Some help on reel parts

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
After a bit of searching, I treated myself to a Snowbee 5/6 Cassette reel this winter. Can't wait. Smooth, nice cassettes, gonna be great. Terriffic fit and finish, yes. Love it.

One thing, though. As I'm lining the cassettes, I notice there is a knob holding the cassette/outside rim to the reel axle. That threads on and off, the threads are M4-0.7 if you're interested.

Lots of today's reels hold their spools on with this same knob.

My old cassettes were held on to the axle by a springy clip, similar to the old Pfleuger Medalist system.

I am now 64 years old and I can tell you truthfully I'm gonna drop this knob in the water. And then I'll have no way to hold the cassettes onto the reel, so I'll either need to buy a new reel or go home and buy a new reel. I think that's unacceptable.

I've an inquiry into snowbee to see if I can buy some spares, but in the interim does anyone know what you call these knobs as a fastener, and how a guy might go about grabbing a spare or two?

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Hey, what a great idea!
Pic 1 is the assembled reel with the knob in place325F9193-0E9E-4473-89D3-09A0CD4977BE.jpeg

Pic 2 is the knob, removed, anterior view

39FC6654-791B-4965-9F0E-94E1BEEFAB11.jpeg

Pic 3 is the posterior view of the knob. Note the threaded part stands proud of the cap, threading in to an axle flush with the reel surface.
C575CF6A-6A0E-4094-9252-84EF3AF8FADE.jpeg

Any guesses or advice other than “don’t drop it!”?

B

bennysbuddy

Try finding a knob & retreading it to 4mmx.07 might be the solution

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Snowbee got back to me, I'm hopeful they can help. It's a great reel, I hope to have a lavishly great review of their customer service group. Right now, it's all one could ask for.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Okay, here’s how this ends.

First, the part is called a spool cap. It can be machined, or otherwise manufactured, of course.

The Snowbee folks, while not as actively communicable as I might wish, were uniformly pleasant and kind. It took a while, but today they’re sending me a spool off a display model right away, and will follow up with two others as soon as the arrive in the US.

I think they’ll be laying in a stock of these, since I am not the only fumbling fool with a flyrod.

So, all in all I give the Snowbee folks a strong 9+ for customer service. Supply chain/Brexit/yadda yadda troubles seem to mess up even things as crucial as fly fishing equipment.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Always good to hear stories of good customer service. Unfortunately, doesn’t happen a lot these days.