The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

Chadk

Life of the Party
This damn thing has been in my garage for no more than six hours and I already regret not going with a Hobie. Missing one little bolt for mounting the rear seat and their website won't let me place an order because it's outside of the range they ship whole-ass kayaks to... One damn weird shaped bolt that would fit in a standard letter envelope. Because why not have a blanket shipping rule when you could spend 15 more minutes to carve out an exception for small parts on the back-end of the ordering system??

On top of that, even it I had that part, the seats require a bushing, bolt, and bore washer to install but the welding is so sloppy with excess preventing the bushing from going in that I'm going to have to hit Harbor Freight for a metal file to get the bushing in. $2800 dropped on this thing and they can't do the most basic QA on the only welded part...

Maybe they'll get back to my inquiry later in the business week, but with my experience so far, I'm fully prepared to send the replacement parts to family back east and have them forward it along.

Just buy a Hobie, people.
That sucks. I've heard FF has good support typically.

Old Town typically has the best reputation and why I went with them. Mine came in with the seat frame bent. Usuable, but annoyed me that it was new and rhe seat was clearly not to spec. They quickly sent me a whole new seat and I was able to keep the original for a backup if ever needed.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I believe the issue with storing Kayaks right side up is not necessarily that they will get scratched but that they could begin to bow. The recommendation is to store them upside down with the weight on the rails. If these pads work for you to be able to store it upside down, then I see no reason why you shouldn't.
You can hang them from wall mounts on its edge, or lay it deck down. the rails (sides) are the hardest and stiffest part of your yak.

headduck

Steelhead
Alright yall... seems like price coming down as the season wanes and economic uncertainty builds...

Thinking Compass or Outback which are quite similar, and then the Revo pops up.

I'd mostly use for the local bays. Can get windy as hell quick.

I'd fish and crab.

Questions -

Does anybody have experience with the Compass/Outback in wind and current?

The Revo seems like it would be faster with less windage at the cost of stability?

Is this a good take or am I missing other key practical differences in the hull.

Thanks.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
Northern and I fish out of our Compasses quite a lot. I have never had an issue with wind making it hard to get back or maneuver. I haven't fished out of an Outback or Revo. You might consider taking a trip with Gig Harbor Fly Shop if you are in the area since they use Outbacks on their trips.

headduck

Steelhead
It appears the compass is kinds like an outback without all the fussy tangle-ly bits...

Do you ever stand in your compass?

Do you find the upgraded fins to be a necessary safety feature? (Extra-umph for current etc)

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
I do not stand while in the kayak-bad knees and risk-averse! I use the standard fins and have zero issues with steering or speed. I believe you are correct in that the Compass is a more stream lined kayak when compared to the Outback. That being said, I have a ton of stuff on mine and there is plenty of room for more.

Kado

Steelhead
I stand on my Compass easily on lakes and cautiously on a quiet morning on the sound. I usually use a Take stripping basket when standing.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Compass is more streamline, Outback is more stable (wider beam). I stand in my Outback easily when it's calm, but added the front stabilization bar so I have something to grab when there's any chop/wind as I'd prefer not to spend any of my fishing time swimming. ;) Just FYI - I attached my stripping basket to the Standup Bar. Neat setup as it collapses when I fold the bar down (travelling).

headduck

Steelhead
Scooped an outback from camano marine. They overestimated demand and are sitting on a bunch of 22 models for pretty good prices. Good folk too. Very pleasant experience... rarely happens in retail today. Props to them.

Made a little scupper cart out of a crutch. Those suckers are heavy and hobie is super proud of their's.

Did shakedown yesterday in the nearby bay. Rod will go next time.

SUPER STOKED. So much potential.

Question:
Seems like I'll wear the waders out with the pedal action. Drysuit seems a little over kill...maybe.

Was considering a cheaper farmer john wader or wetsuit...but...

What do yall wear? To be safe and comfortable without too many mobility constraints?

What about footwear?

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
Once it gets cold out I usually do wear my waders and boots in the kayak. I hate having cold, wet feet so this is what I feel is best for me. I have removed the rubber foot guides from my pedals as my feet/boots are too big. I have never used them and have no issues with pedaling.

A friend recently told me about Muck boots. If you aren't going to be walking in very deep water this would be another good solution provided you can stay warm enough. The guys at Gig Harbor Fly Shop can be seen in their videos wearing Kokatat-type suits. That would make it hard for the women to take care of business, so I stay away from that. I don't usually go out in the surf though so my risk of going for a swim are lower.

I think it all boils down to what you are most comfortable wearing. I favor warmth and being dry over comfort in the winter. The summer is a whole different story!

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What do yall wear? To be safe and comfortable without too many mobility constraints?

What about footwear?
Congrats on the new Outback. You're going to have a blast.

Paddle wear, like any other dressing situation in the PNW, needs a variety of options to stay comfortable.

For me a drysuit with layers, booties, and a Winter hat on one end of the spectrum. Shorts, T shirt, bare feet at the other. Many variations in between.

Sounds like I need to add a scarf or ascot into the mix.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Just dropped some serious coin on a Kokatat drysuit as I like to fish larger lakes and will probably take it into some bays off the Strait as well. Talk to any serious cold water kayaker and you'll hear some strong arguments for the drysuit. I wear shorts in the late spring/summer/early fall. I haven't fished in it yet but it's surprisingly confortable (except the neck ring is a bit tight and takes some getting used to). I'll report back after I get it on the water.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great choice on the Kokatat. I'll be wearing mine tomorrow.

Keeps me dry in the water or 2" an hour sideways rain storms. The breathability and warranty make it worth buying the gore tex models.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
If you're going to go with waders, wear two belts. One high, one low. And keep a knife , or two, where you can reach them so you can cut yourself out while sinking if you capsize.
Sure, waders will keep you dry, but they will fill quickly when you go in. Alaska lost one guide and almost another about 8 years ago when they got waked by a drunk running a power boat at speed too close to them. The one who survived said he almost could not crawl the last 40 feet onto the beach because his waders were filled and holding him down.
There are similar stories from here in washington and oregon on different kayak fishing forums.

Kado

Steelhead
From what I've seen, if you fall out and your waders fill up, you may not sink and drown, but you could end up dying from hypothermia because you can't get back onto your kayak. This occurs often and even if you have a buddy nearby, you're too heavy to get back on board.

Tobe Hagge

Just Hatched
If you're going to go with waders, wear two belts. One high, one low. And keep a knife , or two, where you can reach them so you can cut yourself out while sinking if you capsize.
Sure, waders will keep you dry, but they will fill quickly when you go in. Alaska lost one guide and almost another about 8 years ago when they got waked by a drunk running a power boat at speed too close to them. The one who survived said he almost could not crawl the last 40 feet onto the beach because his waders were filled and holding him down.
There are similar stories from here in washington and oregon on different kayak fishing forums.
My plan in that situation is to use my knife to cut holes in the legs of my waders. I've never been willing to test it though.