Area 9 Opener

dep

Steelhead
did you see the Pt Defiance creel reports for the July 4th weekend?
almost 100 kings caught each day. that number has come down a lot this week.
pay attention to the regs. fishing is not open every day.

excited to test the Lincoln Park area on Sunday. still a bit early, but you never know.
what do they say: you have a 100% chance of not catching a fish if you aren't on the water
or something like that.

be safe out there

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
did you see the Pt Defiance creel reports for the July 4th weekend?
almost 100 kings caught each day. that number has come down a lot this week.
pay attention to the regs. fishing is not open every day.

excited to test the Lincoln Park area on Sunday. still a bit early, but you never know.
what do they say: you have a 100% chance of not catching a fish if you aren't on the water
or something like that.

be safe out there
There were also 300+ boats out there since everywhere else was closed. MA 11 is closed till August 3rd.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
These regs and seasons are getting goofier and goofier. As always, I really wish there was an exception for shore fishing to many of these rules. They are being driven by chinook encounters I'm guessing and very few happen from shore (relative to boats).

Hoping to get out tomorrow, but might have a last minute schedule change that keeps me from it.

dep

Steelhead
thanks for the heads up on 11. must have gotten the quota. checking the regs again now.
RyRy - did you get out/ are you out today?

dep

Steelhead
Lincoln Park shoreline will be crowded I'm sure.
I always try to troll just outside the longest caster (usually a buzz-bomber).

dep

Steelhead
I see nothing on Fish and Game about area 11 being closed.
not that I plan to fish it Sunday (as its closed on Sundays anyway)

dep

Steelhead
you would think they would have that info on the Home page of Washington Fish and Game.
just like I read today that fire are not allowed in Ea Wa. at this time.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Been out at a popular MA9 spot the last couple days. I lost count at 562 smolt encounters. A few coho have come to the beach, but not many fish to be had. I saw maybe 5 fish pulled out yesterday, all coho. Saw a couple fish landed on boats.
I got one this am, and the guy next to me pulled in a king that was maaaybe 8 pounds. That’s all for this morning’s session.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah, you can subscribe to get the emergency regs by email too. They have had that E WA fires in the hopper for a bit just waiting until the land dried out a bit more.

I didn't end up heading out today as I was wrapping up a presentation at work and didn't have time to get the boat all prepped. I'm weighing going tomorrow for a later start up in Everett but unsure if it would be worth it if I missed the morning high

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Side note on the beach I fished…yesterday there were 5 fly guys on the beach fishing well south of everybody else. 3/5 wearing identical waders and stripping baskets. I was entertained.

Bagman

Steelhead
These regs and seasons are getting goofier and goofier. As always, I really wish there was an exception for shore fishing to many of these rules. They are being driven by chinook encounters I'm guessing and very few happen from shore (relative to boats).

Hoping to get out tomorrow, but might have a last minute schedule change that keeps me from it.
Didn’t they do that a few years back? I seem to remember that season they did not allow any thing that floated, boats, tubes, boards, and so on.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Side note on the beach I fished…yesterday there were 5 fly guys on the beach fishing well south of everybody else. 3/5 wearing identical waders and stripping baskets. I was entertained.
If those three guys go fishless for more than five straight hours, they activate the magic crystal on their matching Abel nippers and combine to become the Mega Cohozord. You all probably know the Mega Cohozord better by its forum handle: @jasmillo

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Often newer and less experienced beach fly anglers find it intimidating to jump in with the crowd, and often for good reason (poor casting for a close neighbor). However, I've had quite a few mornings saved fishing well south of everyone else....

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Often newer and less experienced beach fly anglers find it intimidating to jump in with the crowd, and often for good reason (poor casting for a close neighbor). However, I've had quite a few mornings saved fishing well south of everyone else....
Understood, and not knocking it. We've all been there (well, maybe not SF). It was the carbon copy attire and stripping baskets that I found entertaining.

Smalma

Life of the Party
WDFW creel checks on the MA 9 first 3-day fishery was pretty darn good. In fact, one has to wonder whether the MA 9 Chinook fishery will last much (if at all) beyond this week's 3-day opener.

If the Chinook fishery closes that early I sure many here will be extremely interested what the discussions are and the ultimate decision will be on the MA 9 coho fishery. That answer will likely come down to the amount of potential Chinook left and how much coho fishing will it support.

Curt

SeaRunner

Steelhead
WDFW creel checks on the MA 9 first 3-day fishery was pretty darn good. In fact, one has to wonder whether the MA 9 Chinook fishery will last much (if at all) beyond this week's 3-day opener.

If the Chinook fishery closes that early I sure many here will be extremely interested what the discussions are and the ultimate decision will be on the MA 9 coho fishery. That answer will likely come down to the amount of potential Chinook left and how much coho fishing will it support.

Curt

I'm curious as to why you would say this. By my math the publicly available numbers show a catch of 0.3 fish per angler in Area 9 over the initial 3 days. The first 3 days of 2021 season had a catch of .296 fish per angler, with higher total participation and catch in 2021. The 2021 season ran nearly 3 weeks and my memory is that it was continuous during that time.

I understand that WDFW is likely going to be cautious given the new management plan and potential consequences for exceeding impacts on Stillaguamish chinook, but we are talking about a 4,700 fish quota.

My memory from the season setting process is that the Puget Sound chinook quotas were set at levels that reserved some impacts for coho.

Smalma

Life of the Party
SeaRunner -

WDFW just posted the updated numbers all the Puget Sound summer Chinook seasons. For MA 9 their estimate for that first 3-day opening was a catch of 1,800 chinook or 38% of the quota.

It will be really interesting to see what this week's 3-day catches are. With the build of 4 days of fish between the openings and milder tides I would not be shocked to see numbers similar or better than the first week.

Curt

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
SeaRunner -

WDFW just posted the updated numbers all the Puget Sound summer Chinook seasons. For MA 9 their estimate for that first 3-day opening was a catch of 1,800 chinook or 38% of the quota.

It will be really interesting to see what this week's 3-day catches are. With the build of 4 days of fish between the openings and milder tides I would not be shocked to see numbers similar or better than the first week.

Curt
I predict the MA9 chinook quota will further approach the set limit after this Saturday.

Some nice tides coming up later this week.