Area 9 Opener

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Better day today. 4 keeper sized fish landed and a handful of others lost. 2 of the 4 landed had fins. Kept one and released another clipped fish thinking…..fishing is good, no problem getting another. :). Lost all 4 big fish I hooked after that.

View attachment 24121

Another board member here could have easily had their limit had they not come down with a horrific case of lostfishitus which they then passed to yet another board member. I think I came down with slight case towards the end there as well.

@Bagman, I also have an entry for the PNWFF flounder derby. My personal best on a fly.

View attachment 24123

First coho of the season for the freezer…

View attachment 24122

Nice work gents!
SF

Bagman

Steelhead
Nice work gents!
SF
I took a walk with my dog on a MA 9 beach around 10am only saw one coho landed about 2lbs I’m guessing. There were about 5 fly guys out, two were Spey casting, at least I’m guessing that was what it’s called. It was a good thing there were not many fisherman around them although the coho I saw landed was by one of the Spey guys.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another board member here could have easily had their limit had they not come down with a horrific case of lostfishitus which they then passed to yet another board member. I think I came down with slight case towards the end there as well.
I think I was on the same beach with you guys for a bit this morning. I guess I social distanced just enough to avoid the lostfishitus!😀

33711D0B-D3C6-4C57-BF5E-85E1A3DBF69B.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Yeah it took me a while to hook up to some decent fish but lo and behold, lostfishitis got me! Won't say who it is but his avatar is of a golden sunset.

Though he wasn't golden today, he did public shame me for being ignorant over certain record keeping requirements , all these years... my god... I certainly needed that.

Hope you don't mind jasmillo, on my way out I walked around your truck 3 times to shake off the bad juju.

Bagman

Steelhead
Better day today. 4 keeper sized fish landed and a handful of others lost. 2 of the 4 landed had fins. Kept one and released another clipped fish thinking…..fishing is good, no problem getting another. :). Lost all 4 big fish I hooked after that.

View attachment 24121

@Bagman, I also have an entry for the PNWFF flounder derby. My personal best on a fly.

View attachment 24123

First coho of the season for the freezer…

View attachment 24122
Back before Covid-19’s and all the crap that went with it. In MA 9 there was a morning crowd every morning at the crack of stupid i would try and beat Dan to his spot, which I would move over and let him have it when he got to the water. There was also a guy name Freddy from Hawaii. One year Freddy’s brother came from Hawaii and was fishing on a good day, lots of coho in the 4-6lb range. Freddy told his brother to throw back these small coho because the big 10-12lb fish were going to be coming by. Well they ending running out of bait before they kept anything, and lost their last few baits to bullheads, Moral of this story being “ one in the hand is worth Two in the bush”🤔

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What a day!!! Started out early as usual, alone amongst the ratfish. Before the sun rises, the beach is still empty, save for one small spot just south of the point, where I now find myself surrounded by a nice older gentleman with a fly rod to my left, and the aforementioned man with the golden sun profile pic to my right. The flyologist appears, as does a mysterious man with an air of fishiness about him that led me to conclude that he was indeed the COHOZORD.

Lost my first solid fish of the day in an inch of water, and proceeded to lose another two sizable fish within the next 15 minutes, leading me to question whether using the same fly for three days straight was a solid choice. As slack approached, I took the opportunity to swap out the hook of my fly, and catch up on the MA9 opener thread…all good choices.

As the tide started to move, so too did I, finding some decent water a short distance from my selection for the outgoing. As I detail my lostfishitis woes to Happy Rob and his sardines, fortune strikes in the form of a 4ish pound coho, promptly bonked.
4A825F50-6F84-4F61-AAA8-7B28F13DF0A0.jpeg
Not 5 minutes later, I’m into the hottest fish I’ve hooked in years. After immediately hammering my fly she was airborn. Not your average leap, but a full 3+ feet out of the water. Not once, not twice, but three times…to the point where I actually said “this HAS to be a wild fish, she’s going nuts.” Sure enough, she was, and after getting herself oriented, she was on her way home. After another 2 smallish wild fish, I called it quits to start the second leg of the days journey.

Back home, cleaned the fish and onto the yak to reload the crab pots with salmon carcs. Weather was nice, so on a whim decided to drift a bit and give the pots an hour to soak. Pull up the pots to find the carcs all but disappeared, but in their place, pots full of Dungees, and not a female among them. Sorted for the largest, and home to prepare the feast.6A68D6D4-89BE-46D0-BB14-484C05B86AE0.jpeg
All in all fantastic way to spend a Saturday.

P.S. @Bagman did we chat? I was that Spey guy.

Bagman

Steelhead
What a day!!! Started out early as usual, alone amongst the ratfish. Before the sun rises, the beach is still empty, save for one small spot just south of the point, where I now find myself surrounded by a nice older gentleman with a fly rod to my left, and the aforementioned man with the golden sun profile pic to my right. The flyologist appears, as does a mysterious man with an air of fishiness about him that led me to conclude that he was indeed the COHOZORD.

Lost my first solid fish of the day in an inch of water, and proceeded to lose another two sizable fish within the next 15 minutes, leading me to question whether using the same fly for three days straight was a solid choice. As slack approached, I took the opportunity to swap out the hook of my fly, and catch up on the MA9 opener thread…all good choices.

As the tide started to move, so too did I, finding some decent water a short distance from my selection for the outgoing. As I detail my lostfishitis woes to Happy Rob and his sardines, fortune strikes in the form of a 4ish pound coho, promptly bonked.
View attachment 24194
Not 5 minutes later, I’m into the hottest fish I’ve hooked in years. After immediately hammering my fly she was airborn. Not your average leap, but a full 3+ feet out of the water. Not once, not twice, but three times…to the point where I actually said “this HAS to be a wild fish, she’s going nuts.” Sure enough, she was, and after getting herself oriented, she was on her way home. After another 2 smallish wild fish, I called it quits to start the second leg of the days journey.

Back home, cleaned the fish and onto the yak to reload the crab pots with salmon carcs. Weather was nice, so on a whim decided to drift a bit and give the pots an hour to soak. Pull up the pots to find the carcs all but disappeared, but in their place, pots full of Dungees, and not a female among them. Sorted for the largest, and home to prepare the feast.View attachment 24190

No I was standing back because of my big dog. She is a pit but a purr love. were you the right hander or the lefty

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

View attachment 24194

Back home, cleaned the fish and onto the yak to reload the crab pots with salmon carcs. Weather was nice, so on a whim decided to drift a bit and give the pots an hour to soak. Pull up the pots to find the carcs all but disappeared, but in their place, pots full of Dungees, and not a female among them. Sorted for the largest, and home to prepare the feast.View attachment 24190

Well done Jon. I see Puget Sound continues to suck! ;)
Too back it is closed on Sunday. Perfect marine layer for fishing today.
SF

Bagman

Steelhead
Well done Jon. I see Puget Sound continues to suck! ;)
Too back it is closed on Sunday. Perfect marine layer for fishing today.
SF
Ok so let me see if I’m looking at this correctly. MA9 is closed to salmon fishing tell next Thursday July 28th and at that time there is no restrictions on what day of the week you fish for clipped coho, and clipped Chinook over 22” long. ( by fish I mean keep). What say you?

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
For the record it’s a sunrise, and I had 3 keepers to hand (but did lose more than that). It sounds like I probably initially caught lostfishitis from @copperJon who went on to some success after he transferred it to me. Thankfully my last of the day was brought to hand without issue so it appears I successfully transferred it to @Kfish so for his sake hopefully his walk around @jasmillo truck worked (sorry Jason). I’ve heard that if you catch enough shakers you can cancel the curse so @Kfish might be clear anyways.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Ok so let me see if I’m looking at this correctly. MA9 is closed to salmon fishing tell next Thursday July 28th and at that time there is no restrictions on what day of the week you fish for clipped coho, and clipped Chinook over 22” long. ( by fish I mean keep). What say you?

That is my understanding, though MA 9 will close for chinook only before 8/15 if the quota is met.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
For the record it’s a sunrise, and I had 3 keepers to hand (but did lose more than that). It sounds like I probably initially caught lostfishitis from @copperJon who went on to some success after he transferred it to me. Thankfully my last of the day was brought to hand without issue so it appears I successfully transferred it to @Kfish so for his sake hopefully his walk around @jasmillo truck worked (sorry Jason). I’ve heard that if you catch enough shakers you can cancel the curse so @Kfish might be clear anyways.

This is true. You did land fish. That said, I think you may have been able to start a coho basketball team if you landed all your hooked keeper sized fish.

Not that I’m in any position to judge. Historical, any day over 40% landed is a good day for me.

johnnyboy

Steelhead
Eventhough the MA 9 chinook fishery seemed slow the past weekend it looks like the quota could be met fairly soon. It wouldn't be shocking if the chinook fishery doesn't last past this coming weekend, considering the good tides.

We're at 2,705/4,700 fish harvested (58% of the quota).

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Alright, weighing taking the boat up to 9 again this Friday, especially with the tides Anyone interested? Need to know by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

I wish I could join you on one of these outings. Early morning meetings means I can’t hit the water until about 10:30 Friday unfortunately. In time for the last of the outgoing and incoming though.

Considering taking out my boat Saturday or Sunday. Or I might just hit the beach and leave the Kingston ramp to the hordes chasing chinook.

I love this time of year.

Reactions: BCO

Bagman

Steelhead
Hit a popular beach this morning the beach had a lot of fisherman on it when I got there at 5:00am. I did find a spot by another fly guy. After about an hour the rip set up on the other side of the fly guy. I hooked and landed a smallish coho about 3 lbs unclip so he‘s back swimming. The next was a nicer fish but I lost him at the beach but he was hot and I’m going to guess about 5 lbs. then I got hit by a wave and went down got water inside my waders so I’m off the beach on my way home. I was fishing my 6wt switch which is a lot easier on my arms so even the smaller coho was a lot of fun. One thing I forgot to say. I would like to think the herring fisherman that came to my rescue, I’m sure I could have made it to my feet but it was sure good to see a hand to give me a lot of help to just get to my feet.

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Hit a popular beach this morning the beach had a lot of fisherman on it when I got there at 5:00am. I did find a spot by another fly guy. After about an hour the rip set up on the other side of the fly guy. I hooked and landed a smallish coho about 3 lbs unclip so he‘s back swimming. The next was a nicer fish but I lost him at the beach but he was hot and I’m going to guess about 5 lbs. then I got hit by a wave and went down got water inside my waders so I’m off the beach on my way home. I was fishing my 6wt switch which is a lot easier on my arms so even the smaller coho was a lot of fun. One thing I forgot to say. I would like to think the herring fisherman that came to my rescue, I’m sure I could have made it to my feet but it was sure good to see a hand to give me a lot of help to just get to my feet.

Glad your ok Al and nice work getting into some fish. The first couple trips of the season I always get surprised by 1 or 2 tanker waves before I adapt. There is one part of that popular beach we all frequent where the contour of the shoreline really magnifies the waves. I had one crash over my waders last weekend too. Made for a chilly morning…