Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone tried this line off the beach?
Very similar profile to the Sonar Titan I/2/3.
35.5’ head versus 33.5’ on the 1/2/3 and both are 210 gr.
Will probably order the I/3 version since I need a new line after my OBS puked out after three months of use.
SF

I fished this line for the first time yesterday.
I’m far from a great caster, but it fished fine. Not as easy to cast as the Sonar Titan full intermediate with this having the type three head. Only a couple tangles which was nice.
At first, the intermediate running line wasn’t sinking well. It was floating in fact when I first started fishing. It started sinking better over the course of the day. I think whatever coating SA puts on there needs to get worn off a bit before things start to sink properly.
I’ll see how this line holds up through summer. It can’t be any worse than the OBS.
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I fished this line for the first time yesterday.
I’m far from a great caster, but it fished fine. Not as easy to cast as the Sonar Titan full intermediate with this having the type three head. Only a couple tangles which was nice.
At first, the intermediate running line wasn’t sinking well. It was floating in fact when I first started fishing. It started sinking better over the course of the day. I think whatever coating SA puts on there needs to get worn off a bit before things start to sink properly.
I’ll see how this line holds up through summer. It can’t be any worse than the OBS.
SF
So I was mistaken, I have the SA sonar stillwater seamless density as 5wt S1/S3. The 8wt is SA Sonar Titan Int/S3/S5. I like them both but the skinnier 5wt does seem to tangle more, maybe it was colder condition I was fishing it with compared to 8wt warmer bass fishing.
I do like casting the sonar titan a little more, didn't notice the intermediate section not sinking well.

PXL_20230710_191926571.jpg

The back up I have for 7wt is sonar Titan triple density Int/S2/S3. I think @jasmillo have fished with this line and didn't like the sound it made stripping in. I might spool it up to try this season.
PXL_20230710_191938586.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I love how that triple density Sonar Titan casts and fishes but I agree the slight texturing makes a rather irrating noise when it goes through the guides

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I love how that triple density Sonar Titan casts and fishes but I agree the slight texturing makes a rather irrating noise when it goes through the guides
My 8wt sonar titan does make that sound but I didn't find it to be that loud, guess I'm OK with it :)

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
My 8wt sonar titan does make that sound but I didn't find it to be that loud, guess I'm OK with it :)

Definitely not a deal breaker for me. And it's not as bad as some of the textured lines I've tried in the past. But I do find it quite annoying lol

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
So I was mistaken, I have the SA sonar stillwater seamless density as 5wt S1/S3. The 8wt is SA Sonar Titan Int/S3/S5. I like them both but the skinnier 5wt does seem to tangle more, maybe it was colder condition I was fishing it with compared to 8wt warmer bass fishing.
I do like casting the sonar titan a little more, didn't notice the intermediate section not sinking well.

View attachment 72343

The back up I have for 7wt is sonar Titan triple density Int/S2/S3. I think @jasmillo have fished with this line and didn't like the sound it made stripping in. I might spool it up to try this season.
View attachment 72344

I had the I/2/3 and the I/3/5. Just never really found a need off the beach for the I/3/5, so I sold it. Also sold the I/2/3. Just liked the Cortland Compact better. I’m hoping the longer head will make Seamless Density more enjoyable to cast versus the short 26’ head on the Cortland.
Hopefully Airflo gets their act together and comes out with some new stuff we can use on our local beaches. I’d buy a OBS I/3 if they made it knowing it be good for about three months or long enough to get through coho season.
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I had the I/2/3 and the I/3/5. Just never really found a need off the beach for the I/3/5, so I sold it. Also sold the I/2/3. Just liked the Cortland Compact better. I’m hoping the longer head will make Seamless Density more enjoyable to cast versus the short 26’ head on the Cortland.
Hopefully Airflo gets their act together and comes out with some new stuff we can use on our local beaches. I’d buy a OBS I/3 if they made it knowing it be good for about three months or long enough to get through coho season.
SF
nice thing about the Compact is that it has a thicker "handling line" right behind the head so one can carry more line than just the head. That said, it's really perfect for that one backcast and fire....provided you're not trying to hit cast much further than 60ish feet...otherwise, it may take a couple of backcasts...lol. e.g. perfect fishing line...(I use it for muskies but also have the 240gr for all sorts of other things).

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
nice thing about the Compact is that it has a thicker "handling line" right behind the head so one can carry more line than just the head. That said, it's really perfect for that one backcast and fire....provided you're not trying to hit cast much further than 60ish feet...otherwise, it may take a couple of backcasts...lol. e.g. perfect fishing line...(I use it for muskies but also have the 240gr for all sorts of other things).

That's probably my favorite thing about the Compact. It'll fire standard 40-50+ foot casts super easy with a single stroke, but when I need to really let it rip it is a very forgiving line and can carry quite a bit of line past the head without any collapsing. Really is a fantastic line.

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
I’d buy a OBS I/3 if they made it knowing it be good for about three months or long enough to get through coho season.
SF
Totally agree. During coho season I use an OBS F/I and OBS I, off the beach. Wish I could get down just a tad deeper and quicker on some high gradient beaches.

Seems the next step in OBS is I/3/5. Might be overkill, too specialized. You guys have piqued my interest in the Cortland Compact!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
not to pile on too much with Rio, but....never mind, yes, to pile on. I bought a brand spankin' new tropical OBS int for Baja for my 9wt (actually used the 330gr and functionally it worked great). Bottom line, I probably only have 8 2-3 hours/day sessions on it. some of the running line is already cracking...it's fucking lame that they can't make a product that lasts....even just a little bit. They can have the best customer service in the world (and they do), but what does it matter if you're having to call them every few days worth of fishing their shit product?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
SF

It’d have to be made of 8/0 tying thread for it be worse durability wise than the OBS…

View attachment 72344

That line is growing on me. It was a good bass line this spring. Outside of the sound, the texture could be problematic for coho if one were to forget their tape/stripping guard. Which I do way more often than I should at this point!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Anyone tried this line off the beach?
Very similar profile to the Sonar Titan I/2/3.
35.5’ head versus 33.5’ on the 1/2/3 and both are 210 gr.
Will probably order the I/3 version since I need a new line after my OBS puked out after three months of use.
SF

I’ve fished this line on three outings now for a total of about eight hours.
I’m liking it. Not quite as easy to cast in my opinion as the Sonar Titan lines.
It sank well and I only had a few tangles. Fairly easy running line to strip in.
Probably the best part is I used it for three days and it hasn’t cracked yet. 😂
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I’ve fished this line on three outings now for a total of about eight hours.
I’m liking it. Not quite as easy to cast in my opinion as the Sonar Titan lines.
It sank well and I only had a few tangles. Fairly easy running line to strip in.
Probably the best part is I used it for three days and it hasn’t cracked yet. 😂
SF
Have you tried the heavier clousers with it Brian?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Have you tried the heavier clousers with it Brian?

Lou,
I fished a 5/32 dumbbell eye size 3” clouser with it for about 5 hours on Saturday.
That is the heaviest eyes I fish and the line worked fine for that size fly.
SF

skyrise

Steelhead
Using the older OBS for my 6 and 8 rods. They cast just ok. And the OPST commando head with short sink tips. Good for windy times. Also use a Tropical OBS I got for vacation time in the islands. That line casts better but I have to do a little stretching to keep it from coiling to much.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I do think that our style of beach fishing is about as tough of conditions a line will see. When blind casting for coho we are casting much more frequently than most fishers, our cast almost always hinge on the same section of the fly line (first section of running line after shooting head), and we are almost always casting for distance so more load than average too, plus the saltwater. So I do understand the design challenge the line manufacturers face. THAT SAID, Rio is clearly the worst durability wise and it's crazy they have not made any improvements in that regard over the last decade plus! Get is together Rio!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I put in another 15 hours or so on the SA Seamless Density line over the last three days. At least for my needs and use, I think I’ve finally found a winner after going through a number of line options.
Few tangles, shoots well even with my poor casting and no cracks yet, which is a victory in and of itself. Makes a bit of noise but nothing bothersome.
I’ll probably buy another one just to have it on hand. You never know when you might need it or they end up discontinuing it.
SF

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I picked up an older airflo 40 plus “distance” today in a 6wt with a type 3 head. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the “distance” moniker before. No box, it’s in a sealed sample bag from airflo. Anyone familiar with this line? When I google it I see “extreme distance” but not sure that this is the same line?