Litter

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You touch on a point that gets directly at rural forest dumping. I'm pretty sure of the cause. All through the 1960s and I think into the early 1970s, taking trash to the county dump was free. Dump operation costs were part of the county budgets. The smart people who failed to think of unintended consequences thought user fees would be the better way to cover dump O&M. No matter how small the cost, the user fee was a direct cost that some residents wouldn't or couldn't bear, so they drove up forest roads to offload their trash. The forest companies, like Weyerhauser, put up with it until they discovered that they were liable for the hazardous waste that was dumped on their forest property. Which led to all the gates that are now commonplace.

It won't stop all littering, but incorporating trash O&M into city and county budgets correlates 100% with drastically reduced illegal dumping.

My great plan was always to allow the meth head children of those who dumped washing machines and AMC Gremlins in the woods access to go collect the scrap. Of course my policy is less than perfect.

Reactions: NRC

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Went to the Ankeny wildlife refuge today. Birding was unremarkable, but back at the parking lot I filled a full kitchen garbage bag with assorted trash, including a diaper the kid must have worn for a week, about 30 cigarette butts, McDonalds cups, several unmatched assorted sizes of sox, 3 condoms but no wrappers, and a bindle of white who knows what. This is at a trailhead where people come to enjoy nature. Go figure.

(BigDave)

Smolt
I pick up aluminum cans when I go walk. It bothers me that they are replaced as quickly as I grab them. Usually between 3 to a dozen on a 3 mile route that I walked on less than a week ago. I wish I could pick up more litter but it would soon be more than I could carry. I have volunteered for a couple of local cleanups, but it's just not enough to keep up. The homeless situation certainly has added to the mess. I wish I knew the answer?

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Oregon uses the courts that hand out "community service" sentence to form crews that pick-up trash along the public highways. If Washington adopts a bottle bill, it will take the pressure of returning cans off of Oregon. I do see some Washington plates on vehicles at the Oregon City BottleDrop.
Oregon won't take cans not purchased in state.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I agree with Jasmillo that more people equals more garbage, but it also has to do with that feeling of being anonymous when there are tons of folks around that don't know you, not knowing your neighbors, being in a car. People behave better in many ways when they live in smaller groups. There will still be people who don't give a shit about others, but many less.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
I also think a contributing factor is that with the lack of an enforcement oversight, people feel that they can do anything as long as they don't get caught. I see this on constant basis nearly every time when out driving.
In Bellingham…. we’re more concerned about parking meters than people speeding through school zones. Let that sink in, explains it all.

Otter

Steelhead
As a kid, I bought some pretty nice things with money I got collecting cans and turning them in for cash at the recycling center.
At $0.10 per can or bottle, someone could make some decent cash without a lot of effort based on how much litter there is out there.
SF
I wish I was as young as you, Stonedfish! When I was a kid, a bottle of pop ("soda" in US lingo) cost $.10, and the refundable deposit was $.02. That was close to 70 years ago.

Am I hearing right, that Washington state still doesn't have a bottle deposit system? Is that a political decison, an economic one, or a social one?

Here in B.C., there's a disgusting amount of household litter, all the way from small stuff to old vehicles (often torched), left by folks who don't apparently don't have the "resources" to bring them to the landfill. (There's a tipping fee at the landfill.) I don't see many bottles or cans littering the ground in town. Many get tossed into garbage bins by folks who don't make the effort to return them for refund. I imagine part of that is because there's now a recycling organization that teams up with the drinks industry, and there are only a few recycle centres (only 2 in my town with a population around 120,000). Before that system, you could return empties to any store that sold drinks. Liquor stores still accept them, but not grocery stores, at least none I've noticed.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
As a Canadian, I gotta ask where that comment came from, Dustin. I know you're just joking, but sheesh!

It's a least partially directed at me (I think it was in response to my comment back at Finluver), @Dustin Chromers and I have had a few dust-ups, nothing serious, we also have an ongoing bacon debate - he seems to think Canadian bacon is a real thing in Canada and is the bacon we eat with eggs etc, Sheesh. He just won't listen to an expert on bacon, as all Canadians are.

Cheers