First outing and first cluster of the year

OK, Sunday I went to a local lake for my first stillwater outing this year. I know it's late, but... I grabbed my stuff, glanced in the bag for relevant tackle, tossed the pontoon on the truck and was on the road about 8.

Got to the lake about 9 and there was hardly anyone there. Bank fishers as usual but no bait guys, so maybe the signage is working. I noted when loading up the pontoon I was missing some things. A couple of tippet spools, bobber box, and my pontoon anchor among them. Hmm. I did have my waders and fins, so, what the hell. On the water 9:30.

Lake way down. I head northeast for a while, trolling a leech pattern, and desperately wanting to fish chironomids. Minimal surface action in evidence, one other angler in an unusual watercraft (inflatable yak?, elongated watermaster???) but he ain't actually burning up the air with fish action either.

I kick around for an hour and head back southwest to fish chirionomids intending on using a big ol' hopper pattern for a bobber. Now I'm in range of the launch, and hilarity ensues. If you've ever seen the Qualified Captian website, this was it. Fun starts with a dude producing some kind of inflatable device right in the middle of the ramp and pumping it up with a barrel hand pump. Car, everything all around. New arrival has raft on trailer, works hard to launch around this guy, and sound being what it is I'm privy to the conversations from about 1/4 mile. Words are generally collegial, but it's clear the new arrival is a bit annoyed and the Dude is none too happy folks are "pushing" him. Raft launches, guy gets aboard with kid and goes his merry way. Dude with inflatable still pumping. Next guy has pontoon, avoids the ramp proper and threads the needle between the bank anglers and the ramp, clearly not his first rodeo, he's on his way in like 10 minutes. Last guy I could watch launched a really nice drift boat, looked brand new. He arrives at the ramp just as Dude moves his car and stuff and finally gets on the water. Drift boat guy has a significant other with a dog who are helping him back up the trailer and launch. It's clear he hasn't launched yet this year, and maybe not for a couple. Sound travels, I'm struggling with my chironomid setup and after about a half hour of this I am laughing so hard I gotta go pee.

I am reminded of the recent meme "Trailers backed: $20".

So no fish, plenty entertainment, and now I',m going to get my tackle organized better for criminy sakes.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yes, the block the ramp for everyone person is always an interesting character.
Same with the people who fish directly on the ramp and think you are inconveniencing them when they need to reel up when you need to use the ramp.
The best I saw this weekend was a guy with a big dually truck launch a boat that looked like it was a good 28’ or so long on a pretty small lake. Would have been a great boat for tuna. It looked funny as hell watching them land a 9” stocker in that thing.
SF

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
OK, Sunday I went to a local lake for my first stillwater outing this year. I know it's late, but... I grabbed my stuff, glanced in the bag for relevant tackle, tossed the pontoon on the truck and was on the road about 8.

Got to the lake about 9 and there was hardly anyone there. Bank fishers as usual but no bait guys, so maybe the signage is working. I noted when loading up the pontoon I was missing some things. A couple of tippet spools, bobber box, and my pontoon anchor among them. Hmm. I did have my waders and fins, so, what the hell. On the water 9:30.

Lake way down. I head northeast for a while, trolling a leech pattern, and desperately wanting to fish chironomids. Minimal surface action in evidence, one other angler in an unusual watercraft (inflatable yak?, elongated watermaster???) but he ain't actually burning up the air with fish action either.

I kick around for an hour and head back southwest to fish chirionomids intending on using a big ol' hopper pattern for a bobber. Now I'm in range of the launch, and hilarity ensues. If you've ever seen the Qualified Captian website, this was it. Fun starts with a dude producing some kind of inflatable device right in the middle of the ramp and pumping it up with a barrel hand pump. Car, everything all around. New arrival has raft on trailer, works hard to launch around this guy, and sound being what it is I'm privy to the conversations from about 1/4 mile. Words are generally collegial, but it's clear the new arrival is a bit annoyed and the Dude is none too happy folks are "pushing" him. Raft launches, guy gets aboard with kid and goes his merry way. Dude with inflatable still pumping. Next guy has pontoon, avoids the ramp proper and threads the needle between the bank anglers and the ramp, clearly not his first rodeo, he's on his way in like 10 minutes. Last guy I could watch launched a really nice drift boat, looked brand new. He arrives at the ramp just as Dude moves his car and stuff and finally gets on the water. Drift boat guy has a significant other with a dog who are helping him back up the trailer and launch. It's clear he hasn't launched yet this year, and maybe not for a couple. Sound travels, I'm struggling with my chironomid setup and after about a half hour of this I am laughing so hard I gotta go pee.

I am reminded of the recent meme "Trailers backed: $20".

So no fish, plenty entertainment, and now I',m going to get my tackle organized better for criminy sakes.

Boat ramps are the barometer of society for intelligence and courtesy.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Boat ramps are the barometer of society for intelligence and courtesy.
And perhaps oblivion. It seems to me there are an awful lot of folks who might otherwise be courteous but who are simply unaware of their actions (and I'm not talking about the fat butted Budweiser swilling boat launch fishing pinhead).

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's one of my locals. It's a popular ski lake so has 2 lanes. This guy found a way to block both while he seemingly rearranged nearly everything in his boat. He at least gave me a "sorry it took me so long. 1st launch of the year." You don't say...

Screenshot_20230501-222224~2.png

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's one of my locals. It's a popular ski lake so has 2 lanes. This guy found a way to block both while he seemingly rearranged nearly everything in his boat. He at least gave me a "sorry it took me so long. 1st launch of the year." You don't say...

View attachment 63783

The WDFW should take land manifest destiny style and make lanes at ramps double wide because there's so many who can't back a trailer using the available space. We need to make provisions for these trailer challenged people. Taking land from taxpayers for that purpose seems appropriate.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
About 10 years ago I took my then new 14’ cat to Oregon to float some rivers I’d fished as a lad, Sandy, Trask and Clackamas. Asked my then 17 year old nephew if he would like to go and get a rowing and fishing lesson which he eagerly accepted. Don’t get to see much of him and he’s a great kid, we put in below the hatchery on the Clack and took out at the Barton ramp which is just big enough to hold one boat at the base of the ramp, out of the current. Leaving the cat in his hands on a lead I went to find where the shuttle service had parked my truck, noting a young group putting together a cheap inflatable on the actual ramp with all their gear spread out next to it, effectively blocking the ramp. When I got back to the ramp with the truck they were still blocking it. As I walked do the ramp and started to speak with them a bankie who we were blocking with the cat started going off on my nephew. I walked down to him to explain the ramp was blocked and he started in on me and my truck (with California plates) and #@$! Californians. My temper started up and I told him I’d been fishing this river as long as he had and it wasn’t a Californian blocking the ramp and keeping me from pulling my boat out. That got the kids on the ramp going and it got pretty loud. My nephew is a pretty big guy and they decided discretion might be the better part of valor and a girl with the kids on the ramp convinced them to just move their crap out of the way, (which I’d politely asked them), and we all parted ways.
I apologized to my nephew for losing my temper, he thought the whole scene was pretty funny but what the fuck has happened to common sense and courtesy!

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
A couple of tips on how not to be an example at a boat launch from a guy too old to get too angry and get his ass kicked. If you haven't done the boat ramp thing, it can be done, it just requires a proper attitude. By the way, I personally have not made all mistakes. Most of them, but not all.

1. You don't have to be overly courteous, necessarily, but don't be an a#@hole.

If on a trailer, get your boat ready to launch in the parking lot. Remove the hold down straps and anything like road covers. Put everything in your boat you can that you're bringing with you (coolers, emotor batteries, tackle boxes, etc.). Inflate if you've a trailered inflatable. Have lines ready to secure the boat once launched to whatever you can secure it while you park and get your rods and stuff, and your prompt return. You'll earn respect of others and avoid being an a#@hole because no one has to wait overlong for you.

If inflating but not trailered, find a spot near the launch, but out of the way of other launchers while you assemble and inflate. You'll earn respect of others, avoid being an a#@hole and generally be entertained and/or enlightened as you watch others. And yes, it's hard to carry them to the launch when you are ready, but that's a tradeoff for an inflatable, portable craft. You must carry them. You also can (and should) choose a place to launch near, but not on, the trailer launch. There's usually a place, beach area, shore area or something for you. You don't have a trailer.

2. There's a queue to take out. Take your place in it calmly, try not to cut, and be generous when the guy in the bass boat cuts you off.

Getting out, get lines ready or scope out a proper spot to beach while waiting for the line ahead to clear. If trailering, when it's your turn, secure your craft as next in line, get going and get up to your rig, and back down to the launch. If there's a line here, you'll ideally leave enough room for the guy in front of you to grab his boat and pull out without customizing your trailer or the side of his rig. Once clear to the ramp, back in and retrieve your boat. Back in far enough to pull the boat on the trailer, hook up, and pull up into the parking area out of the way to secure your boat and finish your unloading/securing routine. Your passengers and dog will need to walk from the launch to where you parked. Everyone will be impressed because you avoid being an a#@hole.

If inflating, pluck your boat from your beaching spot as soon as you can and deflate, again out of the way, watching the other folks back their trailers while you have a beer and listen to your boats deflate. Unload your stuff into your rig (which is also parked out of the way) and when deflated, load up. Everyone will be impressed because you avoid being an a#@hole.

Some a#@holes will cut you off. That's okay, they're busier than you in order to pay for all that metalflake. Be happy. You're on the water. And remember, there's a sh*&load of guns out there, good manners and patience are good things to have. Someday someone will instruct them on how to avoid being an a#@hole. But not you, not today.

A tip on backing a trailer:

The boat ramp is no place to learn. Try a parking lot: for example community colleges have big lots that see no parking on weekends..big wide open area to back around and mess up. Hitch up, go on down there, back from hither to yon at your hearts content. Learn to use your mirrors and look over your shoulder as you back, both methods are useful. Oh, and it isn't a race, slow and once is better than fast and many attempts. Easy does it, it's a skill, you can learn it. Soon you'll be Reverse Royalty.

If you're with someone who's backing a trailer, shouted backing tips (No, your other left! Sharper! not so sharp!) don't help. The only thing you should say is Stop! when something/one is about to get damaged. And if you're backing and someone with you says Stop! .... Stop! You will avoid being an a#@hole. And maybe damaging something.

And once you've some experience with no pressure, you'll soon be backing with confidence. If you can back into your own garage without wrecking your own stuff, you're a journeyman.

Oh, and one more: backing an empty trailer can be a challenge. Mirrors work good in this application, but cheap stores sell little magnetic balls on sticks you can put on your trailer to tell you where the center is. Very handy.

Preaching over, I hope these (and the tips to follow) help you to have fun on the water and avoid being an a#@hole.

RCF

Life of the Party
Believe it or not, I have never seen, been a part of, nor witnessed, boat launch issues like being discussed here. And that is over a period of 50+ years.

Only real issue I have seen was a family launched a boat, tied it up to a dock while the truck and trailer were being parked. Went perfectly fine until it did not. They forgot to put the drain plug(s) in the transom/stern...

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Believe it or not, I have never seen, been a part of, nor witnessed, boat launch issues like being discussed here. And that is over a period of 50+ years.

Only real issue I have seen was a family launched a boat, tied it up to a dock while the truck and trailer were being parked. Went perfectly fine until it did not. They forgot to put the drain plug(s) in the transom/stern...

You need to go to Pass Lake more often. I humored myself one day while anchored and catching fish not far off the launch by seeing how long it would take some people to launch. One and a half hours for one guy setting up right at the water.......total oblivious to others trying to launch.
SF

RCF

Life of the Party
You need to go to Pass Lake more often. I humored myself one day while anchored and catching fish not far off the launch by seeing how long it would take some people to launch. One and a half hours for one guy setting up right at the water.......total oblivious to others trying to launch.
SF

Where is a good place to go and watch a sh#t show close to Renton or Seattle? I am obviously missing out on something or living a very sheltered life...

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Though not fishing related, I bet Gene Coulon park in Renton on a hot summer weekend day could be spectacular launch viewing.
Shilshole has its moments as well.
SF

Reactions: RCF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Though not fishing related, I bet Gene Coulon park in Renton on a hot summer weekend day could be spectacular launch viewing.
Shilshole has its moments as well.
SF
Second that! We launch at Gene Coulon for kids tubing and on a warm day it's as clustered as any other. Non trailered car going wrong way on launch/retrieve lanes, they should not be in this parking lot at all. Non trailered cars taking up trailered parking spaces, people walking all over as you're backing up, anything goes. It can be really stressful for sure.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Hahahaha - A group of us decided to go fishing Puget Sound, launching at Suquamish. My friend Bomi had this very nice old mahogany boat. He did a pretty good job backing down the curved ramp. I asked him as he was undoing the winch strap if he'd put the plug in. ""Oh Pat, of course". The boat's floating, he drives up the hill and starts BS'ing with someone. I noticed that the floorboards started floating so I hollered at him that his boat was taking on water and there's no damn plug to stop it from taking on water. He came walking down the ramp in disbelief only to find that he'd forgotten the boat plug (I should have checked it as well) and the boat was in fact sinking. In panic mode, backing a trailer down a curved ramp isn't easy. Nor was it easy to get a half sunk boat onto the trailer and as every physicist knows, boats drain at 1/10th the rate they fill. ;-)

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve launched boats for four decades at ramps on Oahu…I’ve seen it all. I’ve pulled several boats out that forgot to put in the plug (one large one that required lift bags at the stern)…I’ve even driven other peoples trucks to launch their boats that had newbs at the wheel…

But it’s more interesting watching people new to the boat/trailer thing coming back to the ramp…