Litter

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@ Albula, seriously all joking aside. WA is an absolute embarrassment for litter, we say we’re eco friendly but we’re anything but, it’s disgusting. With the rural dumping aspect, I saw some dumpsters outside of Avery, ID and they looked like they were a good investment. I’m wondering if Olympia was willing to redirect some funds if that would help the rural illegal dumps?
There is a good bit of money spent on having events in certain parts of our county.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Every time I follow a recycling truck there is paper and plastic blowing out the top, I've called WaistManagment several times but always falls on death ears.
You may get further contacting the local health dept. or possibly WA Utility and Trade Commission.

We just went to comingled recycling rather that open milk crate style separated recycling. The change was made for carbon/ less traffic reasons. However, one nice side effect is that the tote has a cover. This means.......less litter. Also, I can put it out the night before and not worry about the wind blowing everything around.

JB20

Smolt
I’ve lived and fished in a half dozen states from one coast to the other, and without doubt Oregon and Washington have more trash littering their open spaces than anywhere else I’ve been. Littering and dumping on public land seems to just be an acceptable part of PNW culture. I can’t tell you how many unimproved camp sites I’ve come across with fire rings stuffed full of dirty disposable diapers, so that trashy behavior is being passed down from one generation to the next, too. Last year I found three smashed big screen TVs on the Oak Grove Fork. Who goes out of their way to do that? Even the crews who fight our summertime fires throw trash and toilet paper everywhere at their staging areas. Awful example to set.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
As a kid, I bought some pretty nice things with money I got collecting cans and turning them in for cash at the recycling center.
At $0.10 per can or bottle, someone could make some decent cash without a lot of effort based on how much litter there is out there.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
You may not have heard about the side hustle at Backhoes R Us (BRU). BRU hates litterin' as much as it hates thievin'. They're working on their new catch phrase, "You plug 'em, we plant 'em." Conceptually, the anti-litter campaign works exactly like the anti-thievin' one by preventing recidivism. The research is not yet complete, but we're pretty sure that just as the police say that most crimes are committed by repeat offenders, we strongly suspect that results will show that most litterin' is done by repeat offenders. So next time you see a litterbug, just plug 'em and call BRU. Backhoes R Us takes pride in contributing to a cleaner, healthier, crime-free environment!

Semper_Fly

Steelhead
This thread is reminding me of the Cedar River during the summer months. Product of the environment I suppose but it's really sad. It's almost impossible to leave some of those spots without filling up a garbage bag with empty cans, plastic bottles and everything in-between.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
In some jurisdictions (such as Spokane County) police and code enforcement staff claim they are unable to prosecute littering even when there are several pieces of litter that document its origin because there's no reliable 'evidence chain of custody' to successfully proceed with prosecution....even when the litter consists of debris obviously dumped by the truckload on public land that contains many pieces of source identification.

The argument is, of course, that there's no proof that the same person(s) that dumped the load are the individuals identified by debris documents.

Texas has had considerable success in controlling litter by prosecuting such individuals on the basis that citizens are indeed responsible for the final disposition of their trash...and it's not unusual for those miscreants to finally admit they dumped a load of household trash in order to receive some leniency for a very significant penalty. The argument that you paid some bozo to responsibly dispose of your trash and he violated your trust doesn't fly in Texas.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A bottle bill would be a start.
I'm being serious when I say this and I can't believe I'm saying it. We should do the same for needles. The nearest town to me has a free needle handout and they litter every park and sidewalk in that town. It's harm reduction at the cost of health hazard to kids in these parks etc. If they had some value maybe we could collect more used ones.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
With good reason too…
Portland area is closing two bottle locations (one is a Safeway I believe) due to the active drug trade taking place there. Bottles…Cash…Drugs…
Can’t really blame ‘em.

I'd rather have addicts picking up litter then simply stealing to do their thing.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
See trash? Pick it up!

It is amazing how 20 minutes of trash collecting helps. If everyone did it...

WSDOT can and should fund more litter patrol crews.
I get it, but that’s like saying “everyone take your trash home with you and dispose of properly”.

No extra funds needed or needed to be found. 😉

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have responded to garbage complaints in another life. I responded from the public health perspective. In the end, it always falls on the property owner. In my experience, police will not use their time on it. I don't know how difficult it is to prosecute. I know that most landowners deal with it when called by the HD.

Litter on the roads falls to the owner of the right of way. That owner is a government agency.

I am a trash picker upper too. I have not started to take a bag. I should do that. It seems that there is litter in proportion to the number of poor people. That has been my experience. Look at places the homeless have lived.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This scene kind of reminds me of the gal we saw on Highway 101 at Crescent Lake. One of the most beautiful spots in our state. She was standing outside her rig and tossed a bunch of litter on the ground. My buddy who was driving stopped and yelled at her to pick up her litter. She just hopped in her rig and drove off. Unfortunately we were towing our raft and there wasn’t a place to turn around quickly and chase her.
SF

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I called a litter bug out at my local Safeway parking lot. She called the cops on me and went crazy.
No cops showed up and she left the scene of her crime.
It was kinda comical.

Zak

Legend
I'm being serious when I say this and I can't believe I'm saying it. We should do the same for needles. The nearest town to me has a free needle handout and they litter every park and sidewalk in that town. It's harm reduction at the cost of health hazard to kids in these parks etc. If they had some value maybe we could collect more used ones.
Good idea!

Zak

Legend
I'd rather have addicts picking up litter then simply stealing to do their thing.
When I lived there, Vermont had a bottle bill and New Hampshire did not. It was very striking to drive across the state line and immediately see much more roadside litter on the NH side of the line. One time after Vermont's reggae fest, I picked up 4 trash bags of beer cans and turned them in for for about $25.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
As a kid, I bought some pretty nice things with money I got collecting cans and turning them in for cash at the recycling center.
At $0.10 per can or bottle, someone could make some decent cash without a lot of effort based on how much litter there is out there.
SF
Unfortunately me and my buddies just bought cigarettes. Thank the lord I quit smoking at 26yo.