Search results

1. Guy Gregory

UV fluorescent materials

At the NWExpo, I sat with a gentleman tying truly wonderful flies out of common, but not necessarily common materials. Fascinating. One of the things he showed me was a very fine white fiber that fluoresced brightly when using his uv light. He had an interesting way of acquiring that fiber which...
  2. Guy Gregory

NFR Spokane Fires

As many of you may be aware, we’ve burned over 20000 acres in the Spokane area, losing hundreds of structures many of which are homes. Many of those folks are outdoor people, lots of whom are fly anglers or otherwise anglers who’ve worked hard for wildlife and fish. There’s lots of gofundme’s...
  3. Guy Gregory

Mid-season report: Edge Archetype 904-4

For my 65th birthday, I decided I wanted a new fly rod. My go-to rod celebrated it’s 30th anniversary last year, and while it has earned a section of my soul all its own, I thought it would understand. I also decided I wanted a “tailor-made” rod. I’ve always pretty much rolled my own, figuring...
  4. Guy Gregory

First outing and first cluster of the year

OK, Sunday I went to a local lake for my first stillwater outing this year. I know it's late, but... I grabbed my stuff, glanced in the bag for relevant tackle, tossed the pontoon on the truck and was on the road about 8. Got to the lake about 9 and there was hardly anyone there. Bank fishers...
  5. Guy Gregory

Perhaps you can enlighten me

Sorry, folks, but the salmon discussion confuses me, still. I'm an inland guy who lives where we killed all anadromous fish years ago. And while we have similar discussions on predators with resident fish (Pelicans at Rocky Ford for example) the ones about salmon and steelhead still boggle my...
  6. Guy Gregory

Glues/UV cement applicator of choice?

I confess I'm terrible at glue management. I recently came across a bottle of superglue in a package under the loctite brand that seems to dispense reasonable amounts, is not spill prone, and doesn't harden in the tube before it dries on the fly. I'm obviously not an heir to the company, and it...
  7. Guy Gregory

Edge Fly Rods

Gary Loomis is, of course, a legend. I'm looking pretty hard at one of his rods, which is of course on backorder, etc. etc. So, would anyone like to share an experience using one of the Edge Archetype rods? I'm looking at the 4 weight, but any of the lighter weight experiences are of...
  8. Guy Gregory

FS Weber Smokey Mountain 22”

Spokane area: Weber Smokey Mountain 22”, excellent condition, semi-pimped with handles, casters, silicone temp probe gaskets, crossed charcoal grates, Pit Viper fan adapter. Listed Spokane Craigslist at $225, PNWFF DMs get a $200 asking price. Nope, can’t ship, may be able to deliver...
  9. Guy Gregory

Too hot to fish?

Make pickles! 15 1/2 quarts yesterday!
  10. Guy Gregory

A Kiwi Rodmaker

I listened to a fly fishing related podcast recently (The February Room) and they announced they were sponsored by an outfit I've never heard of. That's of course not unusual, there's a lot of outfits I never heard of. But, I went to their website, and they've got some interesting rod...
  11. Guy Gregory

Bucks Bag parts and accessories

It looks like Buck's Bags are out of the fishing business. Is there a source for parts, bladders and such anyone has had success with?
  12. Guy Gregory

Some help on reel parts

After a bit of searching, I treated myself to a Snowbee 5/6 Cassette reel this winter. Can't wait. Smooth, nice cassettes, gonna be great. Terriffic fit and finish, yes. Love it. One thing, though. As I'm lining the cassettes, I notice there is a knob holding the cassette/outside rim to the...
  13. Guy Gregory

Camper van diesel heater install

I'm one of those who built a campervan out of a retired corporate '03 Ford E250 about 12 years ago to give my gang (dog, SWMBO, me) a place to sleep off the ground, tow a trailer, and handle rough roads that would take us to USFS and NPS campgrounds in relative comfort and safety. It's a great...