Glues/UV cement applicator of choice?

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I confess I'm terrible at glue management. I recently came across a bottle of superglue in a package under the loctite brand that seems to dispense reasonable amounts, is not spill prone, and doesn't harden in the tube before it dries on the fly. I'm obviously not an heir to the company, and it ain't perfect, but it's pretty fool resistant

It needs to resist fools to be around me for long.

Is there a uv package/dispenser/solution with the same characteristics? Something maybe pen size, reloadable, with a small uv light on the opposite end of the dispenser?
Or, failing that, what is your favorite UV resin and application method for flies size 10-18? Is there something reasonably adapted for the clumsy?

Thanks

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I like Loon Clear Resin...and the larger Loon UV light. As far as applicator I just use a bodkin dipped in the resin bottle (which is black and quite opaque), only taking the cap off briefly. The damn applicators that come with the Loon resin don't work well for me after the first few uses due to plugging. I think they slowly allow enough UV through their translucent material to cure the resin. The bodkin works better at spreading and controlling the amount and distribution of the resin anyway.

Ain't nothing fool-proof about it though.
I swiped a silicone base from my wife's art supplies (tradename "Ink Cozy") that significantly increases the stability of the Loon bottle (it stretches around and stays with the bottle)..although knocking over a bottle of Loon, with its narrow aperture and greater viscosity, is nothing like knocking over an open bottle of head cement.20230121_165046.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I like Loon Clear Resin...and the larger Loon UV light. As far as applicator I just use a bodkin dipped in the resin bottle (which is black and quite opaque), only taking the cap off briefly. The damn applicators that come with the Loon resin don't work well for me after the first few uses due to plugging. I think they slowly allow enough UV through their translucent material to cure the resin. The bodkin works better at spreading and controlling the amount and distribution of the resin anyway.

Ain't nothing fool-proof about it though.
Ditto Krusty's technique with Deer Creek and Solarez (and for that matter, Loctite super glue).

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am a bit of a heretic here. I use UV Resin marketed for jewelry crafts. It is much cheaper than the fly tying marketed UV resins, dries hard and clear without residue. Handles UV resin dyes and glitter very well. Since UV Resins aren’t solvent based, they don’t dry out when exposed to air like super glue and head cements. I’ve had resin in a small clear container viable for at least a week as long as it’s not exposed to UV light. For really fine work, I just put a few drops of resin in a small, clear container and use a bodkin or straight pin to apply. For larger work I just apply it directly from the nozzle of the large container. For curing I use a cheap, but powerful UV light designed for the craft business.

Amazon product ASIN B09NDJFWR8
Amazon product ASIN B07JKD522X

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Ah, I was hoping there was some space-age gadget which made application way better, but the ol' bodkin method seems to remain the method of choice.

I did grab some pliers and twist off the stupid brush applicator on the loon cement, which just drips all over. While I was at it I did the same to the newest bottle of Sally Hansen's I got, and yes, I still have two kinds of thread cement.

Thanks, guys.

Guy

kmudgn

Steelhead
I suspect that everyone has their "favorite", so what works for me may not be used by others.

In general, I use Veniard Cellire as a general purpose head cement. I apply with a bodkin and find that it penetrates thread well and hold until (hopefully) a fish destroys the fly. I also use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails when I wrap wire for weight. I find that the HAN products is heavy enough to secure the wire to the hook, although its not strictly necessary.
I do use some resins on a few large flies to secure the head, but am very wary of epoxy and UV set chemicals. In general, they are very toxic and I avoid them if possible. In addition, recent studies have shown that there is a possible (but small) link between Nail Salon UV set lights and cancer.

mickey rat

Vermin
While looking at the information sheet for a tube of E6000 crafts adhesive it was suggested to use some petroleum jelly on the threads of the tube. I wish I had done this on all the super glue bottles I've tossed. Anybody do this?

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
The Space-Age gadget I was looking for is the Bondic pen. I tracked it down and did a little research on it, and everyone seems to think it stays tacky and is expensive on cost per unit volume basis. So, I'll stick to the bodkin for now.

Has anyone tried this thing out?

Zak

Legend
While looking at the information sheet for a tube of E6000 crafts adhesive it was suggested to use some petroleum jelly on the threads of the tube. I wish I had done this on all the super glue bottles I've tossed. Anybody do this?
I use dubbing wax.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Solarez bone dry is nice and I like the brush applicator for small applications and nymphs and such.

Still using ccg or loon standard with some small wooden craft store flat dowel type deals to spread the glue for larger applications and over the eyes etc.

Big fan of the loon infinity light with the rechargeable battery.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
… is nothing like knocking over an open bottle of head cement.
Been there done that…
Was at the NW Fly Tying & Fishing Expo to tie the early session. Got there WAY early, set up, and tied a “warm up” fly, to limber up. I take the cap off…and as I go to dip the botkin in…splat!! There was quite the puddle of a once full bottle of Hard As Hull Cement. Spent the next fifteen minutes wipin’ it up with alcohol wipes.

Not my best performance to start the weekend… 🤦🏼‍♂️