Bread Thread

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the response. A couple of batches ago I tried a 50/50 mixture of whole wheat and regular bread flour. It certainly had the “ heft “ to it but we didn’t like the taste as much. Still very good but not the best.
I think I’ve gotten spoiled baking bread - the worst I ever made was WAY better than anything store bought. You folks convinced me it was possible and I thank you all!,
I like mine in the 20-30% whole grain range. You can really alter flavor depending on which flour you add, keep playing around, I bet you'll find 9ne you like

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm trying the "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" thing. I doubled the book's basic boule recipe and added a couple tablespoons of sourdough starter. Here it is one hour into a two hour rise, after which it will go in a dorm fridge. Then, the plan is, I'll cut off a grapefruit sized chunk whenever I want a loaf of fresh bread for dinner. It can stay in the fridge for 14 days, and there's enough for 8 smallish loaves. I'll report back.
PXL_20221005_041138684.jpg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I'm trying the "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" thing. I doubled the book's basic boule recipe and added a couple tablespoons of sourdough starter. Here it is one hour into a two hour rise, after which it will go in a dorm fridge. Then, the plan is, I'll cut off a grapefruit sized chunk whenever I want a loaf of fresh bread for dinner. It can stay in the fridge for 14 days, and there's enough for 8 smallish loaves. I'll report back.
View attachment 35379
I'd be interested to know how that goes and if there are noticeable differences from first loaf to last loaf

Reactions: Zak

Chucker

Steelhead
View attachment 35379

My experience with that recipe/technique was that the loaves were too small and that after the first few days they didn't rise enough after shaping, so you got heavy, gummy, bread. Definitely a taste difference as the fermentation went along though.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
After a night in the fridge:
PXL_20221005_210944435.jpg

Made a smallish boule in the Lodge combo cooker. The grapefruit sized ball of dough did not rise much in 40 minutes in the counter, but it got some decent oven spring:

PXL_20221005_225148511.jpg

Pretty tasty. The crumb did not have airy holes in it like my sourdough, but it did not taste dense or heavy. More like sandwich bread. Very little sourdough tang, I'm hoping to taste more of that as the dough ages in the fridge.

PXL_20221005_235348823.jpg

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
After a night in the fridge:
View attachment 35511

Made a smallish boule in the Lodge combo cooker. The grapefruit sized ball of dough did not rise much in 40 minutes in the counter, but it got some decent oven spring:

View attachment 35512

Pretty tasty. The crumb did not have airy holes in it like my sourdough, but it did not taste dense or heavy. More like sandwich bread. Very little sourdough tang, I'm hoping to taste more of that as the dough ages in the fridge.

View attachment 35513
I've been getting good crumb with a warm proof, doubling in size, followed by an overnight ferment in the banneton in the fridge. Might be worth a try.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been getting good crumb with a warm proof, doubling in size, followed by an overnight ferment in the banneton in the fridge. Might be worth a try.
A banneton is on my birthday list! Do you find that wet doughs need the fabric cover in the banneton to keep from sticking to the rattan, or is a coating of flour sufficient to make the dough release when you turn it over?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I've done both. For my sourdough, I tend to flirt with the line of how much hydration my flour and skill can handle so I like the cloth as extra insurance. I do LOVE the pattern the rattan gives the loaves though. I dust with a 50:50 mix of AP and rice flour to help encourage release. Some people use bread/AP flour only, others rice flour only.

For boules you can place a tea towel in a bowl and dust with flour in place of a real banneton.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Actually the only time I stuck a loaf was with a fabric liner. With either a lined or unlined banneton, the key is to use ample flour. I use to use rice flour, but it just ends up being one more damn thing in the pantry. Whatever flour I'm using at the time works just fine.

Russell

Steelhead
What are you bread makers using to store your bread to keep it fresh?
Did my first couple loafs and now am trying to figure out how long it can last.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
What are you bread makers using to store your bread to keep it fresh?
Did my first couple loafs and now am trying to figure out how long it can last.
I use a countertop bread box. Cheap bamboo thing from Amazon but will hold 2+ loaves of bread and does a decent job at maintaining moisture while not making the crust gooey. The biggest thing is to make sure the bread is 100% cool before slicing, it'll stay fresh twice as long as a bread cut warm.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
"The biggest thing is to make sure the bread is 100% cool before slicing, "
Is this really realistic?

... Really, there are few things better than freshly baked bread, not long out of the oven, smeared with a good Irish butter. How do you possibly wait for it to cool. Course, home-baked bread lasts abut a day and a half in our household, so staleness is not generally an issue.

Cheers

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I don't, but I wish I had one! It would double as a pizza oven.
My dad salvaged a pile of old bricks out of the Willamette about 20 years ago and also somewhere down the line got a whole bunch of fire bricks somewhere. It's a huge pile of bricks stored away on the back 40. So were thinking about finally building an oven... possibly something like this.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
My wife saw something on Instagram and asked if I could make it so I gave it a go.
Pumpkin sourdough bread. Made with pumpkin puree and pumpkin seeds. I shaped a regular batards with half and a pumpkin shape with the other.
IMG20221009130758.jpgIMG20221009145820.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Second boule baked today from the 8 quarts of dough that I put in the fridge last Tuesday. Much better taste and crumb than Wednesday's bread. I let it rise much longer after shaping, almost two hours, because I got distracted.
PXL_20221010_004159987.jpg

Six more loaves to go from the big batch of dough! I'm liking this "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day"method; it is very easy and quick to cut off a piece of dough, shape it, and pop it in the oven.