Bread Thread

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I made these with Iveofione's white bread recipe (without bread pans). It came out a bit underdone, and didn't seem to have much oven spring, despite the steam. It was a nice easy one-day recipe, though and I'll probably try it again, but will mix the bread flour with durum flour and perhaps up the yeast a bit.

Attachments

• Ive's Bread.jpg
    Ive's Bread.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 9

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Does cake count as bread? I didn't want to start a whole other thread so here we go.
Oldest daughters birthday today, we found out the place we normally get a custom cake isn't doing them anymore cause of lack of labor. Got a referral to a cake maker that wanted 160$ for a 8" round cake with 30% added charge for last minute o_O So I made a cake... She wanted strawberry lemon. Lemon velvet cake, strawberry filling, lemon vanilla buttercream fr20220530_112944.jpgosting (lemon + vanilla = blue moon flavor) all from scratch.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Does cake count as bread? I didn't want to start a whole other thread so here we go.
Oldest daughters birthday today, we found out the place we normally get a custom cake isn't doing them anymore cause of lack of labor. Got a referral to a cake maker that wanted 160$ for a 8" round cake with 30% added charge for last minute o_O So I made a cake... She wanted strawberry lemon. Lemon velvet cake, strawberry filling, lemon vanilla buttercream frView attachment 16135osting (lemon + vanilla = blue moon flavor) all from scratch.

With the effort, care, and love, this is far better than any store-bought or even bakery cake could ever be. Well done!!

Happy birthday to your daughter.

Cheers

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oldest daughters birthday today, we found out the place we normally get a custom cake isn't doing them anymore cause of lack of labor. Got a referral to a cake maker that wanted 160$ for a 8" round cake with 30% added charge for last minute o_O So I made a cake... She wanted strawberry lemon. Lemon velvet cake, strawberry filling, lemon vanilla buttercream frView attachment 16135osting (lemon + vanilla = blue moon flavor) all from scratch.
Screw that cake maker-has greed become just boundless?

She got a memorable cake and one better than that built by an opportunistic charlatan eager to turn a quick buck.

Good on you-the next one will be even easier!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Any thoughts on Einkorn flour? I tried it but wasn’t too excited about it. View attachment 19232
I know a lot of people like it, usually as a portion of the flour. I've yet to bake with it. Ive had bread made with it that I thought was delicious though (Scandinavian style rugbrod).

Of these ancient wheat/wheat adjacent grains, my favorites are in order: rye, khorasan, spelt, einkorn, durum/semolina, buckwheat, teff

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
413 g water, 540 g flour, 1.5tsp yeast, 1.5 tsp sea salt. I thought it was a bit too dense. Taste? Not sure. Any suggestions?
It doesn't have enough protein (gluten) to build strength on its own so will turn Give it a shot with a mix of 50/50 or 33/66 with bread flour.

Or mix it with rye and make a 100% rye style loaf that is supposed to be dense.