Area 9 Opener

JayB

Steelhead
Thanks for the information and context! Interesting to see the variance in marine survival estimates.

Wouldn't have predicted that smolts from the Samish would have 3X the marine survival rate as smolts from the Snohomish/Stilly systems, or that smolts from the South Sound would have the same marine survival estimates as smolts outmigrating from the Quilayute system but there must be data to support these predictions.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02307/wdfw02307.pdf

JayB

Steelhead
Interesting context regarding the data for Snohomish system:

"Snohomish River A total of 1,529,000 (rounded from 1,529,358) coho smolts are estimated to have emigrated from the Snohomish River in 2021 (Table 1). Coho smolt production in the Snohomish River is based on a mark-recapture estimate of smolt abundance from two smolt traps, one operated on the Skykomish River (river mile 26.5) and the second on the Snoqualmie River (R.M. 12.2). Traps are operated and results provided by the Tulalip Tribes (D. Holmgren, personal communication). In 2021, an estimate is only available for the Snoqualmie River trap. The estimate for the Skykomish trap is based on the recent (four year) average percent production in the Snoqualmie relative to the Skykomish. Smolt trap estimates for the Skykomish and Snoqualmie rivers are summed and further expanded for rearing downstream of the trap locations in the Snohomish River (per Zillges 1977). Coho smolt production from the Snohomish in 2021 was a 17% decrease from the average (geometric mean) of 1,841,791 smolts between 2002 and 2021 ocean entry years (Figure 6)."

Must be measuring 26.5 miles upstream from the mouth of the Snohomish, since 26.5 miles above Sky puts you a couple of miles above Reiter and not too far below the forks. Must be using 12.5 miles from the mouth of the Snoqualmie for the other trap, since the mouth of the Snoqualmie is ~23 miles from the mouth of the Snohomish.

johnnyboy

Steelhead
If I remember correctly, 2015 was the last time we were able to fish MA9, as well as MA8-2, in October.

I wonder what numbers it would take to open it back up, since 2015 wasn't a spectacular season numbers wise.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If I remember correctly, 2015 was the last time we were able to fish MA9, as well as MA8-2, in October.

I wonder what numbers it would take to open it back up, since 2015 wasn't a spectacular season numbers wise.

You are correct, 2015 was the last time MA 9 was open in October. They closed things early if I recall due to the blob and 3 lb coho.
They overreached in 2016 and shut things down way early, then 2017 was shore fishing only and another early shutdown.
Details courtesy of the WayBack Machine.
Sorry for the poor image quality.
SF

7231E8D3-9801-43D2-A7AD-195CD5274BBB.jpeg2EFFD981-6618-40F9-BCBD-060D4C25B996.jpeg934F93D5-5997-453F-9F7F-EF548A89D8B3.jpeg285C7BF4-3EBA-4EA5-BF75-7AB5C61D5DFF.jpegD0CFA153-D4BB-47A7-AE0D-B13C843421C5.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Looking at morning tides for some possible fishing on Sunday.
Is low tide really 1.49’ at 5:18? 😂
SF

418CF18B-B72C-422F-9888-FC576D1F48DD.jpeg

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
You are correct, 2015 was the last time MA 9 was open in October. They closed things early if I recall due to the blob and 3 lb coho.
They overreached in 2016 and shut things down way early, then 2017 was shore fishing only and another early shutdown.
Details courtesy of the WayBack Machine.
Sorry for the poor image quality.
SF
I was thinking it was 2015. I remember the overall numbers were low but the fish were along the beaches in big numbers...just tiny fish. I had been releasing all my fish for a couple trips because my catch card only had one spot left and I didn't want to buy a new one in mid October. Was fishing a beach alone one day and caught a 6.5, 7.5, and my personal best 12 lb coho on October 23rd (iirc). Released that last big wild fish (legal to keep in 2015), reeled my line up, and called it a season.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Is it often off like that? I normally look at the graph vs the texts.

I’ve seen it a few times. It’s off at one of the beaches you’ve been fishing as well.
I always look at the text so I know the time for changes.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Slow would be an understatement for today.

Nearly 6 hours fished at the usual MA 9 spots. One wild keeper landed and released.

Not a single additional big fish bite….

At least I added 1 to my personal record, wild keeper sized fish caught in a row count…..

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
When coach @jasmillo suggested moving, I followed. Especially when the lime green reel gets deployed :)

Landed 2 keepers, it's about time!

View attachment 26332

I was happy you were able to bring home some fish! I also broke my wild streak. I’ll take it, especially considering the dismal start this morning. Fishing remains tough though. Luckily, we were able to capitalize on the few big bites we got today. Hoping for better tides and fishing in the coming weeks!

FCCD0E30-F9E5-4137-8826-A9B17BAD2B1B.jpeg

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
When you guys get a legal fish early what is the best method to keep it if you are not near a cooler while you continue to fish? Kiss of death question I know.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Bury it in the sand or put it behind a log in the shade and cover it with wet seaweed.
SF

Bagman

Steelhead
Bury it in the sand or put it behind a log in the shade and cover it with wet seaweed.
SF
I do as Stonedfish suggested but I put my in a plastic bag first. I find it helps from the birds getting at them. I will keep fishing for about 5-10 minutes just in case it’s a school swimming by. Then I gut and cut the Gills out.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
When you guys get a legal fish early what is the best method to keep it if you are not near a cooler while you continue to fish? Kiss of death question I know.
I usually string mine close up to my wader belt and keep it in the water with me while I continue to fish.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I string it to my wader belt if I am a good distance from my truck and will not be headed back for more than an hour. Otherwise, I bag it and put it in my backpack. I always keep a cooler in the truck when I head out so I’ll bring it there if it is close by.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
String it up to my wader belt as well. I don't bring a cooler since that's bad luck.
Bleed immediately, gut later.

It gets interesting when you're wrangling the second one on to the beach with that fish on a string behind you mixed in a mess of line and seaweed :)

Last edited: