What are you drinking?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wife and I spent 3 days and 2 nights in Astoria. Noticed the Pilot House distillery and dropped in. To keep the story short, I picked up a bottle of their American Whiskey and their “Ocean Aged” Oregon Single Malt Whisky. The former was bourbon-like and surprisingly good. The latter was the one that made it home intact.

What is “ocean aged”? This one spent a year on a shrimp boat. The movement accelerated the aging and created a fairly smooth and tasty single-malt whisky. It might be my imagination, but I thought I did catch a hint of shrimp.

I highly recommend both of Pilot House’s whiskies.

Attachments

• F11311F0-096B-430E-AEAB-782B1C811FCA.jpeg
    F11311F0-096B-430E-AEAB-782B1C811FCA.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 4

cody-

Steelhead
Wife and I spent 3 days and 2 nights in Astoria. Noticed the Pilot House distillery and dropped in. To keep the story short, I picked up a bottle of their American Whiskey and their “Ocean Aged” Oregon Single Malt Whisky. The former was bourbon-like and surprisingly good. The latter was the one that made it home intact.

What is “ocean aged”? This one spent a year on a shrimp boat. The movement accelerated the aging and created a fairly smooth and tasty single-malt whisky. It might be my imagination, but I thought I did catch a hint of shrimp.

I highly recommend both of Pilot House’s whiskies.
... Shrimp whiskey... And that's about it.
a077828a8cb19700f6bd9c5804eae9c8.gif

Breck

The Whisk(e)y Dick
Been doing the port thing lately, Dow's 20 or 30 is excellent. Beyond that I am a fan of the peaty Single Malts, Oban, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroaig. and Bunnahabhain
If you can find it, try Springbank. Probably my favorite peated Scotch whisky. The 10yr is the most popular, but they also do 15 and 18 year bottlings. exquisite if you can find/afford them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLT

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Bitburger premium pils tonight.

Breck

The Whisk(e)y Dick
Have to give that a shot. I'll add it to the list of Scotches to look for.
GlenDronach is probably my favorite scotch whisky distillery. They stand apart from most other scotch whiskies in that they don't mature in American ex-bourbon casks. They typically only use European sherry and port casks. Their flagship 12yr is matured in a combination of Oloroso and Pedro Ximinez sherry butts. Rich, deep, and complex.

RCF

Life of the Party
Oregon and Washington has a large number of great craft beers and wonderful wines. Bend Oregon craft breweries will keep you busy for days. Oregon's pinots are wonderful. Washington's wines are also great. I prefer wines from Red Mountain AVA in Benton City.

If you are ever in Renton Highlands on Saturday All Things Wine have free wine tastings all day long. Have to check out the web site because they have different tastings on other days also. Usually focused on a different winery each week. Many times the winemaker is there so you can learn more directly from them. It is a great way to find which varietal you prefer so you can focus more when in Woodinville where so many 'wine tasting rooms' are located.

All Things Wine, a local mom 'n pop business, stocks over 500 wines that are not in QFC, Safeway or Fred Meyer. They also have over 150 different cold, bottled beers - both foreign and domestic - in stock. Wayne, the owner, loves his beers too...

Sound like an advertisement? No - but I love the place and the people plus I have been going there close to 15 years.

Just something to think about if in the area...

Last edited:

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just got back from Sankai, the sushi restaurant in downtown Edmonds. The best deal on a shot of Yamazaki 12yr old I’ve seen in a ridiculously long time. Best drank at the end of the meal.

BTW, Nakano-san used to helm Kisaku, by Greenlake, until he sold the place and opened up SanKai. This is more sushi-focused than Kisaku was and with a greater emphasis on local fish. Well, as much as he can.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
If Y’all find yourselves up in Arlington hit Skookum brewery. Great ales, many of them barrel aged. Take a few bottles home and let ‘‘em sit a little longer, you’ll be glad you did.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The last few years have seen a handful of craft distilleries making single malt whiskey. I can just envision the crew finishing up barelling the very first batch and sitting back, future tripping:
"I can't wait to taste this!"
"What? How long? You're kidding, right? 12 YEARS???!!!???"

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
The last few years have seen a handful of craft distilleries making single malt whiskey. I can just envision the crew finishing up barelling the very first batch and sitting back, future tripping:
"I can't wait to taste this!"
"What? How long? You're kidding, right? 12 YEARS???!!!???"
The dirty little secret of a lot of 'micro distillers' around here is they buy pre aged base from a couple huge distilleries I think in kentucky? I'm too lazy to look it up but theres been lots of articles about it. They can buy the un-aged base liquor too. Then they 'finish' it to their specs at the micro distillery. So they can buy 500 gallons of 8 year aged then finish it in house for a season and bottle.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm a fan of pale ales and ambers. Standards are full sail and mirror pond but I think the best are Copper Line out of Carson and Seven Seas in Gig Harbor and as I'm writing this I'm enjoying a new one that I like called Ash Cloud Amber out of Barrel Mountain brewing in Battle Ground. Yum. And yesterday I had a good one at a local pub called Red Zeppelin. Good Stuff. So many beers so little time.