I would not be surprised if his agent asks for over $30 million / yr. (and would probably get at least that much as a free agent). The 2023 salary cap may be as high as $220 million. If so, his contract alone would chew up 15% or more of the salary cap.
A first-round draft pick (either the Hawks or Denvers) would be paid under $10million / yr. for the next 4 years. The extra room under the salary cap with a drafted quarterback would allow the Hawks to sign quality free agents to improve the overall level of talent. Of course, the transition of a big-name college quarterback to the NFL can be a real crap shoot. Some make it and others are awful. So, going the draft route is a high risk - high reward proposition.
Steve

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Oh yeah. With an undercut and an over the top alley cat punch.
I spent the entire game sitting in urgent care. Only saw updates of the score and none of the game. I'm not sure I got the raw end of the deal.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kid sees the field well and keeps his head up when he scrambles. Hangs in the pocket on blitzes to deliver a big throw despite taking a hit. He doesn't really have the smoke on his throws but anticipates well enough to compensate.

Truth will be told when there is enough tape on hi for DCs to pick him apart, but looks legit at this point. Gotta love the moxie if nothing else.

Looks like deebo is out for a while, but the run game is strong and they can claim the division Thursday. If that happens they could get a lot of rest as they would basically be locked into the 3 seed. Sure wish I would have been able to go....

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Kid sees the field well and keeps his head up when he scrambles. Hangs in the pocket on blitzes to deliver a big throw despite taking a hit. He doesn't really have the smoke on his throws but anticipates well enough to compensate.

Truth will be told when there is enough tape on hi for DCs to pick him apart, but looks legit at this point. Gotta love the moxie if nothing else.

Looks like deebo is out for a while, but the run game is strong and they can claim the division Thursday. If that happens they could get a lot of rest as they would basically be locked into the 3 seed. Sure wish I would have been able to go....
Purdy will have a good game Thursday to get more comfortable. Should be able to do whatever he needs to practice whtbout a whole lot of pressure. And I get to see it in person!

Status
Not open for further replies.