Bread Thread

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Second boule baked today from the 8 quarts of dough that I put in the fridge last Tuesday. Much better taste and crumb than Wednesday's bread. I let it rise much longer after shaping, almost two hours, because I got distracted.
View attachment 36072

Six more loaves to go from the big batch of dough! I'm liking this "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day"method; it is very easy and quick to cut off a piece of dough, shape it, and pop it in the oven.
Refrigerator fermentation rocks! A little bit of planning goes a long way for better bread.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I wanna SBS for the pumpkin looking shaping.
Way cool!
It's super easy! Just shape a nice tight boule and let it final proof in a banneton a little longer than usual, we want less oven spring for this so it doesn't rip itself apart with no scoring.

When it come times to bake, cut 4 lengths of butcher's twine and toss them in flour so they don't stick to the boule. Drape them over the top of the banneton, splitting into 8ths like pizza slices. Put a cutting board/peel on top of the twine-banneton and invert.

Tie the twine so that it loosely wraps around the boule, repeat until all tied. Bake as usual. Some like to place a cinnamon stick in the top to look like a stem.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
It's super easy! Just shape a nice tight boule and let it final proof in a banneton a little longer than usual, we want less oven spring for this so it doesn't rip itself apart with no scoring.

When it come times to bake, cut 4 lengths of butcher's twine and toss them in flour so they don't stick to the boule. Drape them over the top of the banneton, splitting into 8ths like pizza slices. Put a cutting board/peel on top of the twine-banneton and invert.

Tie the twine so that it loosely wraps around the boule, repeat until all tied. Bake as usual. Some like to place a cinnamon stick in the top to look like a stem.

consciousness-709143.jpg

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Better half tried her first endeavor with making gluten free foccacia bread. Topped with fresh ground rosemary with garlic olive oil, it was delish dipped in more garlic olive oil and Colvatta balalmic vinegar! A little Havarti cheese on the side. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Better half tried her first endeavor with making gluten free foccacia bread. Topped with fresh ground rosemary with garlic olive oil, it was delish dipped in more garlic olive oil and Colvatta balalmic vinegar! A little Havarti cheese on the side. (y)
Looks great from the outside!
What's the texture/crumb look like? My brother has celiac and I'd like to be able to bake him something because so far I've not made anything good enough.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks great from the outside!
What's the texture/crumb look like? My brother has celiac and I'd like to be able to bake him something because so far I've not made anything good enough.
Texture was moist and not crumbly. Held together well.
Recipe came from this cookbook.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I am limiting my salt to keep my formerly :p diseased kidneys functioning normally. But 🎶 anticipation... 🎶

And please provide ingredients and instructions
My attempt was the sausage roll posted above. There is a much prettier version with a recipe here:

For some reason, Hemplers Andouille sausage has been on sale at QFC for months. I've been using it a lot and like the level of spice. It freezes well, too.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
You gotta love the fridge ferment. I can't even imagine the tang after two weeks.
Surprisingly, it was not super tangy. I started this dough with yeast (and a couple tablespoons of starter). My sourdough only loaves baked after one night in the fridge are tangier.