Area 9 Opener

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Anyone else happen to notice a fair amount of geese flocks flying by this weekend?
The best season is right around the corner. 😉
SF
Drove from tri cities to ellensburg Friday (actually eburg to tri back to eburg) and saw roughly ten groups of 30+ birds, appeared local to me but still grouped up and moving around.

Lett

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Been an interesting season. I was thinking earlier on that everything was a little slow "getting started" this year in. Lots of shakers and the occasional small clipped/unclipped fish.

Flipping the switch, I fished a MA 9 beach this morning where, under a bright sun and a less than optimum tide, I helped this clipped fish make it onto the beach.

Area 9 coho 5 Sep.jpg
I understand Coho have a huge metabolism as they put on weight the year prior to spawning and then stop eating as they gather near their home rivers ( or pens). This fish was full of eggs and had a completely empty stomach. Seems early, but... are some PS proper stocks going "terminal" already?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Looking at the checks, it appears MA 10 is currently fishing better then MA 9. Hopefully that will change with the uptick in the straits numbers.
There was certainly a lot of effort in MA 10 yesterday. I've been seeing a good number of reports of fish being caught with 55'+ of cable out.
SF

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I hit it last night for a few hours after work. Lots of wind and salad at first but the last hour was decent. Hit a pod of adults and had a grab on almost every cast for a solid 10 minutes or so. Lost a good sized one that ate near the end of my cast and landed a standard sized wild one a few casts later. Lots of herring around and the schools were getting smashed by smaller and bigger coho and presumably juvie blackmouth. Saw a gear guy land a somewhat colored up 8 poundish king as well.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
It started with a resounding thud for me today. Could say the worst day of the season. Close to 8 hours, 2 MA’s including 9 and not a single confirmed big fish bump.

It’ll get better…probably around October 15th :).

That is some tough fishing, especially for this time of year.
Boats in 10 are doing well. Some fish on the beaches in 9 but not a lot. You have to think that based on the 10 results many are slipping in deeper water. I wish tomorrows low was later, but hopefully we’ll have some clouds.
Without the last week of September and no October, this year really flew by.
SF

Lett

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Hit the beach at sunrise . The usual rip did not look that good, so I switched sides. It was a slow morning nonetheless, with one solitary unclipped fish to the beach around 0930 . About two hours after the tide turned, things lit up for those throwing gear, and continued in fits and starts. Buzzbombs ruled the day. I tried lots of different flies/ presentations , but to no avail. A older gentleman who fishes from a lawn chair at the water's edge was top rod with 6 fish to the beach and had support team/ cheering section (really). I left at 2:00 humbled and impressed.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Hit the beach at sunrise . The usual rip did not look that good, so I switched sides. It was a slow morning nonetheless, with one solitary unclipped fish to the beach around 0930 . About two hours after the tide turned, things lit up for those throwing gear, and continued in fits and starts. Buzzbombs ruled the day. I tried lots of different flies/ presentations , but to no avail. A older gentleman who fishes from a lawn chair at the water's edge was top rod with 6 fish to the beach and had support team/ cheering section (really). I left at 2:00 humbled and impressed.
It’s been an interesting 3 years. I’m not much of a change flies/change beaches guy since I’ve generally had success just sticking it out and fishing things I have confidence in. That recipe doesn’t seem to be working like it used to though. Who knows, tomorrow things could change? I’ll be out there, hope to see ya Arnie. I’m gonna squeeze every last drop out of both sides of MA9 this weekend before heading to less idyllic locations.

Bagman

Steelhead
I’ve watch that guy land a few fish when no one on the beach me as well were skunked. I’m happy for him I only wish I will be fishing as well when I reach his age. right now Im think that just maybe next season. 🤔

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Pretty weak fishing where I was today.
Hooked up one and promptly lost it. Saw one other fish caught. For the amount of people fishing with good water movement and cloud cover there should have been more fish for this time of the year.
It then got weedy, hot and sunny so I called it a wrap on my MA 9 season.
SF

Last edited:

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Yeah, the fat lady is fixin' to sing for me, too. I got a big helping of humble pie this season. This was my first beach season in retirement and I had big plans...heck I had mentally reorganized my garage freezer to make room for all the fish I was gonna bring home ;)

I made the drive down to Whidbey 11 times since the second week of August and in that time (on the negative side) I:
- offered my Outbound Short to the kelp gods
- got stopped for speeding
- wasn't paying attention, got knocked off my feet by a wave and then pounded by the following waves :p
- had my net ripped off my back by another wave
- tagged a deer that should have used the underpass rather than a dark curve at 5 am.

but on the positive side I :
- didn't get a speeding ticket.
- met some really nice people
- made a new friend
- swerved in time and only had some deer hairs on my bumper rather than a doe through the windshield
- got 2 wild fish
- couldn't keep two others pinned
- saw some phenomal sunrises

IMG_5217a.jpg
IMG_5218[1].JPG
-barked at and/or talked with a couple seals
- saw some otters
- and reminded myself how friggin' lucky I was to be able to do all of this (y)

I stayed home today and yesterday and fished a local beach up in MA 7 where I caught a BEAUTY of a sea run this morning. ..... so I might head down to MA9 tomorrow for one more helping of pie...or I might stick around and head out to the local beach to see what I can find up here.

Hope you all had a good season

Mike d
:)

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Last MA9 session for me this morning was the best day I've had this season, besides the broken rod tip. I wasn't careful with it releasing that shaker, rod was pointing straight up, fish yanked, snap!

Hooked 5, lost 2. The 3 landed were all unclipped. Pretty solid fish and one was especially hot running all over the place ripping and slinging line around my neck :)
Thanks for the photos @jasmillo and @SteelHeadDave!

IMG_0427~3.jpgIMG_20220924_124106.jpg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Last MA9 session for me this morning was the best day I've had this season, besides the broken rod tip. I wasn't careful with it releasing that shaker, rod was pointing straight up, fish yanked, snap!

Hooked 5, lost 2. The 3 landed were all unclipped. Pretty solid fish and one was especially hot running all over the place ripping and slinging line around my neck :)
Thanks for the photos @jasmillo and @SteelHeadDave!

View attachment 33861View attachment 33862

Great day for you while the rest of us stood around digging through fly boxes trying to figure out what the hell we were doing wrong. I could be wrong but the one we missed the pic on may have been the biggest. The biggest fish I landed was about 2 lbs….and that is probably being generous.

Gorgeous morning to boot.

49E75F03-F6FC-428D-8E46-AF039A1929CE.jpeg

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Gave the golden hours to the fly rod to no avail this am. Caved to the herring gods calling out to me, went 2/3 on bait with two of the nicest fish of the season landed, both in the 8-9 pound class, both unclipped. Only had a few baits, which quickly ran out, so switched back to the fly rod to cruise the shoreline back to the truck and got me a feisty 12 incher.

Back home to feed the dog, then off to another beach, which others have noted, was void of all but salad. Another hour of that and home to relax, hit the beach with the pup, and listen to toddlers scream😝

More fun tomorrow…

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This was my 3rd beach salmon season. Progress up the learning curve continued, fish were caught, and most importantly a good time was had. I was fortunate enough to have the time and motivation to get out several times, learn some places a little bit better, and start getting familiar with some new to me beaches.

I wrapped up my MA9 season with Fri and Sat. morning sessions. It was generally slow except for getting broken off by one large, hot fish each day. Now I know it was @Kfish who had the hot hand yesterday. The Friday fish I can chalk up to my own negligence in failing to clear a windknot, but the Saturday fish broke off on a very fresh piece of 12# UG. That was the 3rd nice fish in a row I lost when trying to put the clamps down on a hot run parallel to the beach right before landing. I'll be more ready for that next year. I think I spoke briefly with @jasmillo in the parking lot, who confirmed that my plan to bump up to #15 next September was a good idea. Good luck to everyone closing it out today.

Bagman

Steelhead
This was my 3rd beach salmon season. Progress up the learning curve continued, fish were caught, and most importantly a good time was had. I was fortunate enough to have the time and motivation to get out several times, learn some places a little bit better, and start getting familiar with some new to me beaches.

I wrapped up my MA9 season with Fri and Sat. morning sessions. It was generally slow except for getting broken off by one large, hot fish each day. Now I know it was @Kfish who had the hot hand yesterday. The Friday fish I can chalk up to my own negligence in failing to clear a windknot, but the Saturday fish broke off on a very fresh piece of 12# UG. That was the 3rd nice fish in a row I lost when trying to put the clamps down on a hot run parallel to the beach right before landing. I'll be more ready for that next year. I think I spoke briefly with @jasmillo in the parking lot, who confirmed that my plan to bump up to #15 next September was a good idea. Good luck to everyone closing it out today.
I would bump up to 20lb max green. These are not fish that are leader shy.