Area 9 Opener

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Keep at it and it will happen.
One thing that will help is to always find and fish moving water and when possible, cast down and fish up through it more so then across it, though you will get fish that way as well.
While it’s nice to have clouds, I think most would take good tides over clouds. Having both is the best of both worlds.
These Stickman chronicles may help.
SF

View attachment 27709View attachment 27710View attachment 27711
It's almost like being there :)

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Keep at it and it will happen.
One thing that will help is to always find and fish moving water and when possible, cast down and fish up through it more so then across it, though you will get fish that way as well.
While it’s nice to have clouds, I think most would take good tides over clouds. Having both is the best of both worlds.
These Stickman chronicles may help.
SF

View attachment 27709View attachment 27710View attachment 27711
I was literally thinking just this morning that it's been a while since I've seen a Stonedfish beach doodle and thinking we needed some on the new site. Great timing!

Brian what are you thoughts/reasonings behind casting down current and retrieving up? There are times when I do this, but many instances where I feel casting perpendicular or even slightly upstream is advantageous. But I am merely an apprentice. As a note on imitating nature, I mostly see bait being pushed down current and not swimming up against it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I was literally thinking just this morning that it's been a while since I've seen a Stonedfish beach doodle and thinking we needed some on the new site. Great timing!

Brian what are you thoughts/reasonings behind casting down current and retrieving up? There are times when I do this, but many instances where I feel casting perpendicular or even slightly upstream is advantageous. But I am merely an apprentice. As a note on imitating nature, I mostly see bait being pushed down current and not swimming up against it.

Just a personal preference and confidence thing. It has more to do with what I believe the fish are doing rather what the baitfish are doing, which is moving up current.
SF

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
@M_D I will second, third, whatever the sentiment that current is more important than light condition. There are times when there is a definite "morning bite" that may bring some fish to the beach independent of tide. So if the tide kind of sucks, I'll fish the morning then call it (or move to a different location) once I don't see good current, bait, signs of fish and that goes for any overhead weather. However, if those other conditions are present I'll keep fishing.

I was at a beach on Sunday. Arrived late with jasmillo in full sun. The current was great, good coho chop, bait, lots of signs of fish. I felt pretty good about the fishing there through that part of the tide. Then I was meeting my family for some beach play time and hung out through the tide change as the currents mostly died and it wasn't fishy at all. But I sat there for a couple hours watching micro rips and then eventually a pretty strong rip set up that was absolutely LOADED with bait. We ended up leaving before it was quite fishable, but I would have happily stayed and fished that tide in the middle of the sunny day. The big thing you always have to remember though is the fish are migratory and there are less and less of them. So conditions can be absolutely perfect and you still might not catch a fish. It's a game of chance and the best thing you can do to increase your odds is to spend as much time as possible fishing the best conditions you can.

skyrise

Steelhead
good weather this morning. Rain, wind and a not bad current. Nothing when I first got there but then I saw some movement. Thinking these were resident coho. Tried several flies with no luck. But it was sure nice to fish around. Still wondering what might be the best fly/flies if these were resident coho ?

Reactions: M_D

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
good weather this morning. Rain, wind and a not bad current. Nothing when I first got there but then I saw some movement. Thinking these were resident coho. Tried several flies with no luck. But it was sure nice to fish around. Still wondering what might be the best fly/flies if these were resident coho ?

The folks catching in this thread are posting their goodies.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
1/3 today. Missed a rod tip eat and lost another one shortly after the grab at the first beach. I was the only fly guy there but the gear guys got a few. Lots of porpoises and bait at the second beach. Was able to get a buck with a belly full of ~3.5" inch herring to select a chart/white stinger clouser as his last meal. Great to have some cloud cover today.

1661028584327.jpeg

1661028555362.jpeg
1661028614064.jpeg

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice! I just one off our smoker as a matter of fact. What apricot jam did you use? I just did a standard 4 cups water 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup salt 1/4 tamari wet brine. I've tried finishing with light coats of honey and jalapeno jam in the past too.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Super tough weekend for me. 1-5 overall. This girl is all that came home with me. She looked better before she spent a couple hours in my backpack :).

A6FAB0CD-49A1-48BA-A098-5ECCC99E9E29.jpeg

Same tides last year around the same date whooped me as well, according to my logs. Good thing is, the following week was great and the tides certainly look much better next weekend.

Bagman

Steelhead
Nice! I just one off our smoker as a matter of fact. What apricot jam did you use? I just did a standard 4 cups water 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup salt 1/4 tamari wet brine. I've tried finishing with light coats of honey and jalapeno jam in the past too.
What salt are you using? It’s a good idea to buy a cheap balance as you really want to know the weight of your salt to the weigh of your brown sugar, you may also want to try a dry brine I find it to be a lot simper. Also the mess is easier to clean up.

Bagman

Steelhead
Super tough weekend for me. 1-5 overall. This girl is all that came home with me. She looked better before she spent a couple hours in my backpack :).

View attachment 28621

Same tides last year around the same date whooped me as well, according to my logs. Good thing is, the following week was great and the tides certainly look much better next weekend.
I’m hopping for a better day next week as well. I sure could use one.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What salt are you using?
I used this, simply because it was what we had in the house. I've used Morton's in the past too. Thank for the tip about the balance, that is a good idea. My wife has several kitchen tools that measure precisely including one of those, but I don't get more precise than a cup of packed brown sugar. A shortcoming I know. 😃
1661132534363.png
I used a dry brine exclusively last year of about 4 to 1 brown sugar to salt, onion power, and garlic salt. It worked great, but I actually found it a little messier as it turns into kind of sludge after it pulls some of the moisture out of the fish (placed skin up on the mixture). I can take no credit for any of this, just ideas that I came across on the old site once.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
What salt are you using? It’s a good idea to buy a cheap balance as you really want to know the weight of your salt to the weigh of your brown sugar, you may also want to try a dry brine I find it to be a lot simper. Also the mess is easier to clean up.

Im a dry brine smoker myself!
2/1 brine for however hrs needed,
Rinse well.
Dry overnight.
Smoke in alder below 200°, I'm usually smoking fish around 150° 180°

Simple!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Anyone else happen to notice a fair amount of geese flocks flying by this weekend?
The best season is right around the corner. 😉
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I did dry brine, 2 cups brown sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt, and some pepper. Super simple, I like simple.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Wait what's the correlation here? Pls fill me in :)

Probably none…..just me hoping the hot weather leaves and fall arrives soon. 😂
SF