Bread Thread

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Another week, another couple of loaves. These two might be about as good as I've ever made.

All flour from Central Milling

560 g ABC+
120 g white rye
120 g hard white wheat
600 g water
18 g salt
160 g levain (100% hydration, 30% dark rye)

90 minute autolyse followed by thoroughly mixing/kneading in the levain. 4 sets of stretch and folds spaced by 30 minutes. 2 hours of bulk ferment after folding at about 75 degrees.

Dough was then divided and shaped into 2 batards before an overnight rest in the fridge.

Baked at 460 degrees: 25 minutes covered in the Dutch oven with icecubes, then 20ish minutes on the oven rack.
IMG20221120100347.jpgIMG20221120115453.jpgIMG20221120131705.jpgIMG20221120132839.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hard to let loaves like those go stale! What are the details?
Ha! I know. For some reason it makes me laugh though.

~42% cairn springs glacier peak
~42% cairn springs 1109
~5% buckwheat
25% starter
75% h20

And then just standard procedure.

I’ve got some good dough bulking right now for Detroit pan pizzas for dinner tomorrow.

I’ve tried a lot of flours over the past 5 years and it’s all cairn springs all the time now (except my buckwheat and rye I get locally)

Looks like I only need one for stuff so can crack into the other :)

Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter

~42% cairn springs 1109
~5% buckwheat
25% starter
75% h20

I’ve got some good dough bulking right now for Detroit pan pizzas for dinner tomorrow.

I’ve tried a lot of flours over the past 5 years and it’s all cairn springs all the time now (except my buckwheat and rye I get locally)

I bet those are damn tasty loaves. I need to test out some cairn springs. I've been all central Milling for the last 2 years.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter

~42% cairn springs 1109
~5% buckwheat
25% starter
75% h20

How do you like to shape your boules? I've had less than than ideal results the last handful of times I went that way instead of batards.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I bet those are damn tasty loaves. I need to test out some cairn springs. I've been all central Milling for the last 2 years.
I was until I had Cairn Springs. I almost immediately got rid of all my CM. With being said, lately I’m more of a pizza guy then a bread guy. And when I do make bread it’s typically 100% hydration Sammie loads. The cairn springs still shines. Sometimes they do sales which helps offset the shipping

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
How do you like to shape your boules? I've had less than than ideal results the last handful of times I went that way instead of batards.

1. Pull it out of the the bowl that I’m bulking in
2. Cut in half and use a bench scraper to corral the boules into nice circular balls
3. Cover and rest for 10-15 (I tend to forget and it goes longer)
4. Flip upside down
5, take the top edge, maybe a 1/4 and fold it towards your body
6. Do the limp inch from each side and fold in, probably ends up being 3 on each side (I don’t know what this is called?) then from the bottom roll it up and get a good scrape on the bottom to seal the edge.

I totally understand this may not make sense, let me see if I can find a video how I do it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Some night before Thanksgiving Detroit style pizzas: cheese, pepp, and kale, pine nuts and tallegio.

50% glacier peak
50% 1109
3% salt
2% olive oil
19% h20

Key to the frico is the blue steel pans.
And yes, I know these are literally the worst photos possible.
DF805969-F930-4DD9-B981-2C52247A78B4.jpeg98662AFA-E042-4D80-9CB5-BCE7F7E78964.jpeg7912FD7D-6759-424E-BA3D-5F62D82F5B67.jpegAA898B2F-30F1-497B-83DE-C12321A0BAF2.jpeg