NFR Official Summer Concerts thread!

Non-fishing related

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Is there anything more summer than July in SW Montana with Kenny Chesney playing Saturday night at Bobcat Stadium?

Yeah, man, that’s the good stuff.

(See what I did there?)

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Yes, i can think of way cooler. LOL

Melissa Etheridge and Indigo Girls are not really my thing.

But hey, you do you.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
Outdoor concert season is one of our favorite seasons. We too purchased KC in Bozeman tickets a few years back and at the same time we purchased Eric Church tickets for the following weekend at Pendleton Whisky Fest. After years of separation anxiety from their fans, the shows were rescheduled in ‘22 on the same date. Bummed to have not made it Bozeman this weekend however we sold our KC tickets and rolled the rig to Pendleton. ACFFA5A7-62BB-482D-A173-291BDE1CFCB9.jpeg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Going to be at that venue for Bonnie Raitt and Mavis Staples in August.
Should be good, and warm. Bring your short chair, and a blanket, lots of folks brought chairs too tall.
Outdoor concert season is one of our favorite seasons. We too purchased KC in Bozeman tickets a few years back and at the same time we purchased Eric Church tickets for the following weekend at Pendleton Whisky Fest. After years of separation anxiety from their fans, the shows were rescheduled in ‘22 on the same date. Bummed to have not made it Bozeman this weekend however we sold our KC tickets and rolled the rig to Pendleton. View attachment 22174
We dog sat for some friends who went, heard it was good.

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
We dog sat for some friends who went, heard it was good.
It was our first time to Pendleton, the venue and event staff were phenomenal. We may or may not have a bit of an obsession with EFC around this house so expectations are always high. The Chief “showed up without Joanna Cotten, never introduced the band, left without saying goodnight, no encore and looked like a man who had gone from sexy stuble to unshaven and depressed” per my wife. Good is a fair rating.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I recently did the exact opposite (this was a few weeks ago on Fathers Day).
There's a classical pianist that plays concerts outside in beautiful places (Think Silver Falls, Alvord Desert, Wallowa Lake, Ft Rock, on top of Mt Bachelor).
You get a set of headphones that work on bluetooth for over a quarter mile and you can wander or just stare at the sky.
The scenery makes up for the loss of fidelity (the quality of the headphones are actually quite good).
I can't express enough how cool this was. He tours all over Oregon, Idaho, CA and I think even into MT.

If you have the chance GO!

I saw him at Cottonwood Canyon on the John Day. You can actually fish while listening (I didn't because it was running at 5k CFS when the median for that day was normally ~1k).

(my kid in the brown overalls ripping around).
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 7.26.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-21 at 7.27.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-21 at 7.27.13 AM.png

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
I recently did the exact opposite (this was a few weeks ago on Fathers Day).
There's a classical pianist that plays concerts outside in beautiful places (Think Silver Falls, Alvord Desert, Wallowa Lake, Ft Rock, on top of Mt Bachelor).
You get a set of headphones that work on bluetooth for over a quarter mile and you can wander or just stare at the sky.
The scenery makes up for the loss of fidelity (the quality of the headphones are actually quite good).
I can't express enough how cool this was. He tours all over Oregon, Idaho, CA and I think even into MT.

If you have the chance GO!

I saw him at Cottonwood Canyon on the John Day. You can actually fish while listening (I didn't because it was running at 5k CFS when the median for that day was normally ~1k).

(my kid in the brown overalls ripping around).
This looks phenomenal and what an awesome experience for the whole family. You now have me searching and planning for our chance to go, thank you!

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Melissa Etheridge and Indigo Girls are not really my thing.

But hey, you do you.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif
Thats it? Cmon brother you have better comebacks than that! I guess I should just Ante up for my broke back buds in MT. My daughter and I loved this show.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wife just informed me she got us tickets for Ryan Bingham next Saturday at the Old Saloon in Emigrant (Paradise Valley.)
Bring your own chairs. You know there ain't much seating there. Does sound like fun, and I ain't even a country music aficionado.

BTW, how do those new boots fit? And do they go well with the fashion shorts?

The wife and I have tix to see Rise Against and Senses Fail this Friday in Spokane. Its been far too long since I've got in the pit to do some moshing.

Senses Fail were the first hardcore band I ever saw...I remember my first time seeing them in 2010, driving down to Portland as a 10th grader to see them with my uncle. I will always remember the singer getting off the stage during the middle of a song to literally throw someone out of the show who was going too hard in the pit. Moshing gets intense but this guy was going to hurt someone and so he decided to do something about it.

If I get to talk to him at the show I'm going to ask him if he remembers that.

I'm a very calm person, but there's something so cathartic about getting in the pit and trading elbows with strangers.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
^^^^ never heard 'em but will check it out.

Just bought tickets to Futurebirds next month over in Paradise Valley. Got to hang out with these guys in Billings around 10 years ago. Fun little band out of Athens, GA. There will be no mosh pit, just a few sing alongs.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
The wife and I have tix to see Rise Against and Senses Fail this Friday in Spokane. Its been far too long since I've got in the pit to do some moshing.

Senses Fail were the first hardcore band I ever saw...I remember my first time seeing them in 2010, driving down to Portland as a 10th grader to see them with my uncle. I will always remember the singer getting off the stage during the middle of a song to literally throw someone out of the show who was going too hard in the pit. Moshing gets intense but this guy was going to hurt someone and so he decided to do something about it.

I'm a very calm person, but there's something so cathartic about getting in the pit and trading elbows with strangers.
Static-X at the Roseland, circa 2005 or 06, a friend twisted his ankle pretty bad and the other lost a shoe, so we were on either side. One supporting each shoulder tripoding our way through downtown Portland trying to get back to the car. A police officer was nice and gave us a ride, so we got to sit in the backseat :cool: first more intimate smaller venue show with a pit, I had been to Metallica at arena shows before that.

Last edited:
^^^^ never heard 'em but will check it out.

Just bought tickets to Futurebirds next month over in Paradise Valley. Got to hang out with these guys in Billings around 10 years ago. Fun little band out of Athens, GA. There will be no mosh pit, just a few sing alongs.

Love the familiarity with smaller bands. A lot of the bands I love end up at the same venues with the same attendees every year...to the point where they start recognizing you. It's pretty special to be able to have conversations with people who create art that moves you. I like a lot of mainstream music too, but by the time bands start playing at venues with over a few-hundred people it just loses that intimacy and the sound quality usually takes a dive. I don't get to many arena or amphitheater shows for that reason.

Static-X at the Roseland, circa 2005 or 06, a friend twisted his ankle pretty bad and the other lost a shoe, so we were on either side. One supporting each shoulder tripoding our way through downtown Portland trying to get back to the car. A police officer was nice and gave us a ride, so we got to sit in the backseat :cool: first more intimate smaller venue show with a pit, I had been to Metallica at arena shows before that.
It can get wild in there for sure. Glad you guys were able to get a ride...one of the few times being in the backseat of a cop car doesn't suck :p

Chris Bellows

Steelhead

It's also a bonus when the pit starts right in front of where you're standing. Opens up the view to the stage. You pay by getting bumped into from time to time but made a concert in NYC about two weeks before Covid shut down the city even better.