Search results

1. Islander

Quick Trip

My wife is off visiting her family and unfortunately it is my responsibility to make sure her three dogs don’t die before she returns. They woke me up early this morning so I figured after getting them taken care of I might just hit the local C&R lake before the wind picked up. I gave myself...
  2. Islander

Cuttie Extravaganza

I have been targeting larger fish since the ice off and have been somewhat successful, but most trips it was quality over quantity. Wanting to switch things up a bit I headed over to a nearby P&T lake that is stocked with Yellowstone Cutthroat hoping to get a little more activity. I was about...
  3. Islander

Finally!

So the Seeger Effect (@Shawn Seeger) has been hitting Wyoming pretty hard lately. My hike in lake was ice free over a week ago, but high winds kept me from fishing. Then the temps dropped and it refroze to frustrate me even more. The near by C&R lake is usually the last to thaw out, but when...
  4. Islander

Good news…..Bad news!

Here in Wyoming, Mother Nature sets the date of the lakes “opener” for me and not Game & Fish, as pretty much all our stillwater is open 24/7, 365. Because I don’t include a sled and ice auger as part of my lake fishing equipment, I have to wait for ice off. With some milder temps recently, I...
  5. Islander

A Short Trip to the Beartooths & YNP

I headed out Sunday afternoon to check out a lake in YNP I have been wanting to fish. Trout Lake is about 10 miles south of the NE entrance and I was hoping it had seen little or no pressure for a while because of that entrance being closed after the flooding. It was reported to be a “short but...
  6. Islander

Rod Identification & Possible Repair

My neighbor gave me a couple of cane rods that were being restored by someone he knew but never finished. The one is completely done and it has a sticker that says “Genuine Tonkin Cane” and in cursive writing “Lucky Boy #13”. The second one has no markings but needs a reel seat. I doubt these...
  7. Islander

Gotta love brookies on a 3wt.

Now I’ll be the first to admit, I spend a lot of time after the thaw out and late fall targeting big fish. However, once the summer temps (finally) kick in, I head to elevation seeking cooler temps and smaller active fish. I came across this small 12 acre lake the first year we moved to Cody...
  8. Islander

Sunshine Reservoir, Wood & Greybull Rivers

I’m a little delinquent in posting this as it was last week when there was a couple days break in the rainy weather. I decided to take the trailer south and a bit west of the nearby town of Meeteetse. There is a large valley between the Wood and Greybull rivers that holds two reservoirs, Upper...
  9. Islander

It was worth the walk!

With the past several days of on and off rain I was glad to see bright blue skies this morning. I checked the forecast and it was supposed to be fine up until around 1-2pm, so I decided to enjoy the morning on the water. East Newton is my usual “short trip” lake but the rivers here lately have...
  10. Islander

Caddis Rod Holder

Used but not abused, Caddis brand rod holder for pontoon boat or float tube. $22 shipped. Thanks, Steve
  11. Islander

SOLD Fishpond Boat Bag

SOLD I just don’t use this anymore, so hopefully someone can put it to use. In great condition, has the hard plastic waterproof bottom, front pouch and zippered pouch in the lid. Inside has movable dividers and there’s a built in rain cover on the back side. All the zippers work fine, but I...
  12. Islander

Something old, something new.

I’ve been catching the stocker carry overs (Yellowstone cutthroat) pretty consistently on a Canadian Brown color simi-seal leech out of the P&T lake. So I wanted to see if that color would be productive on bigger fish in the C&R lake. Tied a couple up on larger hooks and headed to the water...
  13. Islander

FS Scotty Rail Mount

This came with a boat I got a while back but it didn’t have rails. Looks new, has mounting holes on top and one side. $22 shipped.
  14. Islander

Always trust the Oracle

In the last post about my local lake, @Roper reminded me that there is wisdom to be had by consulting the Trout Oracle @Scott Salzer. So, I managed to get him to share some of his knowledge with me for my outing today. Now you have to realize that the Oracle doesn’t randomly impart his valuable...
  15. Islander

Finally…….it’s been a long winter.

We returned home from our Whidbey Island trip on Tuesday and Wednesday morning I drove by our closest C&R lake to find it was ice free, yippee! I had appointments and such that day so I couldn’t fish it yet. Thinking Thursday is completely free I’d hit it then. Unfortunately after 65-70 degrees...
  16. Islander

Old Haunts…….Whidbey Island

I’m going to steal Bob’s title idea as I am doing a similar trip. We came back to the island to visit with family and I was able to sneak off for a couple of days on two of my old waters. Tuesday was beautiful with just a few clouds and mild wind. Hit Lone Lake for a few hours in the afternoon...
  17. Islander

FS Beach/Bass Poppers & Hooks SOLD

Not going to be making beach or bass poppers anymore. $35 shipped. Thanks, Steve
  18. Islander

FS Tying Materials (fur & hair) SOLD

Here’s the second batch with fur and hair. The 3 small unmarked bags are deer hair. There is also another full size buck tail dyed grey that didn’t get in the pictures. $45 shipped. Thanks, Steve
  19. Islander

FS Tying Materials (hackle & marabou) SOLD

With all the snow lately I’ve been going through all my tying materials. Most of these have very little usage and some none. I’ll be adding more, (fur & hair) soon. $35 shipped, less than a buck a package. Thanks, Steve
  20. Islander

A River Runs Almost Through It

Being primarily a stillwater guy, it gets a bit crazy here for me when the lakes are frozen for 3-4 months. Since moving here I have been threatening to learn more about river fishing since the Shoshone River flows right along the edge of town and this section below the dam is also spring fed...