Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
oh no. I just bought the same line from Al's. I haven't used it yet, but that doesn't bode well.

It might just be the way I fish, but I never have this issue this quickly with other brands.
I’m not a great caster, but most of the cracking is in the running line and pretty much stops where my max cast length would end.
A few small cracks in the head, but nothing close to the running line.
I’ve never stretched it since I got it and have used it on multiple rods.
Really too bad because I like the way it fishes.
SF

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It might just be the way I fish, but I never have this issue this quickly with other brands.
I’m not a great caster, but most of the cracking is in the running line and pretty much stops where my max cast length would end.
A few small cracks in the head, but nothing close to the running line.
I’ve never stretched it since I got it and have used it on multiple rods.
Really too bad because I like the way it fishes.
SF
They should just make you the test angler at this point.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Well, I had high hopes for the OBS “ Premier“. It was shipped to me on 3/10/23.
Oh well, back to the drawing board. 😂
SF

View attachment 62809
That's just awful. I recently bought a Cortland Compact Intermediate (26' I head). I haven't gotten hours on the line you get, Brian, but I've fished it four times now and really like the line (WF6/7 on my Echo Ion XL 690).

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
You think it might be fatigue cracking from double hauling?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
You think it might be fatigue cracking from double hauling?

I’m not sure. I always do a roll cast to get the head out then water haul into the first back cast. I wouldn’t think that would do it but who knows?
To be honest, as a self taught caster my double haul isn’t that good, so it shouldn’t be causing any line issues. 😂
The line probably has 12-14 salt trips on it in the last six weeks. I have some Airflo and SA lines with a lot more time on them without having this issues.
SF

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
It shouldn't matter how good or bad the caster is, there's just no excuse for a brand new line breaking down like this after such a short time. I was just trying to figure out what might be going on inside the line to cause it. Like Jake pointed out, a beach line that can't withstand double hauling isn't much of a beach line.

Are you going to contact Rio / Far Bank and see if they'll replace it?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
It shouldn't matter how good or bad the caster is, there's just no excuse for a brand new line breaking down like this after such a short time. I was just trying to figure out what might be going on inside the line to cause it. Like Jake pointed out, a beach line that can't withstand double hauling isn't much of a beach line.

Are you going to contact Rio / Far Bank and see if they'll replace it?

Yes, I’ll contact Far Bank. I’ll keep fishing it until the coating peels off which is inevitable. Then I’ll send it back.
Others have had luck with this line lasting, so maybe I just got a dud.
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Geez that is friggen ridiculous. It's flat out embarrassing that Rio can't figure out how to make a line that lasts in our saltwaters. Other manufacturers seem to be able to make a line that lasts, so it's definitely not impossible. I wish they could get this shit figured out, I really like how some of their lines cast/fish.

This winter I fished some new lines. An SA Sonar Titan type 5 and a Cortland Compact Type 3. Both lines spent around 30 days on the water this year. Neither has been rinsed, stretched, or removed from the reel. In fact over the last month and a half these lines have lived rigged up to rods, stored in the rod lockers in the boat. Still, both lines look essentially brand new.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
When you mentioned this, I thought it was a few small cracks you could feel stripping the fly.

That is bad, bad. I have had tons of rio lines crack on me but few have made it to that point. Send it back. They’ll replace it and usually fairly quickly. If you do, I am curious if it happens again. It’ll crack, way to fast as well all know about their lines…but that is over the top bad and way too fast!

North Sound

Freshly Spawned
Forum Supporter
Jaz, I’ve just had a Rio Gold crack on me after only a couple months use.
For short to medium casts off the beach to searuns that are showing themselves, I am now using the classic Cortland clear camo intermediate and am enjoying it. Thin line, few tangles. Yes, I may be casting a little more, but I am not usually using it as a searching line at distance. For those who may have used this line for searuns (not salmon), what are the disadvantages you have found?
Thanks

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For short to medium casts off the beach to searuns that are showing themselves, I am now using the classic Cortland clear camo intermediate and am enjoying it.
This is almost exactly what I've been doing since last fall and I have also enjoyed the line a lot. I only say almost only because I've used it plenty of times when they are not showing themselves with good results. I love slinging short, heavy shooting head lines for salmon in the summer, but the clear camo is a welcome change of pace for spring and fall SRC.

I think you've identified the major potential disadvantage - a little more fly out of the water time because of increased false casting. I'm an intermediate caster at best, but I find that if I focus on keeping false casting to a minimum I don't usually experience that much more fly out of water time at typical SRC distances than I would if I was using an OBS or something similar. If my casting is off, the issue becomes a little more pronounced though. The clear camo also seems to be a little slower sinking than the OBS or CQS, so if you fished deeper than average beaches or strong currents often, I could see that being another potential disadvantage. I think it also has a standard or close to standard WF taper and so is not the best tool for larger or heavier flies, but I don't think that's something most of us contend with for SRC.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Anyone tried this line off the beach?
Very similar profile to the Sonar Titan I/2/3.
35.5’ head versus 33.5’ on the 1/2/3 and both are 210 gr.
Will probably order the I/3 version since I need a new line after my OBS puked out after three months of use.
SF

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Will probably order the I/3 version since I need a new line after my OBS puked out after three months of use.
SF

Yeah, I use the 4wt for cutthroat. Pretty much the only option I could find in 4wt.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Bummer man. How'd it fail?
I feel like I'm running on borrowed time with the OBSs I have.

It started cracking almost immediately and then the coating started peeling off. Made some great noises going through the guides. 😂
I shipped it off for a warranty claim. I liked how it fished. I had high hopes for durability on the new Premier version, but no bueno. Died after three months of use.
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
SF

I have this in 5wt and 8wt full sink for lakes, it casts pretty well and sinks fast. It would be good for deep beaches I would think.
I have it in 7wt as a back up if OBS fails.