The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I am considering another fishing kayak. At present i have a fishing kayak i really like, but it doesn’t have a pedal/drive system.

Question - anyone on here using a pedal kayak of some variety? For anyone using Hobie kayaks, i am curious to hear about the mirage 180 system. It look as if you need to pull on a little ripcord to change the drive direction back/forward. Is that right, and if so, is that a real pain in the butt when you are trying to hold position somewhere and just work back and forth constantly?

My next question for the pedal kayak users - are there some models that let you control the rudder with your right hand? Default on most seems to be LH controls. That is OK, but as a lefty was hoping for a RH rudder control version so i could cast with left while steering with right.

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
Forum Supporter
Howdy!
I own a Hobie Revo 13 and have experience with a pedal/propeller drive kayaks like Native.
1. You are correct, the 180 drive has an awkward forward/reverse mechanism.
If I need it in tight quarters, I always bring out the paddle to fine tune my movements.
I have also owned a Native Slayer, a bicycle pedal and crank arm set up with a propeller.
This was perfect for the above mentioned mobility in tight quarters. Pedal forward or pedal backward to choose your direction
Propeller drives preferred craft for lakes and tight manouvring, albeit noisy and heavy
Hobie's are better big water kayaks, quiet and fast.

2. Regarding the left hand rudder, you're not constantly holding the rudder unless you're fishing in tight quarters or matching a cross breeze or current.
There are many brands and ideas out there, do your homework and demo as many as you can.
Completely a personal thing, try out both styles to fine tune you're perfect style.
Cheers,
Dave!

Last edited:

Big K1

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I picked up an Oldtown Sportsman PDL recently. I have not put it in the water yet.
Unlike the Hobie drives it has a prop so there is instant reverse which was a big plus for me.
Mainly got it for bass fishing. It is wide and should be very stable. Hauling it in the back of my truck.

-Kevin

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I got a Hobie Passport 12 recently. I love it.

So far I've only had it out in saltwater crabbing and fly fishing. I haven't put it on any lakes and tried to stand and cast, I've only been sitting and casting a heavy shooting head. I'm probably going to get one of those "H bars" that you can stand and lean against.

The 180 drive system is pretty sweet, and not complicated to use. There are two cables, forward and reverse, you just yank the one you want and viola.

If I'm going to use it to stand and cast on lakes, I'm going to bring a towel or something to put over the pedal drive and directional cables. Tangle city.

I'm a lefty as well. I know some of the higher up model have both left and right hand steering, but they were out of my budget range. As someone who casts left handed, I haven't found the left hand steering to be an issue at all. I haven't been in a situation yet where I need to steer and cast and pedal at the same time.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the purchase

E115B214-2305-47C3-AC77-EC47A6073CC6.jpeg5D92DFB0-5BBB-4B78-B550-EB54F136FCEE.jpeg53DC1E5E-5303-49EA-BE3D-AEA672E602B2.jpeg

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
@Northern will provide some great advice once she gathers her thoughts after catching all those fish from her kayak...
Sorry - missed that last night!

Yes, I've had a Hobie Compass for about a year now, and love it. I fished from a paddle yak for many years, and the pedal drive is a complete game changer, particularly if you prefer to fish on the move. (I don't even have an anchor for it.) It's all about the strike for me, so I much, much prefer to have rod in hand while trolling. Also, the ability to pedal the boat backwards while playing a big fish is really nice!
You're correct on how the mirage drive works, with the two pull shifts. It's a bit awkward at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly, and they work smoothly. It would be nice if you could just backpedal like with the prop drives, but for my purposes the advantages of the Mirage drive won out. The MD180 has kick-up, meaning if the fins hit anything while you're going forward, they'll just harmlessly fold back. Also, moving the pedals to one extreme (i.e. one back, one forward) places the fins flat up against the hull, making it easy to cruise thru shallow spots or weeds, or even pull ashore, without having to pull the whole drive up.

The Compass does only have the left rudder control, but I believe the Outback and PA's have both sides.
There are times that would be handy, for sure. I mostly chose the Compass because of the less cluttered deck. I don't really need more than 1 or 2 attachments, and the less stuff to snag a fly line on, the better.
Feel free to ask any other Qs about the Hobie :)

Kado

Steelhead
I'll use a flexible stripping basket (it's some sort of flexible rubber) when I stand on my Compass. I only do this on very calm water on lakes or on the sound going after SRC's. I don't believe I necessarily fish better standing, it's just cool to be able to see the fish going after the fly. I also tied a rope onto the forward handle so I can more smoothly pull myself up and sit myself down. When I stand though.....I am fully prepared to possibly go for a swim. Out on the sound I wear a drysuit and fishing pfd....always...no matter the weather. I don't use the H bar attachment as it just felt awkward to me. Marine radio, cutaway knife, and a bear horn and small flare to warn boats if need be. We are invisible out there, even with those flags. Busy lakes like Mayfield and Sekiu at the peak of coho season always have me on edge. I've got a bright orange hat. Also a piss container (my dry suit has a relief zipper). I recommend to never wear waders...you may not drown if falling in, but it will be impossible to pull yourself back onto your kayak. I fish alone, so I must be self sufficient.
Every now and then I'll be untangling a knot or tying on a new fly and the fly line will drift under the kayak and get tangled on the fins.....carefully release the pedals and you can untangle it or the fly line usually simply slips off and continues drifting under the kayak. A fly rod holder is a must and I also have a mounted fish finder...although I have to get another one.

I often troll in reverse on lakes. I'm thinking of getting a small mirror so I can see behind me.

Every fish is a blast in a kayak as you must control your balance. The bigger guys....chum for me...are a blast as they'll take you for a 'sleigh ride'. You can get away with lighter leader as they don't break off as easy.

BTW....the rudder is REALLY tough. I drug my kayak up about a hundred feet of crushed oyster shells and gravel beach before I realized I had forgotten to pull it up. It's a little chewed around the edges but still works great.
Mark

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I own a Native pedal drive kayak. And I liked it until I fished out of a Hobie with the 180 drive system up in AK last year. Hands down, if you can afford the Hobie, do it.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I have 2 Wilderness system SOT. They make a pedal attachment that goes where the rudder goes. Been tempted to buy it.

I have owned a Slayer Propel 13 for maybe 5-6 years and use it for lakes. It has been stable, reasonably fast, and having an immediate reverse is pretty important, can't imagine screwing around pulling a cord to get into reverse. I understand the Hobie Mirage system is faster than a pedal system, never really needed extra speed except for the end of the day when I am at the wrong end of Coldwater Lake. I have made some improvements which should have been part of the original design but weren't. Better rudder, better rudder control, also added the wheels for launching. The newer Slayer model has been improved to correct some of the original design flaws.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have owned a Slayer Propel 13 for maybe 5-6 years and use it for lakes. It has been stable, reasonably fast, and having an immediate reverse is pretty important, can't imagine screwing around pulling a cord to get into reverse. I understand the Hobie Mirage system is faster than a pedal system, never really needed extra speed except for the end of the day when I am at the wrong end of Coldwater Lake. I have made some improvements which should have been part of the original design but weren't. Better rudder, better rudder control, also added the wheels for launching. The newer Slayer model has been improved to correct some of the original design flaws.
I also own this Native yak, and was the one I was referring to in the previous post. Yeah, instant reverse is nice, but the propellor design of the pedal system leads to fouling of the drive shaft in weedy environments encountered later in the year, plus that yak is fairly heavy. I can get it on top of the jeep by myself, but it's a chore. For the same weight, and having fished both of them, I didn't find the Hobie pull to reverse system difficult at all, nor does it foul up with weeds if that's where you find yourself.

There is not a fishing kayak around that I can cartop, anything over about 50 pounds is just too much lifting. I store and transport my Native on a trailer. I use the Sidekick wheels for launching, pretty easy. I just park at the launch area, click in all my personal gear, pull the kayak off the trailer with wheels down, and pull it into the water, remove the wheels, and good to go. I get some weed fouling, maybe a couple of times a season, probably have grabbed my fly line with the prop a couple of times over the past five years. Easy enough to pull up the prop and clear it. Certainly, worth trying out both styles and seeing which one works for you. When I bought my original Native, Hobie did not have a reversible Mirage system and that was a deal breaker.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
You might also consider which kind of pedaling you find more comfortable.

The prop type drives are rotational bike style pedaling, while the mirage drive is a stepper type motion.
I personally like that I can have my feet at an even, neutral position on the Hobie pedals when at rest, whereas bike pedals will always be offset.
If you're a cyclist, tho, you might be more comfy with the bike style.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I have 3 kayaks.

Started with an older wilderness tarpon 120 with rudder and foot steering. Light, fast, easy to paddle, but VERY unstable. Gotta keep it low to the water or you'll dump. Can't even use a seat cushion higher than an inch. Hard to get in and especially out of after a long day. Fishing while paddling is tricky, but I troll just fine with it. Not great for fly fishing as you are sitting so close to the water -but I've done it.

Then I got a used FeelFree Lure 10. Shorter and was supposed to be much more stable. While I could sit high and very comfortable with an adjustable seat, I could only stand for a few seconds. Initial stability wasn't great and never felt safe. But it had a nice anchor wizard and custom integrated trolling motor. It is an amazing fishing machine for small to large lakes where wind and waves aren't expected. Hands free fishing is great.

And finally, I got a new OT 120 PDL. Complete game changer. Best warranty in the market on drive and hull. I can stand and cast all day. Move around, turn around, etc. In the weedy shallows, I like to pull up the drive and just push pull along with my paddle or actual pole. It is fast and efficient. I can peddle all day and not be worn out (assuming I'm not going miles into the wind or current). Everyone loves using this one - though I usually get dibs on it unless my wife comes along - then it's her choice.

I don't understand why anyone would ever troll backwards with these newer fishing kayaks. Maybe a sit-in that is shorter and no forward mounting rod holders. But most fishing kayaks now have forward and rear rod holders or at least the ability to easily add them. They are fun to customize. Kinda the jeep of the small boating world. Customizations are endless. In all of mine, I have forward rod holders that I can easily reach and adjust. I keep the rod tip low - just above the water and have them at 90 degrees or sometimes a little forward facing to accommodate the bend and allow me to still see strikes easily. The rear rod holders are there strictly for holding any extra rods. I like to keep them pointing back at a 45-degree angle to avoid as many tangles as possible with the casting and low hanging branches. Also, better that way if you ever dump the kayak.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
And finally, I got a new OT 120 PDL. Complete game changer. Best warranty in the market on drive and hull. I can stand and cast all day. Move around, turn around, etc.
How is it standing with the pedal drive sitting there? Do you feel like you are going to trip over it?

Chadk

Life of the Party
How is it standing with the pedal drive sitting there? Do you feel like you are going to trip over it?

hasn't been an issue. You can literally walk from tip of bow to the stern. But I would only do that in the summer just messing around. While fishing, I stay in the center, but have no problem fishing 360 degrees.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I don't understand why anyone would ever troll backwards with these newer fishing kayaks. Maybe a sit-in that is shorter and no forward mounting rod holders. But most fishing kayaks now have forward and rear rod holders or at least the ability to easily add them
Because I don't use rod holders...ever. I'm going backwards probably 80% of the time I'm fishing.

By far, the best part of fishing (fly or spin) to me is feeling or seeing the take. I need to have an active role in the hookup.
Going backwards with rod in hand, I can react to a bump, maybe get it to hit again - something I have less success doing when dragging a line behind me, and no chance doing with the rod in a holder. I will also usually be imparting some action to the fly while cruising backwards. It's more like power assisted stripping than trolling.
I simply don't get the same jolt of excitement watching a holstered rod bounce, or an unattended bobber go down. YMMV.

This is just a response to the bolded sentence above; to each his own, of course!
I'm not trolling/bobber-shaming at all - very fishing-positive and supportive of all legal and consensual fishing preferences :cool:

Chadk

Life of the Party
Because I don't use rod holders...ever. I'm going backwards probably 80% of the time I'm fishing.

By far, the best part of fishing (fly or spin) to me is feeling or seeing the take. I need to have an active role in the hookup.
Going backwards with rod in hand, I can react to a bump, maybe get it to hit again - something I have less success doing when dragging a line behind me, and no chance doing with the rod in a holder. I will also usually be imparting some action to the fly while cruising backwards. It's more like power assisted stripping than trolling.
I simply don't get the same jolt of excitement watching a holstered rod bounce, or an unattended bobber go down. YMMV.

This is just a response to the bolded sentence above; to each his own, of course!
I'm not trolling/bobber-shaming at all - very fishing-positive and supportive of all legal and consensual fishing preferences :cool:
I see. I have heard that from folks so often when they picture kayak fishing, they say "but I just don't want to have to fish backwards" and I always wonder why they think that is the only way. I see like 1 out of 100 guys fishing backwards.

As for wanting to feel it, I don't always use my rod holders. Especially whey fly fishing. that's the nice thing about the pedal and trolling motor options. Hands free to hold the rod and see and feel the take, impart action, etc. Still wouldn't do it backwards though - but just a preference thing I guess.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I see. I have heard that from folks so often when they picture kayak fishing, they say "but I just don't want to have to fish backwards" and I always wonder why they think that is the only way. I see like 1 out of 100 guys fishing backwards.

As for wanting to feel it, I don't always use my rod holders. Especially whey fly fishing. that's the nice thing about the pedal and trolling motor options. Hands free to hold the rod and see and feel the take, impart action, etc. Still wouldn't do it backwards though - but just a preference thing I guess.
Well, it's pretty much how everyone in a toon or tube is fishing, isn't it?