Area 9 Opener

SeaRunner

Steelhead
SeaRunner -

WDFW just posted the updated numbers all the Puget Sound summer Chinook seasons. For MA 9 their estimate for that first 3-day opening was a catch of 1,800 chinook or 38% of the quota.

It will be really interesting to see what this week's 3-day catches are. With the build of 4 days of fish between the openings and milder tides I would not be shocked to see numbers similar or better than the first week.

Curt

I saw that. I also think I misread your prior post as I thought you were saying the quota would be potentially met after the first 3 day opener that was just held this past week.

I agree it will be interesting to see what drops after this coming week. Better tides vs. potential decline in CPUE vs. 4 days no fishing pressure.

cedarslug

Steelhead
Side note on the beach I fished…yesterday there were 5 fly guys on the beach fishing well south of everybody else. 3/5 wearing identical waders and stripping baskets. I was entertained.

Well now we gotta know the brand of the waders and stripping baskets.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Might as well be wearing diapers and a salty pacifier dressing like that on the beach. Noobs!

Reactions: NRC

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Simms Guide waders, Linekurv basket sans stickers, Patagonia Micro Puff, blue Sage hat.

That’s pretty much me sans the the blue Sage hat. I do wear a blue hat often though.

Sage guide waders. - just bought a pair. Classic guide though. I want them tough without the durability compromised bells and whistles.

Patagonia micro puff….YUP! I wear a lot of things but a micro puff or two is always in the truck. Why…they work.

Lincurv basket sans stickers. DOUBLE YUP! When a company starts paying me (not going to happen), I’ll rock stickers like a NASCAR driver.

On occasion, I’ll also fish well south of folks at the beach you are talking about. Actually, does not really matter the MA 9 beach you speak of because fishing well south of everyone else on all those beaches can be worth it. No need to join me to find out why ;).

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Come say hi in the am! I’ll be wearing my Mont-Bell OG micropuff, sporting a satin gold Tibor Everglades on some fancy rod.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Sounded a bit slow this morning on the beach based on the one report I got.
Hopefully it picked up as the tide got higher.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Nice. I am going to have to give it the old 5-8 AM, start work a little late shot tomorrow.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Report from the Everett launch is that the morning fishing was slower than the previous week. Maybe it will translate to fishing continuing into August.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Too few days to salmon fish this year to be much concerned with wind! Directionally, the wind looks fine for at least parts of some beaches.

Looks like you might get some clouds as well, at least early on.
Good luck!
SF

Bagman

Steelhead
Looks like you might get some clouds as well, at least early on.
Good luck!
SF
Ok so I’m trying to make as many reasons why I can’t go fishing because my wife is on my butt because I don’t get released by my Dr tell next Tuesday July 26th after elbow surgery. Of course she is right.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Ok so I’m trying to make as many reasons why I can’t go fishing because my wife is on my butt because I don’t get released by my Dr tell next Tuesday July 26th after elbow surgery. Of course she is right.
I’m also stuck not fishing for a while, so I’m gonna agree that fishing conditions are terrible for the foreseeable.