Litter

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Man, our state has become a really littered up place. In my opinion, it seems to have gotten worse since the pandemic.
I took an alternative route home yesterday that I’d never been on. On one corner at a stop sign, there must have 200 beer and Whiteclaw cans.
Today I fished an area I frequented since the 60’s with my dad. There used to be litter back then as well, but nothing like today.
It’s really sad to see. To me, it looks like a lot of it is just tossed out of vehicles. I’ve got some ideas on how to possibly remove a lot of it, but I have a feeling it will quickly be replaced by more from people who don’t give a shit.
I probably sound like a grumpy old man on this subject. That is exactly what I am.
SF

RCF

Life of the Party
I feel real lucky that the roads around the area I live in have volunteers/groups that have adopted sections to reduce litter. Even have signs up provided by the county identifying who is responsible. When some jerk dumps a large amount nearby, the county usually comes out to pick it up.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Man, our state has become a really littered up place. In my opinion, it seems to have gotten worse since the pandemic.
I took an alternative route home yesterday that I’d never been on. On one corner at a stop sign, there must have 200 beer and Whiteclaw cans.
Today I fished an area I frequented since the 60’s with my dad. There used to be litter back then as well, but nothing like today.
It’s really sad to see. To me, it looks like a lot of it is just tossed out of vehicles. I’ve got some ideas on how to possibly remove a lot of it, but I have a feeling it will quickly be replaced by more from people who don’t give a shit.
I probably sound like a grumpy old man on this subject. That is exactly what I
Remember the big anti litter campaign on TV from the 70s with the teared up native American guy back when there was only 3 or 4 channels so you couldn't miss it? People need a basic lesson in civics and how to be a basic decent human being. It's not that hard.

RCF

Life of the Party
State lawmakers in Olympia are once again considering a proposal to establish a bottle deposit program for Washington state. The basic idea: Pay 10 cents per can/bottle, and return the container to get the money back.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
@ Albula, seriously all joking aside. WA is an absolute embarrassment for litter, we say we’re eco friendly but we’re anything but, it’s disgusting. With the rural dumping aspect, I saw some dumpsters outside of Avery, ID and they looked like they were a good investment. I’m wondering if Olympia was willing to redirect some funds if that would help the rural illegal dumps?

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That anti litter campaign ad mentioned above, evidently, has surfaced again but not in a good way. Indigenous peoples dont like the portrayal of the Native person. Personally, I feel the ad had no ill intent and was pretty impactful and also tastefully done.

Be that as it may, I always carry a litter bag with me fishing whether on foot or in a boat. Just makes me feel better to try and give back. On large piles, I carry 50 gallon contactor bags in the truck. Sometimes, what I find, needs a dump truck. I call the County, State or Feds.

Its never gonna stop but sometimes it does change for the better. For instance, in the North East, roadside litter is much, much better that it was in the 70's and 80's. Same in the Midwest. There is hope.

Keep the Faith.

Bob

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

Besides the pants and golf ball, the trash included more than 20 plastic bags, small towels, surgical gloves, plastic pieces and duct tape.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I-90 between Ellensburg and Easton is disgusting. Tons of plastic bottles in the median and side of the road. Do people think that tossing a water bottle in a snowbank makes it disappear? Only for a couple of months.

Divad

Whitefish
That anti litter campaign ad mentioned above, evidently, has surfaced again but not in a good way. Indigenous peoples dont like the portrayal of the Native person. Personally, I feel the ad had no ill intent and was pretty impactful and also tastefully done.

Be that as it may, I always carry a litter bag with me fishing whether on foot or in a boat. Just makes me feel better to try and give back. On large piles, I carry 50 gallon contactor bags in the truck. Sometimes, what I find, needs a dump truck. I call the County, State or Feds.

Its never gonna stop but sometimes it does change for the better. For instance, in the North East, roadside litter is much, much better that it was in the 70's and 80's. Same in the Midwest. There is hope.

Keep the Faith.

Bob
I by no means am saying they’re the sole culprit or anything to that tune, nor have I seen the ad. But drive around ANY reservation and it’s appalling the trash that is littered everywhere. It is a little ironic given the circumstance. Again not trying to point fingers, many folks think it’s okay to litter.

If I’m not holding dog poop in my bags when I walk fido, I am packing one with bits of trash.

Last year I hiked into a serene view remote lake and was surprised to watch a guy sit down, smoke a cigarette and drink a Pepsi. Went over to that shoal to fish and found all the remnants thrown on the rocks. If he hadn’t hiked down 30 min before on the opposite route I was going to run and give it back to him.

I hate litterers.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Trash, both human and inanimate, has just become a fact of life. I carry a supply of garbage bags and a “grabber reacher tool” (name per Amazon) in each of my vehicles. I generally spend some time harvesting trash whenever I go fishing, birding, or dragon hunting. I usually get a pretty good haul. Somebody has to pick the crap up or we will get locked out of everywhere. If not us, who?

5 Weight

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Trash, both human and inanimate, has just become a fact of life. I carry a supply of garbage bags and a “grabber reacher tool” (name per Amazon) in each of my vehicles. I generally spend some time harvesting trash whenever I go fishing, birding, or dragon hunting. I usually get a pretty good haul. Somebody has to pick the crap up or we will get locked out of everywhere. If not us, who?
I too carry the “grabber” when I fish the local put and take lakes. When I get bored or the bite is slow, I work the shallows and load my float tube with bottles and cans. I just wish the “grabber” was a little longer. The lakes that attract knuckle draggers are virtual gold mines.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
mid 90's, wife and I parked on hwy #50 ten miles from Kirkwood Ski mtn, waiting for avalanche control to finish clearing what had been a heavy dump, suddenly white fast food bags and large drink cups come flying out of the bright green sedan a few cars ahead of us that had been blasting it's stereo.
Get out of my truck and gather up the trash. By now other guys have gotten out of their rigs, pissed off as well.
Trash gathered, I tap on their window, it opens part way, can see four guys inside.
"What" bellows the driver.
"Our roads aren't your trash can" I responded, shoving the bags and drink cups through the opening onto the drivers lap and start to walk away.
He yells, 4 Asian guys in their 20's boil out of the car, swearing.
Other car doors open, now there's at least half a dozen other guys surrounding these idiots.
Still swearing, guys get back in their car, make a 4 point U-turn, pull even with me, driver rolls down the window, tells me to f' myself, throws the gabage out the window and speeds off back the way we all came.
I pick up the garbage, happy that's four less assholes we all had to share the lifts with.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Stonedfish has inspired me to carry a 13 gallon garbage bag. When I hike into and back out of local lakes I pick up trash and put it in the bag and carry the bag in my net. The last three hikes I've picked up so many discarded beverage containers that I thought I was going to blow out my Measure Net bag.

Good luck WA State in enacting a bottle/can bill. Kroeger, Safeway have always opposed "bottle bills".

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
@Stonedfish has inspired me to carry a 13 gallon garbage bag. When I hike into and back out of local lakes I pick up trash and put it in the bag and carry the bag in my net. The last three hikes I've picked up so many discarded beverage containers that I thought I was going to blow out my Measure Net bag.

Good luck WA State in enacting a bottle/can bill. Kroeger, Safeway have always opposed "bottle bills".
With good reason too…
Portland area is closing two bottle locations (one is a Safeway I believe) due to the active drug trade taking place there. Bottles…Cash…Drugs…
Can’t really blame ‘em.