Bread Thread

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Great shape and oven spring! How much flour for that loaf? (400g?)

1000g split in two, but I didn't measure when I split them after bulk and this one was definitely smaller than the other--good eye!

475g Cairn Spring's 1109
475g Cairn Spring's Glacier Peak
50G Central Milling Rye
3% salt
25% starter
75% H20

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I made Tartine's Slab bread for the first time from Bread Book. I'm typically on autopilot most of the time for my breads/doughs so this one was a little harder for. I've never made a poolish nor scalded flour. The latter being messy and odd. I actually ended up throwing the first batch out because I thought I screwed up because the dough seemed so wet and unicorporated but the second time i just let it mix much longer and it came together. Overall, this bread is actually really, really incredible. It's kind of a sandwich loaf, akin to focaccia. SUPER light, creamy and sweet. We didn't really have a plan for it, I just wanted to make something new but we ended up using it as a base for a fridge cleaning french bread pizza night with left over sauce from lasagna, some dulce de bourgogne, mozz, lemon marinated kale, shallots, onions and garlic. This morning we're going to make egg sammies with it. And yes, I know the photos are horrendus. While we have really nice mood lighting in our house (all our lights are 2200k-2700k) it makes for TERRIBLE phone photos. Next up, I'm really interested in incorporating ~5% scalded flour into my pizza dough.1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I made Tartine's Slab bread for the first time from Bread Book. I'm typically on autopilot most of the time for my breads/doughs so this one was a little harder for. I've never made a poolish nor scalded flour. The latter being messy and odd. I actually ended up throwing the first batch out because I thought I screwed up because the dough seemed so wet and unicorporated but the second time i just let it mix much longer and it came together. Overall, this bread is actually really, really incredible. It's kind of a sandwich loaf, akin to focaccia. SUPER light, creamy and sweet. We didn't really have a plan for it, I just wanted to make something new but we ended up using it as a base for a fridge cleaning french bread pizza night with left over sauce from lasagna, some dulce de bourgogne, mozz, lemon marinated kale, shallots, onions and garlic. This morning we're going to make egg sammies with it. And yes, I know the photos are horrendus. While we have really nice mood lighting in our house (all our lights are 2200k-2700k) it makes for TERRIBLE phone photos. Next up, I'm really interested in incorporating ~5% scalded flour into my pizza dough.View attachment 49841View attachment 49842View attachment 49843View attachment 49844
That's cool! I haven't tried that technique yet, but may now! The bread reminds me of a fugasse without being cut.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
That's cool! I haven't tried that technique yet, but may now! The bread reminds me of a fugasse without being cut.
I highly suggest it, I think you have the book? If not, I can photograph the pages for you.
My biggest advice would be you really have to keep it in the stand mixer for awhile to incorporate.

literally the next page is how to adapt it to fugasse ;)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Also not to sound like a broken record or televangelist but the Work Sharp KO knife sharpener is amazing. I never realized you could sharpen bread knives, but you can, and the WS literally took 30 seconds to make my bread knife be able to cut crusty bread as if it’s butter. This is a week after I cut myself almost to the bone because dull bread knife slipped because it was t sharp enough to pierce the crust of a boule

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I have the original tartine book, is that the one it comes from?

The scalding is akin to tangzhong, right?

flybill

Life of the Party

Some great tips! Many of you probably know and do these things! Will be making some sourdough bread soon, have been doing some great pizza with a sourdough crust! Cheers!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My typical boule recipe but dabbling with adding scalded flour/tangzhong

50% Glacier Peak
50% 1109
25% hydration
3% Salt
15% Starter
8% Scalded Edison White Wheat.

It’s hard to tell if there’s a difference without taking side by side. But it does taste a bit creamier. The other benefit of scald is that it supposedly helps it keep longer—we’ll see.

2B992F69-3AED-4E5A-9135-C1C84F5D1DB5.jpeg04577BEA-FB35-40C3-AD26-85A4ECE60097.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
My typical boule recipe but dabbling with adding scalded flour/tangzhong

50% Glacier Peak
50% 1109
25% hydration
3% Salt
15% Starter
8% Scalded Edison White Wheat.

It’s hard to tell if there’s a difference without taking side by side. But it does taste a bit creamier. The other benefit of scald is that it supposedly helps it keep longer—we’ll see.

View attachment 51544View attachment 51543
I really like the height you get on your boules. Mine don't come out that tall and are much wider with very similar dough weights. It's probably just a skill issue on my end, but I'm wondering about your proofing baskets.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I really like the height you get on your boules. Mine don't come out that tall and are much wider with very similar dough weights. It's probably just a skill issue on my end, but I'm wondering about your proofing baskets.

Ah man, I don't think I do anything special. I wonder if it's spreading in whatever pot/pan/dutch oven you're cooking in? I'll try and list out step by step what I do.

I TRY to feed my starter for 2-3 days before I plan to make bread, but honestly, sometimes I pull it out the night before and feed it. I feed my starter 1:1 with Cairnsprings Glacier Peak.

1. Final feed is the night before right before I go to bed

2. Wake up, mix flour and water. Autolyze for at least 30 minutes up to as long as I can depending on my meeting schedule

3. Mix in starter, rest for 30

4. Mix in Salt and add a little bassinage to help incorporate.

5. Transfer to a bigger bowl, fold every 30 minutes awhile. I dont have a hard and fast time. It's by feel at this point. During the winter it can be as long as 6 hours during the summer it can be as short as 6 hours

6. Transfer to counter, cut in half and preshape. Cover and rest for 10 minutes

7. Final fold and prep and roll into brotform. It isn't a special one, I think I got it from Amazon.
IMG_6617.jpeg

8. Next day heat up oven for 30 minutes (as hot as you can get it), then put in cast iron dutch oven to pre heat (or whatever your going to cook in). I use this old cast iron dutch oven we found at my grandmothers after she passed (it has two uses--bread and popcorn).
IMG_6618.jpeg

9. Pull bread out, score and place in dutch oven

10. Cook for 20 minutes with lid on, 20 without. Make sure bread is somewhere around 210* (I think?)

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Ah man, I don't think I do anything special. I wonder if it's spreading in whatever pot/pan/dutch oven you're cooking in? I'll try and list out step by step what I do.

I TRY to feed my starter for 2-3 days before I plan to make bread, but honestly, sometimes I pull it out the night before and feed it. I feed my starter 1:1 with Cairnsprings Glacier Peak.

1. Final feed is the night before right before I go to bed

2. Wake up, mix flour and water. Autolyze for at least 30 minutes up to as long as I can depending on my meeting schedule

3. Mix in starter, rest for 30

4. Mix in Salt and add a little bassinage to help incorporate.

5. Transfer to a bigger bowl, fold every 30 minutes awhile. I dont have a hard and fast time. It's by feel at this point. During the winter it can be as long as 6 hours during the summer it can be as short as 6 hours

6. Transfer to counter, cut in half and preshape. Cover and rest for 10 minutes

7. Final fold and prep and roll into brotform. It isn't a special one, I think I got it from Amazon.
View attachment 51587

8. Next day heat up oven for 30 minutes (as hot as you can get it), then put in cast iron dutch oven to pre heat (or whatever your going to cook in). I use this old cast iron dutch oven we found at my grandmothers after she passed (it has two uses--bread and popcorn).
View attachment 51588

9. Pull bread out, score and place in dutch oven

10. Cook for 20 minutes with lid on, 20 without. Make sure bread is somewhere around 210* (I think?)
That's VERY similar to how I do things. I suppose I just need to make more boules and work on my shape skills and proof skills. I tend to make more batards because we like that the slices are more uniform in size: better for sandwiches and they come out the max size our toaster can accommodate.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
That's VERY similar to how I do things. I suppose I just need to make more boules and work on my shape skills and proof skills. I tend to make more batards because we like that the slices are more uniform in size: better for sandwiches and they come out the max size our toaster can accommodate.
To be honest, I actually don't make a ton of boules either. I think lately I've just been on autopilot and halfway through I realize "oh, thats what I'm making?" Normally, I make a sammie loaf, which is really similar but 95% hydration and I think 20% levain. The boules just end up being for bread and butter/jam whereas the sammie loaves are so much more versatile.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
To be honest, I actually don't make a ton of boules either. I think lately I've just been on autopilot and halfway through I realize "oh, thats what I'm making?" Normally, I make a sammie loaf, which is really similar but 95% hydration and I think 20% levain. The boules just end up being for bread and butter/jam whereas the sammie loaves are so much more versatile.
You doing the Sammie in a tin? Like a Pullman loaf?

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
From what I've seen of your batards, I did it hard to believe you're having issues with boules. I've found in my case that the overnight ferment in the fridge maximizes my vertical oven spring.