The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

Chadk

Life of the Party
I suppose you could, but I don't stand up in any of my kayaks...don't need to. I can cast at least 180 degrees sitting down, and standing up just makes you act like a sail in wind.
Need is a strong word. But between pedaling instead of paddling and being able to stand and move about - been a game changer for my kayak fishing. I like to stand and use the paddle as a push pole to just inch along the weed beds and lilly pads and sight fish or work the thick cover for bass. Or if anchored, standing to just stretch and cast to rising trout 360 degrees is so nice. With my oldest kayak, I could barely get out of after more than 2 hours - seated so low on the floor. My next one had a seat that was much higher. Very nice. Could stand to stretch for a second or reach something, but not really stand to fish. But the pedal drive OT is just a fishing machine and does everything from puget sound, banks lake, to my local bass ponds and trout spots. Plan to float the Skykomish in the summer.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Really liking this thread and is on topic for me as I'm interested in getting a kayak. Does anyone have any experience with a powered one like Old Town Sportsman Autopilot? Seems like it would be a great option for fishing around the sound.

I haven't used that one, but know guys who love them. But they are pricey! My main concern is that there is more that can go wrong. I like the idea of mechanical pedaling - fewer wires, no batteries, chargers, etc. Easy to fix and get parts for. That said, I do I have a feelfree lure10 with a motor custom mounted to the back with foot pedal steering. Works really well.

1646351768860.png
1646351809611.png
1646351851545.png

1646351986422.png

Attachments

• 1646351955004.png
    1646351955004.png
    562 KB · Views: 4

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I haven't used that one, but know guys who love them. But they are pricey! My main concern is that there is more that can go wrong. I like the idea of mechanical pedaling - fewer wires, no batteries, chargers, etc. Easy to fix and get parts for. That said, I do I have a feelfree lure10 with a motor custom mounted to the back with foot pedal steering. Works really well.

View attachment 7478
View attachment 7479
View attachment 7480

View attachment 7482
I'd say you're rigged for bear! Nice set-up!

krusty

Forum Supporter
Need is a strong word. But between pedaling instead of paddling and being able to stand and move about - been a game changer for my kayak fishing. I like to stand and use the paddle as a push pole to just inch along the weed beds and lilly pads and sight fish or work the thick cover for bass. Or if anchored, standing to just stretch and cast to rising trout 360 degrees is so nice. With my oldest kayak, I could barely get out of after more than 2 hours - seated so low on the floor. My next one had a seat that was much higher. Very nice. Could stand to stretch for a second or reach something, but not really stand to fish. But the pedal drive OT is just a fishing machine and does everything from puget sound, banks lake, to my local bass ponds and trout spots. Plan to float the Skykomish in the summer.
The NE Washington mountain lakes I fish (for trout) really aren't suited for poling; even when there's extensive cover the water is often quite deep and clear among the lilypads. I think I'd actually spook more fish if I was standing up attempting to sight-fish, and much of the time I'm working a margin or a depth where I know they're cruising (depthfinder!) and if they're surface feeding that's an obvious area to work with surface flies. I'd estimate 90% or more of my fishing doesn't involve surface fishing. For that environment I think there's nothing more stealthy than a windrifting kayak with not much of a surface profile because I'm sitting down.

I would no doubt change my tune if I wasn't comfortable for hours in every one of my kayaks (which have a wide variety of seat heights) and were experiencing discomfort climbing out of the cockpit.

Key for me is not swelling too much beer afloat because I end up spending too much time traveling back to a shore I can actually get to solid ground (usually the launch point because these lakes are often completely surrounded by impenetrable bogs) to water the lakeside foliage.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have to say that I really like the IDEA of standing to fish. But I often wonder if it would make a significant difference in the places I fish.

I can stand up in my nucanoe flint but rarely do it. The primary stability just isnt' very high. Secondary is, but it makes things a bit wobbly for setting hooks, etc.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I can and do stand and cast in my canoe at times, for visibility and to cast further. It also feels good to stretch periodically. If I hook a fish of any size I go to my knees pretty quickly for the playing and landing.

stupidbike

Freshly Spawned
Thanks for the feedback, that looks like a great rig. Definitely pricey, but less than and easier to store than a full on boat. Yes more to possibly go wrong but the motor with spot lock is really appealing for the sound. Why not have technology work for you and allow for more time with the fly in the water is my thinking.

I fish from a Native Slayer Propel 13 and it is perfectly stable for standing and fishing. Alas, at age 71 I am not. What I have found useful when I am anchored up and fishing chiros is to pull up the prop and use it as a brace. It gives me a chance to change positions and there is better visibility. Also, I don't worry so much about fouling my fly line in the prop when itis hanging down. . Two years ago,I bought some 2 inch risers for the seat and they work well. The kayak does not seem any less stable, the sitting and pedaling position are more comfortable, but most surprisingly it is much easier to exit the kayak. I guess that is why we upgraded to Kohler comfort height toilets a few years ago.
When I am anchored, I am using a 5 pound dumbell anchor connected with an anchor trolley. This has worked okay but the real game changer was buying an anchor wizard, so much more convenient than dealing with 20-30 feet of loose anchor line.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I'm 6'2" with a long torso and fish 10' flyrods. So I guess sitting down in the kayak I'm the equivalent of a 'little person' standing up casting...albeit it one of very limited flyfishing skill.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Chad, What's that thing in the front that looks like a man hole cover ? Is it a live well?

Chadk

Life of the Party
I fish from a Native Slayer Propel 13 and it is perfectly stable for standing and fishing. Alas, at age 71 I am not. What I have found useful when I am anchored up and fishing chiros is to pull up the prop and use it as a brace. It gives me a chance to change positions and there is better visibility. Also, I don't worry so much about fouling my fly line in the prop when itis hanging down. . Two years ago,I bought some 2 inch risers for the seat and they work well. The kayak does not seem any less stable, the sitting and pedaling position are more comfortable, but most surprisingly it is much easier to exit the kayak. I guess that is why we upgraded to Kohler comfort height toilets a few years ago.
When I am anchored, I am using a 5 pound dumbell anchor connected with an anchor trolley. This has worked okay but the real game changer was buying an anchor wizard, so much more convenient than dealing with 20-30 feet of loose anchor line.
Yes, love the anchor wizard. Have yet to use the trolley - but i'm sure I'll get some use out of it this year. You can use the trolley and wizard together to adjust front and rear anchoring. But I'm thinking of using the wizard up front, then a second one on the trolly to the back - two anchors to help keep from being swung around so much in shifting wind.

I'm probably selling my feelfree kayak - will miss that anchor wizard. Will probably end up buying one for my OT.

Yes, I am using the YakAttack version of the anchor trolley with the Anchor wizard. I am using just the low profile Anchor wizard mounted on the track to the right of my seat. The anchor line runs through a Harken pully and then into the wizard. I have thought about an accessory anchor because of wind shift but so far the single anchor has worked well enough.

Tobe Hagge

Just Hatched
Yup! Totally agree.

It's a feeling thing. Trolling forwards with the rod bent under water tension just doesn't feel like fly fishing to me - it feels the same as trolling gear. I'm not saying it's not effective, just that it tends to be more of a fish hooking themselves feeling. Nothing wrong with that, and I actually do often carry a spinning rod to fish deep or while in forward travel mode. I'm not gonna complain if a fish hooks itself! 😁

Like @Chadk said - it's all about options!
I like to troll backwards as well.

I have a Lynx. Peddling forward is hands-free; only occasional tweaks to the rudder in order to track straight. Trolling backwards, I need to keep a hand on the rudder control to keep the boat tracking straight if I am moving at any speed. Is it the same on the Compasss and PA?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I like to troll backwards as well.

I have a Lynx. Peddling forward is hands-free; only occasional tweaks to the rudder in order to track straight. Trolling backwards, I need to keep a hand on the rudder control to keep the boat tracking straight if I am moving at any speed. Is it the same on the Compasss and PA?
Yes, at least for my Compass. I assume it's that water is hitting the back, non-hinge edge of the rudder (which is leading the boat when in reverse) and knocking it to the side. Not sure there's any remedy for that.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Chad, What's that thing in the front that looks like a man hole cover ? Is it a live well?
It is an access hatch. You can store extra gear in there and keep it dry. Or, if needed, you can use it to access the inside of the hull for adding accessories, wiring, etc.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Just purchased a Hobie Passport 12' with my REI dividend. Intro level Hobie. My first pedal kayak among a fleet of conventionally propelled kayaks. Don't know if I'll equip it for fishing. Interested in finding out how well this thing works, if the local lake ice ever melts!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Interesting experience the other day. Overnight temps had dropped into the 20s, and it was 27F when I launched my Compass...whereupon I discovered my rudder controls were frozen solid!
Steering was stuck just slightly to the right, so once I got myself in the right direction with the paddle, I just went in a slow, big circle until it thawed out about 10 minutes in :LOL:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Interesting experience the other day. Overnight temps had dropped into the 20s, and it was 27F when I launched my Compass...whereupon I discovered my rudder controls were frozen solid!
Steering was stuck just slightly to the right, so once I got myself in the right direction with the paddle, I just went in a slow, big circle until it thawed out about 10 minutes in :LOL:
Hood Canal or fresh?