Bread Thread

flybill

Life of the Party
Looks like maybe that dough could use a couple more "lift and folds." Or are those pictures of the mixed dough prior to any lifts and folds?
I will do more lift and folds.. open to all info! Thanks Zak!!

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I will do more lift and folds.. open to all info! Thanks Zak!!
By the last lift and fold, the dough should feel smooth, not lumpy and not have dry spots of unincorporated flour. At least, that's how I do it, YMMV.

I left the dough we started yesterday on the counter in my covered clay baker overnight and slashed and baked it this morning. It turned out great. I think the starter may be a little slow to get going, because I recently revitalized it and our house stays pretty cool.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter

flybill

Life of the Party
By the last lift and fold, the dough should feel smooth, not lumpy and not have dry spots of unincorporated flour. At least, that's how I do it, YMMV.

I left the dough we started yesterday on the counter in my covered clay baker overnight and slashed and baked it this morning. It turned out great. I think the starter may be a little slow to get going, because I recently revitalized it and our house stays pretty cool.
I did knead it a bit.. not much, but to incorpate everything. It's still in the fridge, but looks great! Will cook it this morning, will turn on the oven shortly. Need to reseason my dutch oven first. A friend helped me clean it up. Or I may just use two or three loaf pans!

I feed my starter after using it, and it's on FIRE!! Will post a picture, but it's ALIVE! Thanks again Zak! i have made bread for decades, just never used a sourdough starter.. don't know why I waited so long to try it!

Cheers!

flybill

Life of the Party
20221220_052833.jpg20221220_052839.jpg
20221220_053227.jpg
My starter more than doubled.. I probably overfed it.. if that matters.. the bread needs to be folded over and rise again.. almost there, bit has a few lumps..

It will be baked today though! In the Dutch oven! Yippee Kay Eh!! Mother Truckers! Now where are my shoes and twinkies!! 🎅🎄

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
Turned out very nice! Haven't had a piece yet, but will shortly! Thanks for all the help and advice! And my starter is ready for something else.. other than I don't feel great, the flu or ebola.. not Covid thank God.. will tweak it bit next time, bit very happy with it! Cheers!20221220_113327.jpg20221220_113429.jpg20221220_113555.jpg20221220_113243.jpg20221220_103832.jpg20221220_103818.jpg20221220_093139.jpg

flybill

Life of the Party
Next time I will let it rise for an hour or so after I transfer it to the Dutch oven and before I put it in the oven! It's a little denser than I hoped for, but tangy and delicious with a crisp outside!! Very happy with the outcome! @Zak thank you for the starter! The Covid Starter!! I taught myself to roll sushi and make Japan Ramen, along with the Ramen eggs!!

Got more flour on the way! Used half a 5lb bag on it and feeding my starter! Plus a scale and bowl scrapers! Merry Christmas to me!! Sourdough pancakes for Christmas morning and English muffins if I don't go and fish!
20221220_131123.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Next time I will let it rise for an hour or so after I transfer it to the Dutch oven and before I put it in the oven! It's a little denser than I hoped for, but tangy and delicious with a crisp outside!! Very happy with the outcome! @Zak thank you for the starter! The Covid Starter!! I taught myself to roll sushi and make Japan Ramen, along with the Ramen eggs!!

Got more flour on the way! Used half a 5lb bag on it and feeding my starter! Plus a scale and bowl scrapers! Merry Christmas to me!! Sourdough pancakes for Christmas morning and English muffins if I don't go and fish!
View attachment 45808
Looks great, Bill, and I bet it tastes great, too!

On another note, I went to restock my flour supply at Costco today and they no longer carry the Central Milling 2-pack of AP flour. They have an inhouse brand of organic AP flour in 2 5lb bags, instead. I picked that up and will try it, but I wish CC still cariied the Central Milling flour.

flybill

Life of the Party
Looks great, Bill, and I bet it tastes great, too!

On another note, I went to restock my flour supply at Costco today and they no longer carry the Central Milling 2-pack of AP flour. They have an inhouse brand of organic AP flour in 2 5lb bags, instead. I picked that up and will try it, but I wish CC still cariied the Central Milling flour.
Yeah, I didn't see it on the Costco website.. if I see some at Redmond or Woodinville Costco I'll let you know or pick some up for you!

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I didn't see it on the Costco website.. if I see some at Redmond or Woodinville Costco I'll let you know or pick some up for you!
No need, I expect the Costco brand orgainc AP flour will do fine for most things. And its time for me to order some ABC+ and Hard White Whole Wheat direct from Central Milling.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
@flybill
Bagman on the old site posted this sourdough pancake recipe that looks good (no buttermilk required):

I use a Alaskan sourdough pancake recipe off the websites
Originating in a Alaska, this recipe was popular in the late 1800s, when a sourdough starter was the common and reliable way to provide leavening for bread products. Preparation begins the night before for these fluffy pancakes.

Recipe Ingredients:
1 cup Sourdough Starter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cooking Directions:
Place the sourdough starter in a nonreactive mixing bowl, add the flour and water. Stir and leave, loosely covered, overnight in a warm place.
The following morning, stir the mixture and remove 1 cup, adding it to your sourdough starter in the refrigerator.
To the warm sourdough mixture, add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto a hot griddle. Cook pancakes until dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until lightly golden brown

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
No need, I expect the Costco brand orgainc AP flour will do fine for most things. And its time for me to order some ABC+ and Hard White Whole Wheat direct from Central Milling.
I'm thinking about trying Cairnspring, but the cost for small amounts is prohibitive and I can't get through 50 lb bags fast enough. Would you be interested in splitting a 50 lber? In place of the ABC+?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm thinking about trying Cairnspring, but the cost for small amounts is prohibitive and I can't get through 50 lb bags fast enough. Would you be interested in splitting a 50 lber? In place of the ABC+?
Probably not. I am only baking about once a week these days and it would take me a long time to go through 25lbs!

flybill

Life of the Party
I'm going to check out Grocery Outlet and Restaraunt Depot and see what they have.. a 5lb or 10lb bag is enough for me for the moment.. I'll be doing sourdough pancakes and have some buttermilk now.. there are some substitutions for buttlermilk.. googled it last night.. bascially milk and vinegar if I remember correctly!

@Zak and others, the King Arthur flour site is awesome! It will take me quite a while to get through those.. a friend I worked with at Total Wine, well her husband is sending me a sourdough English muffin recipe and the King Arthur site has one. Looking forward to comparing notes. Am going to start a journal to keep track of what works and how to improve.

For this first loaf, I was just thrilled how it browned on top.. the underside was a little too much but I have some ideas on how to deal with that. Really that's part of the fun! I just got a jumpstart with all of the help from all ya all! Cheers!
20221220_143132.jpg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I did two 50lb bags (glacier peak and 1109). I store them in cambro bins in my basement (a bit colder down there). I ordered it last January and am over halfway through it and it’s still as fresh and delicious as when I bought it.