Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I picked up an older airflo 40 plus “distance” today in a 6wt with a type 3 head. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the “distance” moniker before. No box, it’s in a sealed sample bag from airflo. Anyone familiar with this line? When I google it I see “extreme distance” but not sure that this is the same line?

They made an extreme distance and and expert distance 40+ if I recall correctly.
The extreme had a 35’ head and the expert either 44-45’ in head length.
SF

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Wow never mind, there is a small folded note inside the bag with all of the relevant information in a letter from Mr Rajeff lol. I thought it was just a piece of cardboard. It’s the first run 40 plus type 3, intermediate running line apparently sent as a demo. Score.

skyrise

Steelhead
Wow never mind, there is a small folded note inside the bag with all of the relevant information in a letter from Mr Rajeff lol. I thought it was just a piece of cardboard. It’s the first run 40 plus type 3, intermediate running line apparently sent as a demo. Score.
Creatchr, how does this 40+ cast, shoot line ? Compare to a OBS say ? Asking as I need to replace an old OBS line I have hung onto way too long.
On a side note I bought a SA mastery tropical grand slam eight weight for a vacation a few years ago. Nice line and shoots out great but for me this line really only works on my 5-6 weight rods as it just does not load any of my eight weight rods.
Anyway thanks for thoughts on the 40+ you have.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Creatchr, how does this 40+ cast, shoot line ? Compare to a OBS say ? Asking as I need to replace an old OBS line I have hung onto way too long.
On a side note I bought a SA mastery tropical grand slam eight weight for a vacation a few years ago. Nice line and shoots out great but for me this line really only works on my 5-6 weight rods as it just does not load any of my eight weight rods.
Anyway thanks for thoughts on the 40+ you have.
i haven’t had a 40plus in a real long time. I bought one sometime around 2008-2010 for beach fishing but I ended up preferring a streamer express from SA and sold the 40plus. I haven’t fished this particular one yet just yard cast it and it flies pretty good but the real test will be a day of fishing I suppose. I now have somehow amassed a 40plus, OBS, beach, and CQS and I have no clue which one I’m gonna prefer lol.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Last time out I noticed that my Coastal Quickshooter intermediate was pretty badly cracked and needs to be replaced. Looking for something on the cheap in 6 weight.

Thoughts on this?

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
I only have one OBS In Touch Connect Core. I'm suspicious in that it seems like it is becoming less flexible, almost stiff and dry textured. You can't really stretch it much, because that's the technology they're selling. I get larger tangles in the running line more often.

Doesn't have many hours on it, but it is three years old. Could be a one off, and I still use it, but it is the target of profanity that no other lines receive. 🤔

skyrise

Steelhead
I have the OBS Tropical in a floater. Like the line for how it loads (Seems correct per listed weight) and running line part shoots nicely. Use it around here but it’s little to stiff on cold days.

KFCDAVE

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just picked up the SA Sonar Titan INT, 2,3 in 7 weight to replace my Coastal Quickshooter. If anyone else is interested It’s $33 off at this shop!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just picked up the SA Sonar Titan INT, 2,3 in 7 weight to replace my Coastal Quickshooter. If anyone else is interested It’s $33 off at this shop!

oh, nice....I was just thinking I need that line for much of my smallie fishing as my other one is starting to fall apart. It's between that and the Cortland Compact type 3 (love that taper too).

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter

Unfortunately the 6 weight version is not on sale...

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any reason to not overline a 6wt rod w/ a 7wt line? I’ve been tempted by that line and the price is right.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Any reason to not overline a 6wt rod w/ a 7wt line? I’ve been tempted by that line and the price is right.

I think it would depend on your 6 wt. A salty six shouldn’t have any trouble the a 240g head weight on the 7wt I/2/3 line
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I think it would depend on your 6 wt. A salty six shouldn’t have any trouble the a 240g head weight on the 7wt I/2/3 line
SF
Yah… 240 is only ~5 grains heavier than the Rio OBS and Airflo Beach 6 weight lines. And I think the Cortland Compact 6 wt line actually is 240gr

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Bagman

Steelhead
SF
I read some where that the modern fly rods don’t have a problem whit over lining. The real problem over lining is when your fishing a bamboo rod, over time the bamboo rod will get a twist in it.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I read some where that the modern fly rods don’t have a problem whit over lining. The real problem over lining is when your fishing a bamboo rod, over time the bamboo rod will get a twist in it.

Back in the day before the integrated lines we have today, it was very common for folks to over line rods by 2-3 line weights when using their self made shooting heads systems. Those systems would still work today.
SF