Area 9 Opener

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Caught a decent unclipped coho this morning along with a surprise pair of starry flounder.
Seemingly a lot of decent sized unclipped ones out there based on admittedly small sample size. I wonder how many are unclipped net pen fish.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I lost a nice fish this morning about 20 seconds into the fight as I was getting him to the beach. Outside of that, tons of bait, tons of shaker. I spent half my time fishing the opposite side of the point than most but did not see a single decent fish landed. There may have been some out of my view.

dep

Steelhead
hitting Jeff Head tomorrow.
Lincoln Park was a bust last Sunday.

and for clarification: I am meat fishing to fill the freezer. hardware and downriggers and a pinch of bait!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A wise man or two once told me that if your catching flounder your not stripping fast enough.🤔

There are also beaches where you can intentionally target flatfish…. ;)
Think sight fishing. Fun to do while waiting for the tide to change.
SF

C289CCCE-02A1-4F8F-AE77-86AC85718580.jpeg

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
For some reason the starry flounder were hitting the fly near the surface today, even with a current running. It's been many years since I've caught one.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I was just pulling your chain, I’ve caught them on a topwater fly on a intermediate line. I have fished with you more then a few times and I know how fast you strip.
Together we could have doubled up on those starries. Heal up that elbow!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I still think about the starry I saw follow a fly up to the boat in 2019 while on a pink salmon trip.

We were in about 40' of water and I watched it and a smaller, but still quite large starry follow the fly to about 10' from the boat before turning. That fish would have definitely challenged for the state record. I thought it was a Halibut until I saw the distinct markings of a starry.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Yesterday's (7/21) WDFW creel reports show that the MA 9 Chinook catch fell substantially for those seen last week. The composite of all MA 9 checks yesterday was only 56 Chinook down from the 170+/- seen daily in last week opening. Early reports for today continue to indicate slow fishing.

dep

Steelhead
Yesterday's (7/21) WDFW creel reports show that the MA 9 Chinook catch fell substantially for those seen last week. The composite of all MA 9 checks yesterday was only 56 Chinook down from the 170+/- seen daily in last week opening. Early reports for today continue to indicate slow fishing.
hmmm. maybe I should stay further south in Area 10......

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
My too-late-to-help report from last Saturday is the fishing was quite slow. I think I saw 3 hit the beach from fly fisherman (myself included) and 1 to a gear guy. I released a nice sized unclipped fish around maybe 4 lbs, lots of shakers, lots of bait, not many salmon. Had a couple other "big bites" I'm pretty sure weren't shakers but didn't stick. I had to leave early so no report on the fishing through the best part of the tide.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Lots of bait and shakers. Bigger fish out beyond casting distance. Missed my one good opportunity.
Nice cloudy morning to be out.
Only pic of the day. This one for @Bagman
I was stripping in a small salmon and it came off so this guy came up and decided it was its turn to play. ;)
SF

4112141B-848C-43B7-9EE3-44997FE54F66.jpeg

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lots of bait and shakers. Bigger fish out beyond casting distance. Missed my one good opportunity.
Nice cloudy morning to be out.
Only pic of the day. This one for @Bagman
I was stripping in a small salmon and it came off so this guy came up and decided it was its turn to play. ;)
SF

View attachment 24079
I had one today hitting the foam head of the Miyawaki Popper that I was using. Wouldn't come close to the hook.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Better day today. 4 keeper sized fish landed and a handful of others lost. 2 of the 4 landed had fins. Kept one and released another clipped fish thinking…..fishing is good, no problem getting another. :). Lost all 4 big fish I hooked after that.

3229F27D-F184-4E57-BC72-B8ABB712AC47.jpeg

Another board member here could have easily had their limit had they not come down with a horrific case of lostfishitus which they then passed to yet another board member. I think I came down with slight case towards the end there as well.

@Bagman, I also have an entry for the PNWFF flounder derby. My personal best on a fly.

828BBC9D-CF08-4BC5-9DD4-ED808F6CF326.jpeg

First coho of the season for the freezer…

36783B7C-3657-4DC8-ABCA-D17635D0B1C1.jpeg