It was worth the walk!

Islander

Life of the Party
With the past several days of on and off rain I was glad to see bright blue skies this morning. I checked the forecast and it was supposed to be fine up until around 1-2pm, so I decided to enjoy the morning on the water. East Newton is my usual “short trip” lake but the rivers here lately have been running the way I prefer my women, fast & dark. So, to avoid sharing a lake half the size of Lone with a bunch of river rafts and drift boats I opted for a hike in, C&R lake about 40 minutes north of town. The drive in was nice, with spotting of antelope, deer and even a prairie dog. I arrived at the parking area around 9, packed up the Cruzer and headed down the short trail of about a quarter mile. Pretty much had the place to myself with only one other tuber at the west end and later saw two folks fishing from shore. My experience on this lake has always been a quality over quantity situation and this morning was no different. I was able to get six in the net and one O&O in my four hours, but they were all nice fish. They went from 18-22 in the measure net and some had a pretty good girth also. The largest one actually came out of the water twice and landed with a loud splash on it’s side like a whale breaching, fun stuff! I made it back into town just as the clouds rolled in and I could see the rain coming down in the foothills.
9A8A35C8-EB2F-4495-AFBF-E76DDED67E0D.jpeg
662171D4-4C66-47CB-BD08-975C70D68BA6.jpeg
6B9DE94B-771F-4925-96D2-DCF6275010D2.jpeg
B691DE19-3A3E-4958-90D7-BE9C55416507.jpeg
This one had shoulders.
C5BAA7FC-B896-416D-AE81-4E09CC7703D9.jpeg
Getting this one oxygenated before he gave me the “F’you tail splash.
00D54F33-DB70-4B6C-8BF3-01980A92CE7F.jpeg
The smallest of the day, but he took me for a “sit & spin”.
CA13B9B3-5983-4BDA-8D05-AEFFA4693E79.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Real, real nice. What kind of line and flies? Looks like the lake has some nice flats and shallows. And obviously grows nice fish; the tails on those first two are formidable.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Beautiful place! It looks like the “W“ could be a factor there at times.

Islander

Life of the Party
Real, real nice. What kind of line and flies? Looks like the lake has some nice flats and shallows. And obviously grows nice fish; the tails on those first two are formidable.
My usual, full sink line (type 5) and a pumpkin head. With the weather warming up the fish were holding deeper than a trip earlier this year. Saw a couple cruising a shoal but they weren’t interested, so I went deep.
The shoals and flats are great in the fall, hoppers on a floater can be deadly.

Last edited:

Islander

Life of the Party
Beautiful place! It looks like the “W“ could be a factor there at times.
Yes! That’s for sure. Because it’s a C&R lake, not fly fishing only, a lot of the guys that fish the shoreline regularly will bring a spinning rod along also. Then, if the wind picks up they switch.

sidg

Freshly Spawned
Beautiful landscapes. I come there in the early December to photograph bighorn rut. Cody is a wonderful place.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
My usual, full sink line (type 5) and a pumpkin head. With the weather warming up the fish were holding deeper than a trip earlier this year. Saw a couple cruising a shoal but they weren’t interested, so I went deep.
The shoals and flats are great in the fall, hoppers on a floater can be deadly.
Maybe the Fall Fling should be in Cody…😉

Islander

Life of the Party
Do you mind sharing the elevation of this gem?
It’s just on the other side of the foothills north of Cody, so I would imagine its elevation is close to Cody’s which is around 5,000 feet. It’s not some secret place, there’s a P&T lake where the parking area is and then the C&R lake is a short hike from there. I think they both are irrigation reservoirs, it’s called Luce lake, can’t remember the other ones name.

Tippet

Smolt
I have had some great days on that lake. I think the other lake is Hogan Lake. I remember running into a grizzly out there once.

Islander

Life of the Party
I have had some great days on that lake. I think the other lake is Hogan Lake. I remember running into a grizzly out there once.
Yes, it is Hogan. I’ve had guys tell me about seeing grizzlies around, mostly at the west end by the foothills. Haven’t had the pleasure of seeing any myself, but if I shore fish I take the spray and the 10mm.