Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
Well, I had high hopes for the OBS “ Premier“. It was shipped to me on 3/10/23.
Oh well, back to the drawing board. 😂
SF

View attachment 62809
Along with the majority of voters on this thread, I personally like the way the OBS casts. I realize these lines are self destructing in the hands of Stonedfish 🤣, but are others getting reasonable longevity? @Merle @Kfish @Mossback , others?

I only had trouble with one batch/generation cracking.

Appreciate any feedback!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Along with the majority of voters on this thread, I personally like the way the OBS casts. I realize these lines are self destructing in the hands of Stonedfish 🤣, but are others getting reasonable longevity? @Merle @Kfish @Mossback , others?

Appreciate any feedback!
Define reasonable.

I last tried an obs two years ago, but according to my notes it cracked at just over 60 hours of fishing/casting. Some folks might struggle to use a line 60 hours a year. At that rate, $100/year isn’t so bad. I’m not a guide, and I sure as heck don’t fish as much as a lot of the folks on here (like those you listed), but 60 hours is what I can expect in a non-summer month. In the summer, if I’m focused on the salt, 60 hours can happen in a week.

6wt rod, double hauling, 6-10’ of maxima leader, not cracking the whip or throwing tailing loops, 1-2 false casts, fan casting, shooting 60-90’ of line every cast.

My beloved and apparently extinct Airflo 40+ intermediates each stood up to years of this kind of fishing. Call it 500 fishing sessions before I’d replace them, and even then they were serviceable.

If I were casting the same distance every time I might expect some kind of mechanical fatigue/wear at the rod tip part of the obs. I’m not.

If I were cracking the whip, throwing tailing loops, or hitting crap with my back cast, I might expect damage on the line. I’m not. Furthermore, since this longevity issue is limited to RIO lines—especially the obs—if it were my casting I’d be breaking other lines. No other line company’s lines have failed in this way or this fast, either.

If I were stepping on it (I’m not) or dragging it through cobble/barnacles/oysters/etc, I’d expect damage. I’m not. Also, no other line companies lines have failed me in this way or this fast.

I've been told that Airflo uses a different plastic than RIO or SA, but RIO stands alone in the "falls apart fast" group.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter

Appreciate any feedback!
Sadly I don’t get out nearly enough to fairly comment on the longevity of the Rio lines. I’ve been out of the beach game for a while, but as I resume it I might get 40 hours in a year and I’m always trying new combos which spreads the time out among different lines.

Greggor

Forum Supporter
Define reasonable.

I last tried an obs two years ago, but according to my notes it cracked at just over 60 hours of fishing/casting. Some folks might struggle to use a line 60 hours a year. At that rate, $100/year isn’t so bad. I’m not a guide, and I sure as heck don’t fish as much as a lot of the folks on here (like those you listed), but 60 hours is what I can expect in a non-summer month. In the summer, if I’m focused on the salt, 60 hours can happen in a week.

6wt rod, double hauling, 6-10’ of maxima leader, not cracking the whip or throwing tailing loops, 1-2 false casts, fan casting, shooting 60-90’ of line every cast.

My beloved and apparently extinct Airflo 40+ intermediates each stood up to years of this kind of fishing. Call it 500 fishing sessions before I’d replace them, and even then they were serviceable.

If I were casting the same distance every time I might expect some kind of mechanical fatigue/wear at the rod tip part of the obs. I’m not.

If I were cracking the whip, throwing tailing loops, or hitting crap with my back cast, I might expect damage on the line. I’m not. Furthermore, since this longevity issue is limited to RIO lines—especially the obs—if it were my casting I’d be breaking other lines. No other line company’s lines have failed in this way or this fast, either.

If I were stepping on it (I’m not) or dragging it through cobble/barnacles/oysters/etc, I’d expect damage. I’m not. Also, no other line companies lines have failed me in this way or this fast.

I've been told that Airflo uses a different plastic than RIO or SA, but RIO stands alone in the "falls apart fast" group.
Thank you for your feedback! For me, reasonable would be 200 hours/yr for two years. All my OBS lines (5 maybe) have lasted at least that long except for the one. Some were never susceptible to the cracking/missing coating segments at all.

I should have been more specific in pointing to current OBS Premier lines. In particular, the full intermediate pictured(in Stonedfish's post I replied to).

Great information regarding the perspective one should take in evaluating longevity.

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter

Appreciate any feedback! We
I’m one of the lucky ones I guess , OBS has been working great for me. I should have but didn’t keep track of the OBS lines I bought, intermediate and S5 for both 6wt & 7wt. I’m guessing a couple of years on them so far on the new Premiere type. I don’t fish all that much compared to others, average about 6hrs per weekend.

Greggor

Forum Supporter
I’m one of the lucky ones I guess , OBS has been working great for me. I should have but didn’t keep track of the OBS lines I bought, intermediate and S5 for both 6wt & 7wt. I’m guessing a couple of years on them so far on the new Premiere type. I don’t fish all that much compared to others, average about 6hrs per weekend.
So no crackling glo-stick like Stonedfish? Man, that pic makes me nervous! 🤣

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thank you for your feedback! For me, reasonable would be 200 hours/yr for two years. All my OBS lines (5 maybe) have lasted at least that long except for the one. Some were never susceptible to the cracking/missing coating segments at all.

I should have been more specific in pointing to current OBS Premier lines. In particular, the full intermediate pictured(in Stonedfish's post I replied to).

Great information regarding the perspective one should take in evaluating longevity.
You’re welcome.

If the line works for you, cool. It’s a good design let down by spotty execution—at least in my experience. Lots of folks love it, though. I love Rio lines in warm saltwater and it’s always bugged me a bit that they’re such a letdown with that one.

Airflo’s Beach line, which is supposedly their attempt at a line specifically for targeting “sea run cuties” (sic), is a design flop, but the materials hold up well and have far less memory in my experience.

I wish the one could be made out of the materials of the other.

Divad

Whitefish
What about running a SA Skagit Lite Integrated (15’ head) and attach 10’ polyleaders making it close to the same taper. Do you think it would cast as well as an OBS or 40+ Short?

I really like the ability to swap polyleaders from float->s3->s6 w/o swapping spools. I use a mono + head setup now and can bomb casts but never having cast an OBS or 40+, I am curious if I can find a hybrid.

SA Skagit Lite Integrated, + imagine a 10’ poly:

View attachment 92936
OBS:
View attachment 92938

EDIT: I think I’m focusing on the Airflo 40+ Short as to not go down the Rio OBS rabbit hole. Maybe altering the line with a 5’ tip snip to make a polyleader conversion or just adding a polyleader anyways. Plus that 40+ I can get for $55.
View attachment 92939

Bought the Airflo 40+ Extreme.

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Considering picking up a type 3 Sink tip for river coho on my 8wt, but wondering if I can save money on an extra spool and an extra beach line and use it for the beaches as well. I think I know the answer, which is that I will be spending a whole lot of time cleaning my running line, but I thought I’d ask if any of you have first hand experience using that sort of line off a beach.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Considering picking up a type 3 Sink tip for river coho on my 8wt, but wondering if I can save money on an extra spool and an extra beach line and use it for the beaches as well. I think I know the answer, which is that I will be spending a whole lot of time cleaning my running line, but I thought I’d ask if any of you have first hand experience using that sort of line off a beach.

I’ve used this line in rivers, lakes and beaches and it has worked well. Also available in a type 6 sink tip.
SF

IMG_5780.jpeg

cedarslug

Steelhead

jeradjames

Steelhead
I may have to try that out at some point if they're still available and I burn through my SA titan and OBS. Wasn't the Coastal Quickshooter designed for the Puget Sound angler? The head appears to be a bit longer on that new line.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I may have to try that out at some point if they're still available and I burn through my SA titan and OBS. Wasn't the Coastal Quickshooter designed for the Puget Sound angler? The head appears to be a bit longer on that new line.

I may be wrong, but that Patrick's line looks like it is based off the original Outbound. If I recall correctly, the original OB had a 37.5' head.
It seemed to have gone out of their line-up shortly after the OBS was introduced.
Yes, the CQS was designed for PS fishing.
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Avid Angler one is, from what I can tell, a bespoke line that is closer to the Rio Gold taper, functions like a more laid-back outbound short, and has a braided core. Intermediate, 5 and 6wt only.

Testing is in progress, but it isn’t as much a shooting-head line so it lets you carry a bit more line.

It’s pretty cool.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
It is. Was designed by Ben from Pacific Fly Fishers (and other folks, too). Mono core so lots of stretching and memory issues.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
The Avid Angler one is, from what I can tell, a bespoke line that is closer to the Rio Gold taper, functions like a more laid-back outbound short, and has a braided core. Intermediate, 5 and 6wt only.

Testing is in progress, but it isn’t as much a shooting-head line so it lets you carry a bit more line.

It’s pretty cool.

I thought the Avid version was based on Rio Grand? Let us know how the durability is.
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I thought the Avid version was based on Rio Grand? Let us know how the durability is.
SF
A private message from @mickey rat reminded me I never got around to correcting myself. Yes, it’s the Rio Grand taper in intermediate Avid Angler clothing, not the gold like I’d said.

Sorry, been busy with work, kids’ basketball tournaments, and making up for lost fishing time now that my rod vault is done.

It isn’t my first choice for a Puget Sound taper, so it hasn’t gotten much use and the more I learned about it the less interesting/important it felt to review it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fine line. One full size heavy, long head, meant more to carry line than shoot line, intermediate where the Rio Grand is a floater. It’s made to turn over big flies in the wind and to make it easy for casters of all experience levels to get line out there, but by false casting. I like to make one, maybe two false casts before I shoot, and so it just doesn’t fit my casting needs or style.

Last edited: