The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
If I am just mindlessly trolling along, I troll forward, rod in right hand, left hand close to my rudder control. Usually though I am working drop offs, I will position myself facing the shoreline, make long casts, count down for depth, and then slowly pedal backwards or sometimes anchor up and strip retrieve. I like being able to see my line and see where the strike is in relation to my boat, trolling forward is not as satisfying from that regard. I have a Berley Pro rudder extension on my Slayer Propel and it has made the boat track so much better and trolling backwards is pretty easy now.
I started getting an anchor setup figured out but never got it dialed and I haven’t used the yak in a while. I have an upgraded rudder too though I don’t remember the brand off hand. I do remember seeing info on one that extended the rudder down and not out since there’s so little of it in the water. Mine tracks well for distance and that’s the main thing I need in the salt.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I have to say that I really like the IDEA of standing to fish. But I often wonder if it would make a significant difference in the places I fish.

I can stand up in my nucanoe flint but rarely do it. The primary stability just isnt' very high. Secondary is, but it makes things a bit wobbly for setting hooks, etc.
I stand and paddle around SUP style all the time primarily while searching. Lakes and salt. I mostly sit to cast and fish but primarily because I’ve yet to grab a stripping basket for the yak or build an elevated stripping platform or something. Too many line tangles otherwise.

844AF8A1-1925-4DE5-8698-F4F152D2FFB9.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I stand and paddle around SUP style all the time primarily while searching. Lakes and salt. I mostly sit to cast and fish but primarily because I’ve yet to grab a stripping basket for the yak or build an elevated stripping platform or something. Too many line tangles otherwise.
I’m debating if a Kayak is in my future. Watching @Northern fish and quickly cross water convinces me a pedal kayak is a nifty fishing machine. Transporting* one is what’s keeping me from buying one. My truck has a short bed, less than ideal….. Leigh trailers hers. No way I’m going to try and rooftop one.

* Do I really need another watercraft? Yes. No. Maybe. Want - yes.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter

I’m debating if a Kayak is in my future. Watching @Northern fish and quickly cross water convinces me a pedal kayak is a nifty fishing machine. Transporting* one is what’s keeping me from buying one. My truck has a short bed, less than ideal….. Leigh trailers hers. No way I’m going to try and rooftop one.

Any reason you can't use your pram trailer for both?
How far apart are the bunks?

Chadk

Life of the Party
For one or 2 kayaks, I can get mine into the back of my shortbed chevy just fine. They hang off a bit (12 footers), but it's no problem when they are strapped down correctly. Some guys like to get the extenders that you mount from your trailer hitch.

Most places I go, I can back my truck right up to the water and easily load and unload by myself. For a few places, like at a puget sound beach where I can't reach the water with my truck, I have a cart system (Malone widetrack).

mtskibum16

Life of the Party

My bed is only 5' but I use a hitch mounted extender. Works just fine to haul my 13' yak. The extender is handy for hauling other long stuff like lumber too.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter

I fish with Leigh all the time out of our Hobie Compasses. I used to own a Tundra and would haul my kayak using a truck bed extender. Super easy to install, load and unload, etc. Here is the link to one brand for you to check out: https://www.boonedoxusa.com/product-page/classic-t-bone.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I fish with Leigh all the time out of our Hobie Compasses. I used to own a Tundra and would haul my kayak using a truck bed extender. Super easy to install, load and unload, etc. Here is the link to one brand for you to check out: https://www.boonedoxusa.com/product-page/classic-t-bone.
Thanks for the link - So many great ideas.

While I live fishing long leader indicator rigs from my pram - it’s not ideal for stealth in skinny stillwaters. A float tube, pontoon or your Compass are much better “boats”.

Merci!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I have a Tacoma with a 6' bed (I suppose it's about 8' with the tail gate down). I have carried my kayaks (longest is 12'9") using the following method for many years, over thousands of miles.

1) I place the kayak in the bed, hull down, on top of a cheap closed cell dense foam sleeping pad (to eliminate point loads on the hull from the hard truck bed).

2) I place an appropriately sized climbing sling around the end of the kayak sticking out beyond the tailgate, such that it fits about 1' to 2' from the end of the kayak. The climbing loop will only go so far as it snugs against the increasing diameter of the kayak. A climbing sling is webbing sewn together to form a loop, and available at places like REI in a variety of sizes (size required will depend upon kayak diameter at the its exposed end). A climbing sling is incredibly strong (as you suspect because climbers use them to attach a carabiner and run climbing ropes through them to rappel down vertical terrain). The climbing sling distributes the weight of the kayak to the entire kayak...NEVER use the kayak's bow or stern carrying handles to support the kayak when transporting the kayak in a truck bed)

3) I then use two cam cargo straps with hooks on each end to connect the climbing sling (position the hooks in the sling on each side of the kayak) to two attachment points in the TOP part of the truck bed on each side. The truck bed attachment points should be a couple of feet from the end of the truck bed, so as to provide solid support to the exposed end of the kayak. Positioning the attachment points is particularly easy with the Tacoma's adjustable mounts.

4) I pull the cam cargo straps tight (lifting the end of the kayak a bit will facilitate doing so) such that the weight of the kayak hanging out of the truck bed is receiving support from the cargo straps. Do NOT use ratchet cargo straps, since you do not want to place excessive force on the kayak.

5) Finally, I strap the kayak down laterally against the foam pad. This reduces bouncing on rough roads, as well as keeping the kayak's orientation against the forward head of the truck bed. I place a high visibility flag at the end of the kayak so I don't get a ticket from an over-zealous trooper.

It's easier than the directions might appear. Next time I load up I will try to post some pictures to illustrate this simple, cheap, and very secure means to carry a kayak in the bed of a pickup. I've carried my kayaks for many years in this manner, over all sorts of roads, with no damage to any of the 7 kayaks I own. I've even had compliments from kayak dealers when I've picked up a new boat using this method.

Last edited:

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I have a Tacoma with a 6' bed (I suppose it's about 8' with the tail gate down). I have carried my kayaks (longest is 12'9") using the following method for many years, over thousands of miles.

1) I place the kayak in the bed, hull down, on top of a cheap closed cell dense foam sleeping pad (to eliminate point loads on the hull from the hard truck bed).

2) I place an appropriately sized climbing sling around the end of the kayak sticking out beyond the tailgate, such that it fits about 1' to 2' from the end of the kayak. The climbing loop will only go so far as it snugs against the increasing diameter of the kayak. A climbing sling is webbing sewn together to form a loop, and available at places like REI in a variety of sizes (size required will depend upon kayak diameter at the its exposed end). A climbing sling is incredibly strong (as you suspect because climbers use them to attach a carabiner and run climbing ropes through them to rappel down vertical terrain). The climbing sling distributes the weight of the kayak to the entire kayak...NEVER use the kayak's bow or stern carrying handles to support the kayak when transporting the kayak in a truck bed)

3) I then use two cam cargo straps with hooks on each end to connect the climbing sling (position the hooks in the sling on each side of the kayak) to two attachment points in the top part of the truck bed on each side. The truck bed attachment points should be a couple of feet from the end of the truck bed, so as to provide solid support to the exposed end of the kayak. Positioning the attachment points is particularly easy with the Tacoma's adjustable mounts.

4) I pull the cam cargo straps tight (lifting the end of the kayak a bit will facilitate doing so) such that the weight of the kayak hanging out of the truck bed is receiving support from the cargo straps. Do NOT use ratchet cargo straps, since you do not want to place excessive force on the kayak.

5) Finally, I strap the kayak down laterally against the foam pad. This reduces bouncing on rough roads, as well as keeping the kayak's orientation against the forward head of the truck bed. I place a high visibility flag at the end of the kayak so I don't get a ticket from an over-zealous trooper.

It's easier than the directions might appear. Next time I load up I will try to post some pictures to illustrate this simple, cheap, and very secure means to carry a kayak in the bed of a pickup. I've carried my kayaks for many years in this manner, over all sorts of roads, with no damage to any of the 7 kayaks I own.

Looking forward to seeing those pics. When transporting in vehicle, i will be using a 2016 TRD off road with the 6’ bed (has a shell). The new kayak is a 12’ Compass.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Looking forward to seeing those pics. When transporting in vehicle, i will be using a 2016 TRD off road with the 6’ bed (has a shell). The new kayak is a 12’ Compass.
I have a canopy on my 2007 Tacoma as well. If your Compass has a flat keel like my Hobie Passport 12 then this method works great....though it required a longer climbing sling because it's a fat boat.

Also, you should load any kayak with a rudder with bow towards the front...you don't want to damage a rudder mechanism by having it against the truck bed wall at the cab.

The other advantage of this method is that the exposed end of the kayak (hanging out beyond the tailgate) allows me to insert a scupper cart so as I slide the kayak out of the truck bed I can easily wheel it to the launch point). I use the adjustable Sea to Summit scupper cart because it has very soft uprights so the scuppers aren't damaged (as we all know, scuppers are weak points in kayaks). I use a Wheeleze cart for longer transports to launch point.

Last edited:

Chadk

Life of the Party
I have a canopy on my 2007 Tacoma as well. If your Compass has a flat keel like my Hobie Passport 12 then this method works great....though it required a longer climbing sling because it's a fat boat.

Also, you should load any kayak with a rudder with bow towards the front...you don't want to damage a rudder mechanism by having it against the truck bed wall at the cab.

The other advantage of this method is that the exposed end of the kayak (hanging out beyond the tailgate) allows me to insert a scupper cart so as I slide the kayak out of the truck bed I can easily wheel it to the launch point). I use the adjustable Sea to Summit scupper cart because it has very soft uprights so the scuppers aren't damaged (as we all know, scuppers are weak points in kayaks). I use a Wheeleze cart for longer transports to launch point.
My kayaks are built like tanks (feelfree and the Old Town). I use a ratchet and a cam strap - but just make them snug enough so there is no play. slide the yak into the truck bed off my storage cart, 2 straps - one through the handles happens to be the perfect spot for my tie down points. Done. Doesn't budge - even on long dirt roads with pot holes.

krusty

Forum Supporter
My kayaks are built like tanks (feelfree and the Old Town). I use a ratchet and a cam strap - but just make them snug enough so there is no play. slide the yak into the truck bed off my storage cart, 2 straps - one through the handles happens to be the perfect spot for my tie down points. Done. Doesn't budge - even on long dirt roads with pot holes.
All of my SOTs are stout craft. I suspect your Old Town is almost identical to my Ocean Prowler BG 2. Both are mfg by Johnson Outdoors.

I hope you don't store your kayaks suspended using end or side soft handles.

That being said, you have the absolute right to abuse your yaks in any manner you see fit. 😀

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
So, with the pedal kayaks, there's a big honking hole thru the middle of the kayak, where the pedal drive goes. A cam strap run thru that, around the hull, and anchored to the truck bed or trailer, and that thing ain't going anywhere!
If I'm camping or staying ON somewhere, I also run a cable/lock thru the drive hole, and lock it to my trailer.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I should add that I'm not worried about a kayak coming out of short truck bed whilst traveling...but having a long length of kayak hanging unsupported off the tailgate of a small truck isn't good for the kayak.

Last edited:

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
OK. Milestone reached. The pedal kayak arrived at the store; picked it up yesterday and brought it home.

My storage plan for at least the interim was going to be hull down on my (cement) garage floor. However, reading the storage do’s and don’ts has me paranoid that approach will dent the bottom.

My garage layout won’t let me hang it from the ceiling (have a bunch of my surfboards up in the ceiling racks but they won’t accommodate a kayak) nor can i mount a rack from the back wall.

Anyone have any DIY/low cost ideas on storage? I went to the Home Depot yesterday and eyeballed a bunch of cushioning options with idea that i would store it cockpit down on some foam/soft crossbars that i sit off the floor. Having heck of a time finding some suitable foam for the crossbars.