Edge Fly Rods

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Gary Loomis is, of course, a legend. I'm looking pretty hard at one of his rods, which is of course on backorder, etc. etc.

So, would anyone like to share an experience using one of the Edge Archetype rods? I'm looking at the 4 weight, but any of the lighter weight experiences are of interest to me. Your observations and advice is appreciated.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
If you Google it, there are some rodbuilding sites that have reviews of No. Fork Composites Alpha and Beta rod blanks. These are the blanks used for Edge flyrods...

mems

Steelhead
Have a bunch. 4-12wts. Beautiful rods great components and naked graphite, hence very light. Gary is a great designer.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I just looked at the Edge website and noticed that the Archetype model uses their LMX blanks. I have two rods using these blanks. A 11ft 7# switch and a 10ft 6# single hand. I like them alot. They are, what I would call "fast with feel". Very smooth casting. So, Google No. Fork Composites LMX blanks for reviews...

Last edited:

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
No experience with their fly rods but based on my very positive experience with 4 different models of their gear rods, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a fly rod from them. Customer service and communications aren't quite at the Sage/Scott level but it's a different business model.

mems

Steelhead
I have the original Beta rods with cork grips. The new archetype look nice and at a good price. Might have to get a new 8wt.