Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
It's a topic we go over and over in the saltwater forum. Hoping we can collect our thoughts on all our old favorites, the latest and greatest, what rods they work well with, clear or not, sink rates, taper and head length, grain weights and whether to upline or not, features we like or dislike, etc. Specify if you like a line for specific species, beach type, or other reasons.

There is a poll just for giggles but there are too many to list and I can't think of any others right now. I'll edit additional info in later to help kick it off.

Last edited:

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Decided to take out the single hander today for the first time in 10 years...a little bit rusty for sure. After getting skunked for the first hour, switched to a type 3 tip and immediately started catching. Lost one sizable fish after it came unbuttoned, lost another maybe 20 minutes later after it broke off at my wind knot 😞.

I was living proof today that you don't have to cast far to get into coho, as my average cast was about 50 feet.

Bagman

Steelhead
Decided to take out the single hander today for the first time in 10 years...a little bit rusty for sure. After getting skunked for the first hour, switched to a type 3 tip and immediately started catching. Lost one sizable fish after it came unbuttoned, lost another maybe 20 minutes later after it broke off at my wind knot 😞.

I was living proof today that you don't have to cast far to get into coho, as my average cast was about 50 feet.
So what tip was it you were getting skunked with a type 7, a intermediate, a floating?

mtskibum16

Life of the Party

I switched to a type 3 (full 36' head) a few years ago and have never gone back to an intermediate for salmon fishing the beach. I'm fully confident in either, but I never noticed any downsides to the type 3 and like how it gets down below the junk a little better. Seems to cut through the wind a bit better too because it's a really thin head being a sink line. Some don't like to go away from a clear head, but that's about the only "negative" I could think of but I've caught plenty of fish with the non-clear head and 4' leaders so it's not a concern for me.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I switched to a type 3 (full 36' head) a few years ago and have never gone back to an intermediate for salmon fishing the beach. I'm fully confident in either, but I never noticed any downsides to the type 3 and like how it gets down below the junk a little better. Seems to cut through the wind a bit better too because it's a really thin head being a sink line. Some don't like to go away from a clear head, but that's about the only "negative" I could think of but I've caught plenty of fish with the non-clear head and 4' leaders so it's not a concern for me.
What line are you using?

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
What line are you using?
Type 3 Airflo 40+. Discontinued now in the US unfortunately. Wish I would have stockpiled a few when they were available. I have a type 6 too that I've been tempted to try at the steeper dropoff beaches. I find I can fish the type 3 even in shallower spots for coho.

Edit: If you get the stuff to weld lines you could probably make a 40+ line pretty damn easy.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Type 3 Airflo 40+. Discontinued now in the US unfortunately. Wish I would have stockpiled a few when they were available. I have a type 6 too that I've been tempted to try at the steeper dropoff beaches. I find I can fish the type 3 even in shallower spots for coho.

Edit: If you get the stuff to weld lines you could probably make a 40+ line pretty damn easy.

Matt,
They are still available on the Airflo global site.
I’d have to think Mayfly / Airflo USA can get them for you since they own the company.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have been using int/type 3 and int/3/5 for the last 3-4 years as well. I always have a full intermediate with me for low tide fishing but have yet to take the time switch it out.

If the more than occasional running line knot coming out of the stripping basket does not make you want rip you hair out, the RIO OBS is really solid for beach coho. It has some durability issues too though. I also like the SA titan hover/2/4 as well. Another to consider.

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Matt,
They are still available on the Airflo global site.
I’d have to think Mayfly / Airflo USA can get them for you since they own the company.
SF

I emailed Airflo USA about it out of curiosity, this is their reply. I have a 40plus 6wt and it's a good line, may order one for the 7wt I fish with now.

"We can order it certainly although it is going to be a little while (1-2 weeks typically) before we get it in line in hand for it to be shipped. What was your intended use for the line?? We may very well have something that would work as well if not better in stock here ready to go. If you would like to order that line I can take payment over the phone and then put the line on our next order from Airflo UK. "

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I emailed Airflo USA about it out of curiosity, this is their reply. I have a 40plus 6wt and it's a good line, may order one for the 7wt I fish with now.

"We can order it certainly although it is going to be a little while (1-2 weeks typically) before we get it in line in hand for it to be shipped. What was your intended use for the line?? We may very well have something that would work as well if not better in stock here ready to go. If you would like to order that line I can take payment over the phone and then put the line on our next order from Airflo UK. "
Did you reply to them? And if so what did they recommend? Is that 40+ Brian linked the same as the old one? I know there have been a couple versions of it over the years.

For my main beach rods (6wt Sage Xi3 and Scott Meridian), the way I fish/cast, and the flies I use, I've never had a line I like better. That includes the old original Outbound, a couple gens of the OBS (but not the latest), Airflo Beach, SA Sonar Titan, Airflo Striper. The full intermediate Titan and the Airflo beach were my least favorite. I only tried the Titan at the recommended line weight, but it may have been better one or more sizes up - it was super coily though. I do have a floater 7wt Titan I could try on my 6wt now I guess just to get an idea of head weight.

Floaters cast different than intermediates which cast different than full sinks though even if the head is listed as the same taper and weight. I'm not sure how these new i/3/5 type lines are built but they may be closer to traditional intermediate in terms of construction vs lines like the type 3 40+ which seems to be just level sink line welded to a running line. It might not actually be level, but the whole think is much smaller diameter than most heavy head lines.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Did you reply to them? And if so what did they recommend? Is that 40+ Brian linked the same as the old one? I know there have been a couple versions of it over the years.

For my main beach rods (6wt Sage Xi3 and Scott Meridian), the way I fish/cast, and the flies I use, I've never had a line I like better. That includes the old original Outbound, a couple gens of the OBS (but not the latest), Airflo Beach, SA Sonar Titan, Airflo Striper. The full intermediate Titan and the Airflo beach were my least favorite. I only tried the Titan at the recommended line weight, but it may have been better one or more sizes up - it was super coily though. I do have a floater 7wt Titan I could try on my 6wt now I guess just to get an idea of head weight.

Floaters cast different than intermediates which cast different than full sinks though even if the head is listed as the same taper and weight. I'm not sure how these new i/3/5 type lines are built but they may be closer to traditional intermediate in terms of construction vs lines like the type 3 40+ which seems to be just level sink line welded to a running line. It might not actually be level, but the whole think is much smaller diameter than most heavy head lines.
I did email Dave back with description of our beach fishing, will be interesting to see what he recommends...
As far as I know the link Brian sent looks identical in terms of tapers. I compared my 6wt fly line box here with it.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

I think the main difference in the newer version I posted versus the one you are using is the new one uses their Superflo technology.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
The other thing I would say is try a few. I really disliked the 40+ lines but tons of folks LOVE them so it’s likely a casting style thing as Matt and others have stated.

I’ve cycled through a ton of intermediate, type 3, etc. lines since starting beach fishing. For me, finding the right lines is the most important thing I’ve done since starting beach fishing (besides buying a stripping basket!). A lot different from when I was a river trout fisherman mostly. I used to just buy the best floating line I could find for a reasonable price and never really noticed a big difference between them all.

@copperJon, next time we end up in the same beach, I’d be happy to let you cast the lines I carry on your rod or mine to see if they fit the bill. Might save you some $$ buying a bunch of lines to try on your singlehander.

Last edited:

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
The description on the site shows 35' but the taper picture shows 36'. I believe mine is 36' and it's not like 1' probably makes a difference. I was just wondering with the label as 40+ Extreme (short head) but it's probably just market speak to differentiate if from the longer head one. They also show 30' AFTM now vs full head weight like they used to so couldn't compare that. And micro loops which the old one didn't have at least on the type 3+ versions. I might look in to ordering an intermediate 6wt and a type 3 6/7/8wt. Thanks.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
The other thing I would say is try a few. I really disliked the 40+ lines but tons of folks LOVE them so it’s likely a casting style thing as Matt and others have stated.
Curious what you didn't like about it? I remember the first time I cast one of @Mtnwkr I wasn't a fan because the running line was thin and slick. Compared to the OBS at the time I couldn't grip it when hauling. Ended up just being a muscle memory thing. I have no issues gripping the running line now and appreciate how nice it shoots. The head profiles are actually similar (or they were) but the 40+ is 6' longer than OBS which I also seem to like better. I always found myself trying to cast my OBS with 5-10' of running line out. I wouldn't mind trying a newer version of the OBS though as these lines change over time.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Curious what you didn't like about it? I remember the first time I cast one of @Mtnwkr I wasn't a fan because the running line was thin and slick. Compared to the OBS at the time I couldn't grip it when hauling. Ended up just being a muscle memory thing. I have no issues gripping the running line now and appreciate how nice it shoots. The head profiles are actually similar (or they were) but the 40+ is 6' longer than OBS which I also seem to like better. I always found myself trying to cast my OBS with 5-10' of running line out. I wouldn't mind trying a newer version of the OBS though as these lines change over time.
Matt, next time I'm there you can try my 7wt OBS premiere and see how you like it.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
A couple lines I wish SA would make in the Sonar Titan would make are a int/2 and a int/3.
Wasn’t a fan of the int/2/3.
SF

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Matt, next time I'm there you can try my 7wt OBS premiere and see how you like it.
You're casting that on a 7wt rod though right? I would like to line my 7wt Echo Boost Blue for the salt but haven't cast it more than a couple times yet. I got a 7wt Titan floater for streamers I'm hoping works out. Lawn casts ok but haven't had it on the water with a streamer yet.