The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I think a few of those very thick (~1.5 - 2") closed cell foam pads Ace hardware sells for gardening would work well. They're quite wide and would easily distribute weight so hull deformation wouldn't occur. I personally wouldn't hesitate to store any of my yaks hull down on a concrete garage floor in such a manner.

One other thing; don't sit in a SOT cockpit unless the kayak is sitting in the water.

Last edited:

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I think a few of those very thick (~1.5 - 2") closed cell foam pads Ace hardware sells for gardening would work well. They're quite wide and would easily distribute weight so hull deformation wouldn't occur. I personally wouldn't hesitate to store any of my yaks hull down on a concrete garage floor in such a manner.

One other thing; don't sit in a SOT cockpit unless the kayak is sitting in the water.

I found these - was thinking few of these might do the trick. Is it important in your opinion that i store it cockpit down?

79C8B92A-8B7B-4BEA-BB96-15F1024095A5.jpeg

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
I believe the issue with storing Kayaks right side up is not necessarily that they will get scratched but that they could begin to bow. The recommendation is to store them upside down with the weight on the rails. If these pads work for you to be able to store it upside down, then I see no reason why you shouldn't.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I'd have no problem storing mine that way.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Lots of times they recommend storage upside down on rails because the point loads from support crossbeams (like padded 2X4s) can deform the hulls. A couple of those foam mats will distribute loads just fine hull down....especially given the flat keels of Hobies.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Update - had the Hobie Compass mirage out for its maiden voyage on Sunday. Focus was on working out boat kinks, but did bring a rod juuuuuust in case. Hooked but didn’t land one nice fish, and caught two others - one a small bass and the other a veeeeery small “inaugural pedal kayak fish”

7612DDE9-9FE3-46A4-8027-2864EEF1DCAE.jpeg

krusty

Forum Supporter
Looking forward to seeing those pics. When transporting in vehicle, i will be using a 2016 TRD off road with the 6’ bed (has a shell). The new kayak is a 12’ Compass.
20220425_081703.jpg
Finally got out today...hope the pic helps!

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Update with question...

I bought the Compass recently. So far so good - though the weather in Puget Sound not exactly cooperating for my local lake yet so have only had it out on water twice.

The Compass includes two “Hobie H-Tracks.” My question is....does anyone know whether there is a Scotty-to-H-Track accessory? I have cruised the web, but everything seems to be predicated on buying one or more H-Rails, which then accept an H-Rail to Scotty mount attachment.

I have a bunch of Scotty mount accessories from my other kayak and am hoping to be able to use them with the Hobie as well.

Candidly the H-Rails seem to not have much utility on their own. Almost all Hobie accessories seem to be with the h rail rather than the h-track, but am I missing something?

CCD4131B-A10E-459A-BFC9-BDCD746E4AEE.png

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Update with question...

I bought the Compass recently. So far so good - though the weather in Puget Sound not exactly cooperating for my local lake yet so have only had it out on water twice.

The Compass includes two “Hobie H-Tracks.” My question is....does anyone know whether there is a Scotty-to-H-Track accessory? I have cruised the web, but everything seems to be predicated on buying one or more H-Rails, which then accept an H-Rail to Scotty mount attachment.

I have a bunch of Scotty mount accessories from my other kayak and am hoping to be able to use them with the Hobie as well.

Candidly the H-Rails seem to not have much utility on their own. Almost all Hobie accessories seem to be with the h rail rather than the h-track, but am I missing something?

View attachment 13725
Scotty Gear Head track adaptor.
Screenshot_20220508-111432_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I think the problem with your searches is calling it an "H track" - only Hobie calls it that. Try just track or T track.

cody-

Steelhead
I just placed an order for a Feelfree Lure II with the overdrive system, so it's a tandem but with a single pedal drive only for the back seat. The tandem Hobies were a bit over my budget and I didn't really see the need for two pedal drives. I also considered other tandems with a trolling motor, but the gf preferred a pedal drive so she could exercise while I fish off the front. Obviously this won't for everyone but it's exactly what we wanted. I'll post an update after it arrives and we get it on the water in a few weeks.

For garage storage I was thinking two 4x4's cut to size (38" or so) with pool noodles (or something comparable) affixed to the top and the kayak laid on the gunwales with pedal system removed.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Hobie pulled a real boner with the tracks on its Passport models; they made the track slots so narrow it doesn't fit their stuff or any of the YakAttack track mounted gear unless you grind off the threads on the base of the T-bolts.

I'm a bit worried (as are their dealers) about Hobie. Hobie was recently purchased by a large private equity group (that has specialized in industrial equipment auction) with no experience in the outdoor recreation industry...and if there's one thing I know about the private equity boys is that they expect high rate of return on investment. The timing of the sale is particularly concerning, since it coincides with the end of Hobie's Mirage Drive patents.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Hobie pulled a real boner with the tracks on its Passport models; they made the track slots so narrow it doesn't fit their stuff or any of the YakAttack track mounted gear unless you grind off the threads on the base of the T-bolts.

I'm a bit worried (as are their dealers) about Hobie. Hobie was recently purchased by a large private equity group (that has specialized in industrial equipment auction) with no experience in the outdoor recreation industry...and if there's one thing I know about the private equity boys is that they expect high rate of return on investment. The timing of the sale is particularly concerning, since it coincides with the end of Hobie's Mirage Drive patents.
Awesome 🙁

krusty

Forum Supporter
Not to worry! Maybe the acquisition will further improve the Hobie lineup! Isn't that what most acquisitions and mergers do?

At the very least you'll still have a fine SOT fishing kayak to paddle (albeit one that's rather heavy and with an outrageously large scupper hole)!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Not to worry! Maybe the acquisition will further improve the Hobie lineup! Isn't that what most acquisitions and mergers do?

At the very least you'll still have a fine SOT fishing kayak to paddle (albeit one that's rather heavy and with an outrageously large scupper hole)!
Yeah...seriously considering buying a spare mirage drive!

cody-

Steelhead
I just placed an order for a Feelfree Lure II with the overdrive system, so it's a tandem but with a single pedal drive only for the back seat. The tandem Hobies were a bit over my budget and I didn't really see the need for two pedal drives. I also considered other tandems with a trolling motor, but the gf preferred a pedal drive so she could exercise while I fish off the front. Obviously this won't for everyone but it's exactly what we wanted. I'll post an update after it arrives and we get it on the water in a few weeks.

For garage storage I was thinking two 4x4's cut to size (38" or so) with pool noodles (or something comparable) affixed to the top and the kayak laid on the gunwales with pedal system removed.
This damn thing has been in my garage for no more than six hours and I already regret not going with a Hobie. Missing one little bolt for mounting the rear seat and their website won't let me place an order because it's outside of the range they ship whole-ass kayaks to... One damn weird shaped bolt that would fit in a standard letter envelope. Because why not have a blanket shipping rule when you could spend 15 more minutes to carve out an exception for small parts on the back-end of the ordering system??

On top of that, even it I had that part, the seats require a bushing, bolt, and bore washer to install but the welding is so sloppy with excess preventing the bushing from going in that I'm going to have to hit Harbor Freight for a metal file to get the bushing in. $2800 dropped on this thing and they can't do the most basic QA on the only welded part...

Maybe they'll get back to my inquiry later in the business week, but with my experience so far, I'm fully prepared to send the replacement parts to family back east and have them forward it along.

Just buy a Hobie, people.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
This damn thing has been in my garage for no more than six hours and I already regret not going with a Hobie. Missing one little bolt for mounting the rear seat and their website won't let me place an order because it's outside of the range they ship whole-ass kayaks to... One damn weird shaped bolt that would fit in a standard letter envelope. Because why not have a blanket shipping rule when you could spend 15 more minutes to carve out an exception for small parts on the back-end of the ordering system??

On top of that, even it I had that part, the seats require a bushing, bolt, and bore washer to install but the welding is so sloppy with excess preventing the bushing from going in that I'm going to have to hit Harbor Freight for a metal file to get the bushing in. $2800 dropped on this thing and they can't do the most basic QA on the only welded part...

Maybe they'll get back to my inquiry later in the business week, but with my experience so far, I'm fully prepared to send the replacement parts to family back east and have them forward it along.

Just buy a Hobie, people.
Sorry to hear about this, despite the fact you disparaged mathematicians in a previous post.

cody-

Steelhead
Sorry to hear about this, despite the fact you disparaged mathematicians in a previous post.
I disparage a lot of things. Today it's the welders at Feelfree's factory in Taiwan. I can't remember, was it mathematicians or statisticians specifically that day?

We've taken away the back for adjustability of the front seat with the poor welding so it's in a fixed position and my five foot flat pilot can pedal me around with the adjustable seat where it need to be. My mom in TN is ordering the other parts for me, so it'll work as intended, eventually. Just a little frustrating needing to take a metal file to remove over 1/8" of excess material for something straight out of the box. We'll be on the water tomorrow morning though.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
It was mathematicians, otherwise it would not have stung. Professionally a carpenter, the math thing was half my lifetime ago, all is forgiven.