Bread Thread

Shad

Life of the Party
No need, I expect the Costco brand orgainc AP flour will do fine for most things. And its time for me to order some ABC+ and Hard White Whole Wheat direct from Central Milling.
I had been buying (and enjoying) Central Milling flour at Costco until last trip, when it had been replaced with the new, generic brand Costco distributes. So far, I'm not a fan. The bread I baked last week tasted almost like raisin bread (which isn't necessarily bad but was NOT what I was after). Same ingredients, but not the same product. Guess I'll have to start ordering online. Lame....

• Sad
Reactions: Zak

flybill

Life of the Party
Do you guys use a bread lame dough scoring blade?
Amazon product ASIN B08CSXMKL9
Or does a sharp knife work just as well? It hasn't for me and I'll probably just buy one, but curious on the thoughts of the group!

On a completely different topic, does anyone have a good empanada recipe? Particularily the dough.. I can get them at Rocky's in Redmond and they're fantastic! I highly recommend them, and their chimecura is awesome as well!

Rockys Empanadas

Thanks!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Buy the lame, it's way easier to score with. They are cheap and it takes many breads before you have to replace the blade. If you don't now, you'll wish you did whenever you do in the future.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Or does a sharp knife work just as well? It hasn't for me and I'll probably just buy one, but curious on the thoughts of the group!

On a completely different topic, does anyone have a good empanada recipe? Particularily the dough.. I can get them at Rocky's in Redmond and they're fantastic! I highly recommend them, and their chimecura is awesome as well!

Rockys Empanadas

Thanks!
Lame , yes. Curved and straight blades, though sometimes a very sharp chef knife works better.

Reactions: Zak

flybill

Life of the Party
Buy the lame, it's way easier to score with. They are cheap and it takes many breads before you have to replace the blade. If you don't now, you'll wish you did whenever you do in the future.
Lame , yes. Curved and straight blades, though sometimes a very sharp chef knife works better.
That's what I thought! Just wanted to confirm! I do have recently sharpened Henkels but have been cautious scoring the breads so far.. thanks guys!!

Zak

Legend

Rockys Empanadas

Thanks!
Yes, I use a lame for scoring/slashing the bread. A worthy single-purpose tool, I think. But a simple razor blade would work, too. I have heard of people using scissors.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I made this loaf mostly following the Tartine Country Loaf method. I deviated by using my 70:30 rye starter instead of the suggested 50:50 whole wheat starter. Everything else was as suggested. Our house is quite cold at the moment (60°, we're having furnace issues) so bulk went slow overnight for 13 hours. Then I shaped and did a warm 78° basket proof for 3.5 hours.
Dutch oven preheated to 500 degrees then lowered to 450. Baked in the DO for 20 minutes and on the rack for another 25.
IMG20221222165108.jpg
It made a delightful loaf of bread. It's really interesting how a few small changes between my process and the Tartine process result in drastically different loaves.
IMG20221222181803.jpg
Texture is really similar to my loaves, but it's much sweeter, creamier, milder in flavor. My loaves are more sour with robust whole grain flavor.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I baked 2 sourdough loaves yesterday which will likely be the last 2 that ever come out of my Dutch oven. My wife gifted me the Challenger bread pan and I'm stoked to drop some dough in it this week! Anyone else rocking one?

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Yeah I've got one. Love it! Had it for a year now. Love the pre cut parchment they sell. My wife got me the Challenger proof box and heater pad this year. Stay tuned. Look forward to hearing how you like the bread pan.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Yeah I've got one. Love it! Had it for a year now. Love the pre cut parchment they sell. My wife got me the Challenger proof box and heater pad this year. Stay tuned. Look forward to hearing how you like the bread pan.
I immediately wondered if they sold precut parchment, I'll be ordering some shortly!

Brod and Taylor proofer will likely be purchased at some point down the line as well.