Bread Thread

flybill

Life of the Party
I started my own using this recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe. It turned out fine!

If you find yourself near Martha Lake South, feel free to swing by and I'll give you some of mine. Let me know a day inadvance and I'll make sure it is fed and happy.
Likewise you can have some of mine if you are in Tacoma.

While some people sometimes get a starter ready for baking in a week, 2-4 weeks seems to be more realistic. Mine didn't really start to thrive until month 2. There are plenty of things you can use your starter for prior to it being ready though.

I recommend videos from The Food Geek on YT. His master recipe is really solid.
I'll take one of you up on the starter.. Gary, I might head down next Monday to fish for sea run's.. will bring some beer or whiskey for either of you to trade for it! I have a bit of both! Cheers!

Reactions: Zak

Chucker

Steelhead

The crock looks pretty nice, but I have heard that the King Arthur starter is rather insipid. Buying a starter is kind of pointless anyway, because a. It’s really easy to make one, and b. after a while it will develop based on the conditions in your kitchen and the various yeasts and bacteria that it picks up from the flour you feed it with, and c. Everyone loves sharing their sourdough starters! I am happy to share mine with anyone who wants some.

dfilippetto

Just Hatched
Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 6.22.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-13 at 6.23.18 PM.pngI did! I’ve built 3 of them now.
that's awesome, I built one with my dad about 2 years ago. did it on weekends and whatnot, but it turned out real nice. I've done a ton of bread in it, but more recently, we did the entire thanksgiving meal for 14 people in it. had it over 1100 F the night before and used residual heat for the next 3 days. here's the HOT fire, and the turkey that it produced.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
that's awesome, I built one with my dad about 2 years ago. did it on weekends and whatnot, but it turned out real nice. I've done a ton of bread in it, but more recently, we did the entire thanksgiving meal for 14 people in it. had it over 1100 F the night before and used residual heat for the next 3 days. here's the HOT fire, and the turkey that it produced.

Hell yeah!! That rules. I cook everything in it, but pizza is my favorite. I really need to build an insulated door so I can use the next day residual heat.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
The crock looks pretty nice, but I have heard that the King Arthur starter is rather insipid. Buying a starter is kind of pointless anyway, because a. It’s really easy to make one, and b. after a while it will develop based on the conditions in your kitchen and the various yeasts and bacteria that it picks up from the flour you feed it with, and c. Everyone loves sharing their sourdough starters! I am happy to share mine with anyone who wants some.
My starter has it origins from the King Arthur starter many moons ago. I can assure you it is anything but insipid. Just presenting options, didn't expect to get flamed on fucking sourdough.

Chucker

Steelhead
My starter has it origins from the King Arthur starter many moons ago. I can assure you it is anything but insipid. Just presenting options, didn't expect to get flamed on fucking sourdough.

Apologies if that came across as a flame. It was not meant to be. My comment on the King Arthur starter came from a friend who bought some and found that it made bread that tasted just like it was made with dried yeast. He was very disappointed.

flybill

Life of the Party
Met with Zak today for my sourdough starter and how to use it! Awesome to learn from him on tips and tricks to feed it and all of the things you learn as you do it! Bought a couple of key things on Amazon this evening and will do a no knead bread tomorrow..

My starter is out on the kitchen counter and should be ready to use tomorrow!

20221218_221505.jpg20221218_221459.jpg
Bought some kitchen tools to use:
Screenshot_20221218_223036_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The new frying pan is replacing an old worn out non stick one.. I've been work on the "perfect" egg.. and Ramen eggs..

Back to the bread.. and starter..

I'm doing fondue on Christmas Eve, breaking our tradition of Chinese food and will attempt some baguettes.. I have baked bread for years, learned as a kid and always enjoyed it!

For tomorrow I'll do a no knead dough.. I don't have the scale yet, but will measure carefully or find my little one I've used to weigh fly lines..

There are bagels and hamburger buns and I got ton of recipes on Zaks recommendation of the

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe

Was going to do pancakes, but don't have buttermilk.. I could do a substitute for it..

Thanks to Zak for getting me going quick.. plus his starter is a few years old .. Appreciate it!

Here are a few more pictures from my Sourdough Starter 201 class..

20221218_132436.jpg20221218_134359.jpg20221218_134610.jpg20221218_135752.jpg20221218_135818.jpg20221218_132431.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Met with Zak today for my sourdough starter and how to use it! Awesome to learn from him on tips and tricks to feed it and all of the things you learn as you do it! Bought a couple of key things on Amazon this evening and will do a no knead bread tomorrow..

My starter is out on the kitchen counter and should be ready to use tomorrow!

View attachment 45539View attachment 45540
Bought some kitchen tools to use:
View attachment 45542

The new frying pan is replacing an old worn out non stick one.. I've been work on the "perfect" egg.. and Ramen eggs..

Back to the bread.. and starter..

I'm doing fondue on Christmas Eve, breaking our tradition of Chinese food and will attempt some baguettes.. I have baked bread for years, learned as a kid and always enjoyed it!

For tomorrow I'll do a no knead dough.. I don't have the scale yet, but will measure carefully or find my little one I've used to weigh fly lines..

There are bagels and hamburger buns and I got ton of recipes on Zaks recommendation of the

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe

Was going to do pancakes, but don't have buttermilk.. I could do a substitute for it..

Thanks to Zak for getting me going quick.. plus his starter is a few years old .. Appreciate it!

Here are a few more pictures from my Sourdough Starter 201 class..

View attachment 45544View attachment 45545View attachment 45546View attachment 45547View attachment 45548View attachment 45543
It was great to meet you today! Let us know how the bread turns out! FYI, the dough we started while you were here was rising really slowly, so it's in a cool place overnight and I'll bake it tomorrow.

I've had trouble with baguettes. Even the ones that look right aren't as airy yet chewy as the ones from a French bakery.

flybill

Life of the Party
It was great to meet you today! Let us know how the bread turns out! FYI, the dough we started while you were here was rising really slowly, so it's in a cool place overnight and I'll bake it tomorrow.

I've had trouble with baguettes. Even the ones that look right aren't as airy yet chewy as the ones from a French bakery.
I remember you said the baguettes were troublesome.. I'll accept the challenge! Haha!

On a different note, this is my pour this evening.. @Roper a lightly peated Irish whiskey!

20221218_221343.jpg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
That hard white whole wheat(HWW) from central Milling is a great flour. It's not too strong so makes a great addition to all kinds of things that call for plain AP or bread flour. I replace 10-20% of AP with the HWW in biscuits, quick breads, cookies, etc. to boost the flavor of baked goods.

Good luck in your adventure! To prevent annoyance, I suggest getting a straight sided jar to use (I use a pint mason jar, but that is sometimes too small for the amount of levain I need. A pint and a half jar would be perfect.)

flybill

Life of the Party
Considering using this to cook the bread tomorrow.. Yeah or neah! I also have a Camp Chef Dutch oven or can just do a pan..

Pluses or minuses! Vote early and often!
20221219_155652.jpg20221219_165618.jpg20221219_165842.jpg20221219_165848.jpg20221219_165611.jpg

Reactions: Zak