Litter

EB590

Steelhead
NY has had a 5 cent bottle/can deposit as long as I can remember. There are still a lot of bottles and cans on the side of the road.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
When I lived there, Vermont had a bottle bill and New Hampshire did not. It was very striking to drive across the state line and immediately see much more roadside litter on the NH side of the line. One time after Vermont's reggae fest, I picked up 4 trash bags of beer cans and turned them in for for about $25.
That striking visual used be Oregon to Washington.
Oregon had the bottle bill and some fine leadership at the top. That and Oregonians gave a shit about the State looked.
Don’t get me started on the migration and their bad habits…that’s a topics for another thread and day.

A perfect monument to humanity's impact on earth. True brutal truth, during the covid crisis a milestone was passed, that being there are now more human-made features on earth than there are natural ones. Something to consider.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Abandoned camps while fishing on USFS land and county parks. No telling what's in it or under the leaves that will kill me if I try to pack it out. I reported them all.
2020 10 29_1215.JPG
2020 10 29_1216.JPG
20201019_143620.jpg
I found this after a wildfire season where 800 acres burned and 4 homes were destroyed 12 miles away. The rim of the canyon 265 feet away from this camp is lined with condos and $600K to $1M homes on 1/4 acre lots.
2020 10 29_1224.JPG
This one made me want to cry... 😢
20230531_120607.jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Abandoned camps while fishing on USFS land and county parks. No telling what's in it or under the leaves that will kill me if I try to pack it out. I reported them all.
View attachment 105776
View attachment 105777
View attachment 105778
I found this after a wildfire season where 800 acres burned and 4 homes were destroyed 12 miles away. The rim of the canyon 265 feet away from this camp is lined with condos and $600K to $1M homes on 1/4 acre lots.
View attachment 105780
View attachment 105779
I had no idea you had taken such beautiful pictures of the Spokane River riparian environment....would make a lovely 'covfefe table' book.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
View attachment 105776
View attachment 105777
View attachment 105778
View attachment 105780
View attachment 105779

Those are perfect examples of why we keep losing access to areas because of the POS that could care less about littering up a place.
SF

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Those are perfect examples of why we keep losing access to areas because of the POS that could care less about littering up a place.
SF

I've had to start buying access to get to a river on public land I've fished for 20 years because of it.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I've had to start buying access to get to a river on public land because it.

That sucks.
I stopped by a place to check out the water on my way home this weekend. Its a constant battle to keep the place clean.
I picked up some litter in the parking area, but people continually throw garbage over the bluff. There will be litter there again if I stop by this weekend.
Its just a matter of time before access will be lost due to this issue.

One of the oddest rural dump sites I ever encountered was in SW Washington. I parked my rig and started to descend a hill down to the river where I encounter millions of kidney beans. I'm talking a lot! I don't know what the deal was that lead to them being dumped there, but they didn't belong on a beautiful river bank. The only bright side to it is they were biodegradable.
SF

Last edited:

JudyM

Steelhead
WSDOT can and should fund more litter patrol crews.
Oregon uses the courts that hand out "community service" sentence to form crews that pick-up trash along the public highways. If Washington adopts a bottle bill, it will take the pressure of returning cans off of Oregon. I do see some Washington plates on vehicles at the Oregon City BottleDrop.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
That sucks.
I stopped by a place to check out the water on my way home this weekend. Its a constant battle to keep the place clean.
I picked up some litter in the parking area, but people continually throw garbage over the bluff. There will be litter there again if I stop by this weekend.
Its just a matter of time before access will be lost due to this issue.
SF
This and the rest of the west coast states have become full of the slime of the earth. It was amazing, I was back in Edina, MN a few weeks ago, went for a run and it was clean as can be. I saw 2 people holding signs. It’s a cultural problem we have here.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
View attachment 105776
View attachment 105777
View attachment 105778
View attachment 105780
View attachment 105779

Just ranching scenes from the western Washington addiction ranching industry. The lazy D has quite a few head. We're going to build a super ranch in my county. The city administrator is really pro ranching and has made clear she's ready to drain the city funds to make it happen. Soon we will be a destination ranch. Can't wait.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
This and the rest of the west coast states have become full of the slime of the earth. It was amazing, I was back in Edina, MN a few weeks ago, went for a run and it was clean as can be. I saw 2 people holding signs. It’s a cultural problem we have here.

My ex girlfriend lives in Minnesota and I spent a decent amount of time there. So much cleaner then here. Not even close.
Also saw park workers removing graffiti, which is just visual litter to me. The highway rest areas were very clean and well maintained. I saw the same thing in Wisconsin.
SF

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I do see some Washington plates on vehicles at the Oregon City BottleDrop.
As Newman and Kramer would tell you, it just doesn't 'pencil out' due to transportation overhead costs on bottle deposit refund interstate arbitrage schemes.

Last edited:

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
My ex girlfriend lives in Minnesota and I spent a decent amount of time there. So much cleaner then here. Not even close.
Also saw park workers removing graffiti, which is just visual litter to me. The highway rest areas were very clean and well maintained. I saw the same thing in Wisconsin.
SF
Yep lived back there for 14 years. Like I said, it’s a cultural problem here. B’ham is not the same town I grew up in, it’s disgusting.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
This scene kind of reminds me of the gal we saw on Highway 101 at Crescent Lake. One of the most beautiful spots in our state. She was standing outside her rig and tossed a bunch of litter on the ground. My buddy who was driving stopped and yelled at her to pick up her litter. She just hopped in her rig and drove off. Unfortunately we were towing our raft and there wasn’t a place to turn around quickly and chase her.
SF

I remember watching that mad Men episode years ago with my wife and we were both "WTF? Did that just happen?". Even as bad as people are about trash today, it's hard to imagine that level of littering happening now.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I remember watching that mad Men episode years ago with my wife and we were both "WTF? Did that just happen?". Even as bad as people are about trash today, it's hard to imagine that level of littering happening now.

Unfortunately, I think there were slobs in all eras. I can only imagine what these peoples homes look like if they treat them like they do other places. Probably all litters up dumps.

Older picture, but does this place look familiar to anyone? I got told to F off on a different day at the same spot by some strung out looking guy hanging around there. I like to stop by there on the way home to check out the water and folks fishing. I caught my first searun cutt there in the mid 60’s on a small daredevil spoon with my dad and brother.
SF

IMG_6661.jpeg

Last edited:

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Memorial Day is like opening season for trashy dumper fucks. I’ve seen unbelievable amounts of trash left behind. Non-designated areas are the worst of course. There is no doubt it’s partially a generational thing.

I saw a comment on the “migration” issue when it comes to littering. Let’s not get it twisted. I see a lot of this coming from all types of folks so let’s not go there. All kinds of people are capable of being shit bags and from my perspective the bulk of it is done by a different breed. East side is just as bad as the west side.

Hot mushroom hunting tip: if you want to find a good chanterelle patch follow a main logging road till you hit that spur with the pile of busted up trash bags and fridge at the end. Honey hole is right down the ravine 😁

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Memorial Day is like opening season for trashy dumper fucks. I’ve seen unbelievable amounts of trash left behind. Non-designated areas are the worst of course. There is no doubt it’s partially a generational thing.

I saw a comment on the “migration” issue when it comes to littering. Let’s not get it twisted. I see a lot of this coming from all types of folks so let’s not go there. All kinds of people are capable of being shit bags and from my perspective the bulk of it is done by a different breed. East side is just as bad as the west side.

Hot mushroom hunting tip: if you want to find a good chanterelle patch follow a main logging road till you hit that spur with the pile of busted up trash bags and fridge at the end. Honey hole is right down the ravine 😁
You then noticed I didn’t say immigration…the problem is internal not external.